News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Isolated exits

Started by hotdogPi, August 31, 2017, 01:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

I'm surprised this thread doesn't already exist. I did a forum search for both isolated exits and "exit 15" i-89, and none of the results turned up this topic.

I noticed that Exit 15 (Old Route 10) on I-89 only has a few roads. The roads at this exit are isolated; to get anywhere else by car, you need to get back on I-89.

The roads in Jamestown, RI also qualify (with RI 138 being the freeway), albeit trivially, as it's an island.

This may be much more common out west, but I don't know of any other examples.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Flint1979

There was an exit off I-10 outside of New Orleans that led to nowhere. I'm pretty sure they have closed that exit down and abandoned it. It'd be in the Bayou Sauvage National Wildlife Refuge. If you look on Google Maps you'll be able to see it.

PHLBOS

Granted this one's on an island but I'll mention it anyway.

Atlantic City High School (on Great Island) interchange off US 40/322

Here's how it's signed.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Exit 21 off of NJ 55 is about as isolated as you'll get off an exit in NJ.  Going east, you quickly run into a dirt road.  The road had two sets of gates to prevent anyone from using it, and per the aerial views eventually ends across some railroad tracks as what appears to be a unofficial track crossing.  Going west, you pass by a campground that, by judging the aerial views, isn't kept in all that great of shape. 

While the exit isn't truly isolated, it's a strangely barren exit with no real purpose of existence unlike almost any other exit in the state. It does connect with NJ 47, on which there's no signage whatsoever informing you that taking the road will lead you to NJ 55. 

formulanone

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 31, 2017, 01:24:40 PM
There was an exit off I-10 outside of New Orleans that led to nowhere. I'm pretty sure they have closed that exit down and abandoned it. It'd be in the Bayou Sauvage National Wildlife Refuge. If you look on Google Maps you'll be able to see it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.0949826,-89.9048455,7728m/data=!3m1!1e3

One of them is still active, one is locked (although Google SV managed a ride though it), but the one in the middle is succumbing to nature.

froggie

^ The one that is "still active" connects to Michoud Blvd and thus has egress points that don't require going back to I-10.  The one Flint was referring to was the northern of those three interchanges, which closed post-Katrina and actually had the ramp termini pavement taken out a few years ago.

Mapmikey

I-64 Exit 1 in Virginia is like this (Jerry's Run).  You can access the frontage road (old US 60) which doesn't connect to anything else and some national forest trails.

PHLBOS

While not an interchange per say, Dory Rd. at MA 128/Blackburn Circle in Gloucester.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Sanctimoniously

This may be a stretch of the OP's point, but Exit 7 (Ruddock) and Exit 15 (Manchac) on the Manchac Swamp Bridge segment of I-55 in Louisiana only lead to Old U.S 51, which runs right next to the interstate.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

SectorZ

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 31, 2017, 02:29:34 PM
While not an interchange per say, Dory Rd. at MA 128/Blackburn Circle in Gloucester.

Isn't it exit 10, or at least inferred as being such on signage going into Gloucester on 128? I don't know if exit number = interchange in reality, though.

CtrlAltDel

There was a thread on "dead-end" exits a while back you might be interested in:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=12718.0
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

hotdogPi

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 31, 2017, 03:04:40 PM

I started that thread too...

oscar

The Interstates in the Mountain West states have numerous "ranch exits", serving only one or a few ranches. They exist because the property owner needs road access and a long frontage road would be too expensive. Also, it gives drivers a chance to pull well off the freeway for a quick nap or deal with mechanical problems, or to make a safe U-turn when they belatedly realize they don't have enough fuel to make it to the next gas station.

A search for "isolated" might be too narrow, there might be one or more "ranch exit" threads.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

BrianP

Quote from: 1 on August 31, 2017, 03:07:31 PM

So you asked the same question twice?
Quoteto get anywhere else by car, you need to get back on I-89
Quotethat you have to get back on at the same exit

hotdogPi

Quote from: BrianP on August 31, 2017, 03:22:24 PM
Quote from: 1 on August 31, 2017, 03:07:31 PM

So you asked the same question twice?
Quoteto get anywhere else by car, you need to get back on I-89
Quotethat you have to get back on at the same exit

Yes, but by accident. I didn't realize the other thread existed when I created this one.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: oscar on August 31, 2017, 03:10:29 PM
The Interstates in the Mountain West states have numerous "ranch exits"

Do they have blue cheese exits as well? :spin:

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on August 31, 2017, 03:28:21 PM
Quote from: oscar on August 31, 2017, 03:10:29 PM
The Interstates in the Mountain West states have numerous "ranch exits"

Do they have blue cheese exits as well? :spin:

I'm assuming there are a few exits in the Thousand Islands region along I-81, right? :D
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hbelkins

The Bazaar Cattle Pens exit on the Kansas Turnpike.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheStranger

Although not completely isolated (due to a frontage road that continues southwest to Pedrick Road), the exit for Kidwell Road in Dixon, CA off of Interstate 80 leads to essentially three cul de sacs

SAMSUNG-SM-J327A

Chris Sampang

1995hoo

They're not signed as exits, but there are a few ramps on I-75 in the Everglades that access gated roads or parking areas. You have to come back to the same place to leave, as far as I know.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

PHLBOS

Quote from: SectorZ on August 31, 2017, 03:02:19 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on August 31, 2017, 02:29:34 PM

Isn't it exit 10, or at least inferred as being such on signage going into Gloucester on 128? I don't know if exit number = interchange in reality, though.
Actually, no; this intersection was never numbered.  Exit 11 is Grant Circle/MA 127, Exit 10 is the signalized intersection w/MA 127 & Exit 9 is the signalized intersection w/MA 127A & 128's northern terminus.

To my knowledge, this BGS & this LGS are the only remaining evidence, to my knowledge, of 128's Exits 11, 10 & 9 on signage.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jp the roadgeek

Probably the most isolated CT exits are the pair of Exit 1's off of SR 695 to Ross Rd and Squaw Rock Rd.  Not much off of either exit other than a lesser known state park.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

TheStranger

Exit 23 off of I-40 in Newberry Springs, Fort Cady Road, leads to one of the most well-known (for auto enthusiasts) stretches of isolated road in California:

http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/mrs-orcutts-driveway/view/google/
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/mrs-orcutts-driveway
https://goo.gl/maps/2DNp7cJffL12

The exit however is not as isolated as other examples in this thread though as it connects southward to old US 66, and has a gas station at one corner.
Chris Sampang

Truvelo

This is my idea of an isolated exit. The yellow sign in the distance sums it up. I thought it was worth spending a few minutes getting out the car to take the photos.

Speed limits limit life

plain

"Exit 1" on I-10 in Louisiana is literally a U-turn. I laughed when I saw it. Likewise, Exit 880 on the Texas side almost does the same thing except it takes you to the welcome center WB (the exit from both directions takes you here)
Newark born, Richmond bred

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.