News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

State Road over State Name

Started by roadman65, August 28, 2017, 04:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Some states use the State Name before the route number when identifying their state routes, and some use State Road instead of the state name or abbreviate "SR."

Florida uses State Road over its state name to mention state designations in standard practice or talk.  Indiana too is another State Road user. 

New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania use the state abbreviation first.

Texas uses SH (State Highway) instead of neither.  Michigan and Kansas use the first letter of the state name for their respected state routes.

What does your state use?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jp the roadgeek

In  CT, we use CT xxx for signed numbered state routes (2-372), and SSR/SR xxx for unsigned state routes.  SSR=Special Service Road, a 400 series unsigned route that serves a state facility such as an airport or a state park.  SR= State Road, a 500-900 series route (depending on region) that is often short, unsigned, and usually is an offshoot of or connection between two signed state routes.  Verbally, I'll use "Route xxx" for signed routes, and the name of the street for the unnumbered route. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Flint1979

All Michigan State Highways have a diamond with an M at the top of the diamond. Like this one:

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: roadman65 on August 28, 2017, 04:40:44 PM
Some states use the State Name before the route number when identifying their state routes, and some use State Road instead of the state name or abbreviate "SR."

Florida uses State Road over its state name to mention state designations in standard practice or talk.  Indiana too is another State Road user. 

Texas uses SH (State Highway) instead of neither.  Michigan and Kansas use the first letter of the state name for their respected state routes.

I (and a few others) have a unified nomenclature for all state routes: It is (State abbreviation here) XX regardless of official use :sombrero:. SR states, KS, MI and TX be damned.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

formulanone

For the purposes of this forum (and filenames), I usually just use the state abbreviation. After all, SR can mean "state route" in many places and can mean "state road" elsewhere. If the state is understood in a specific thread, I'll defer to SR or SH as appropriate, but probably just stick to the state abbreviation.

Kansas and Michigan are exceptions, as K-123 or M-123 are more commonly used on this forum.

Texas is also an exception; because it has state highways, loops, spurs, farm/ranch-to-market routes; many of them with duplicate numbers...and then the oddities like OSR, Nasa 1, and "PA 1502", as further examples.

Thing 342

Standard practice for me is to use the state abbreviation, especially since in here in Virginia SR-XXX can also potentially refer to secondary routes (Although there are only two instances (VA-785 and VA-895), one signed (895), of where VA primary numbers could potentially overlap secondary numbers). Same thing goes for NC, however secondaries there are rarely prominently signed.

Eth

Georgia officially also uses SR, though here it means "State Route" rather than "State Road".

GaryV

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 28, 2017, 05:21:09 PM
All Michigan State Highways have a diamond with an M at the top of the diamond. Like this one:

Except like some of that one, where they are replacing the signs without the M, in hopes that fewer will be stolen.

cpzilliacus

Maryland uses MD, like MD-175 or MD-4. 

SR is almost unheard-of, perhaps in part because there is no signed secondary  network of highways (maintained by the state or the counties), unlike (for example) Virginia with its very extensive system of secondary routes in nearly all counties.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota often uses "TH" for Trunk Highway, sometimes for all classes of route and not just state routes.

Wisconsin will use "STH" which I'm not sure if that's just an expanded "state highway" or if it means "state trunk highway".
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Brandon

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 29, 2017, 09:22:53 PM
Minnesota often uses "TH" for Trunk Highway, sometimes for all classes of route and not just state routes.

Wisconsin will use "STH" which I'm not sure if that's just an expanded "state highway" or if it means "state trunk highway".

State trunk highway.  It goes along with "CTH" or county trunk highway.  Of course, everyone, including WisDOT calls them "highway".

Illinois usually uses the state name, i.e. "Illinois 50", "Ill 50", or "IL 50", when in text.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

CNGL-Leudimin

Here's a quick list of the official (primary) designations for each state. The state abbreviation also serves as the designation in the unified nomenclature (which is what I use):
AL: SR
AK: AK-
AZ: SR
AR: AR
CA: SR
CO: SH
CT: Route
DE: DE
FL: SR
GA: SR
HI: Route
ID: SH
IL: IL
IN: SR
IA: Iowa (What else? :sombrero:)
KS: K-
KY: KY
LA: LA
ME: SR
MD: MD
MA: Route
MI: M-
MN: MN (also TH as noted above)
MS: MS
MO: Route
MT: MT
NE: N-
NV: SR
NH: NH
NJ: Route
NM: NM
NY: NY
NC: NC
ND: ND
OH: SR
OK: SH
OR: OR
PA: PA
RI: Route
SC: SC
SD: SD
TN: SR
TX: SH (Also uses IH- instead of I- for Interstates)
UT: SR-
VT: VT
VA: Route (per WillWeaverRVA's post, below)
WA: SR
WV: WV
WI: WIS (also STH- as noted above)
WY: WYO

Bonus: DC 295.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

JasonOfORoads

Oregon generally uses "Oregon X", "Ore. X", "OR-X" when referring to state routes. Some roads, such as OR-217, go by "Highway 217", even though highways in Oregon are different than signed routes. (If the number were to match OR-217's underlying highway designation, it would be called "Highway 144".)

However, Washington is always "SR XX", like "SR 14" and "SR 500".
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jakeroot

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on September 07, 2017, 07:22:14 PM
Washington is always "SR XX", like "SR 14" and "SR 500".

Basically, yes. Sometimes, "Hwy" is used as well. Such as "Hwy 2", "Hwy 9" or "Hwy 18".

Officially, though, "SR" is the most common abbreviation. "Hwy" is more common in conversation, if at all.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 30, 2017, 07:47:06 AM
VA: VA

VA generally uses "Route" when referring to primary and secondary roads (using VA for primary and SR for secondary is unofficial), and "I-" when referring to interstates (most of the time, sometimes VDOT will use "Route" or "Route I-").
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on August 29, 2017, 06:24:38 AM

Except like some of that one, where they are replacing the signs without the M, in hopes that fewer will be stolen.
The only time I've seen the M missing is on overhead signs on freeways such as the Jeffries/Southfield interchange in Detroit. Going in both directions on the Jeffries it just has the 39 in a diamond even though the Southfield is M-39 still. Other than that though I've seen the M included on all of them. Without the M included they would look exactly like North Carolina's.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: roadman65 on August 28, 2017, 04:40:44 PMNew Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania use the state abbreviation first.

You're both right.  It's almost never "New Jersey Route" or "NJ Route", almost always just "Route".  But in contexts where abbreviations are used, and even five letters is too long -- so sometimes on signs, but pretty consistently in charts and the like in DOT documents -- it will be I-, US, and NJ.  It doesn't particularly make sense, but NJDOT is pretty consistent.

GaryV

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 08, 2017, 01:24:41 PM

The only time I've seen the M missing is on overhead signs on freeways such as the Jeffries/Southfield interchange in Detroit. Going in both directions on the Jeffries it just has the 39 in a diamond even though the Southfield is M-39 still. Other than that though I've seen the M included on all of them. Without the M included they would look exactly like North Carolina's.
Which is the point.  So many M-22 signs were stolen, they want to make them less desirable to take.  M-22 only.

myosh_tino

Caltrans uses "Route" for all numbered highways (Interstates, US Routes and State Routes).
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

TEG24601

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on September 07, 2017, 07:22:14 PM
Oregon generally uses "Oregon X", "Ore. X", "OR-X" when referring to state routes. Some roads, such as OR-217, go by "Highway 217", even though highways in Oregon are different than signed routes. (If the number were to match OR-217's underlying highway designation, it would be called "Highway 144".)

However, Washington is always "SR XX", like "SR 14" and "SR 500".

With Oregon, I always assumed that OR means "Oregon Route" for the signed routes, and usually use "Oregon Highway" for the unsigned routes or the underlying highway numbers.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Revive 755

Quote from: Brandon on August 30, 2017, 06:31:44 AM
Illinois usually uses the state name, i.e. "Illinois 50", "Ill 50", or "IL 50", when in text.

Except for some signing in the Chicago District of IDOT, where it is "IL Rte 50" or "ILL Rte 50" for older signs.
Example for IL 50 (older sign)

Example for IL 31

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on September 08, 2017, 07:59:42 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on September 08, 2017, 01:24:41 PM

Which is the point.  So many M-22 signs were stolen, they want to make them less desirable to take.  M-22 only.
Where abouts on M-22 have you seen this? I'm just asking because I drove on M-22 this summer bascially from Onekama to Crystal Lake and either wasn't paying attention so I don't remember or didn't notice the M missing. Something like that though I think I would have noticed it.

bzakharin

Quote from: Kacie Jane on September 08, 2017, 06:59:11 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 28, 2017, 04:40:44 PMNew Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania use the state abbreviation first.

You're both right.  It's almost never "New Jersey Route" or "NJ Route", almost always just "Route".  But in contexts where abbreviations are used, and even five letters is too long -- so sometimes on signs, but pretty consistently in charts and the like in DOT documents -- it will be I-, US, and NJ.  It doesn't particularly make sense, but NJDOT is pretty consistent.
NJ 511 phone info uses "Interstate" and "county route". State and US are both "Route". I'm not sure how out-of-state routes are handled. I've only heard local streets (not route numbers) mentioned on the other side of a bridge under construction.

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 28, 2017, 06:32:18 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 28, 2017, 04:40:44 PM

I (and a few others) have a unified nomenclature for all state routes: It is (State abbreviation here) XX regardless of official use :sombrero:. SR states, KS, MI and TX be damned.

That's what I use too.  It just comes the most naturally, especially if you don't know The Official Nomenclature.

Here in Wisconsin, the official term, as stated, is "State Trunk Highway" (STH), but abbreviations like WI and WIS are common too, and most people refer to everything as "highway" anyway.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.