News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Why Arkansas Opts Out Of Certain Signing Practices In The MUTCD?

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, September 07, 2017, 09:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

So, I find myself on Interstate-Guide.com every now and then, and I see some practices that other states follow that use the national MUTCD, and then there's us (Arkansas) and I wonder why we don't just have our own MUTCD or a suplement to it? :hmmm: Like, the MUTCD is a "BIG Maybe" in the way it is written. So, as a state, we really (give or take) don't use Business Loop signing practices. We don't use "Spur" or "Business" plaques. I have seen the signs of "10S" or "US 71B". I am sure there are others, I just wonder why we go through the trouble of being picky when we could've written our own standards.

Any thoughts?
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

cjk374

I have always seen business & spur banners on signs in AR, on the same post as the shields with a B or S next to the number. My biggest gripes with AHTD are as follows:

1. Concurrencies not signed at all.

2. There are pieces of a state route (88, 335 & 160 are the first that come to mind) that are in different disconnected counties and no way to connect them.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Scott5114

The letter-suffix method is slightly cheaper to post and arguably less confusing, as the distinction between "10" and "10B" is arguably clearer (and shorter to say) than "10" and "10 Business".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bjrush

I don't think anyone is "opting out" of anything. It's just lazy folks in field offices who don't give a hell about the MUTCD
Woo Pig Sooie

roadman65

I always thought AR is like TN and NC with Alternate Routes using the A suffixes just with B for Business instead.

Yeah its unusual, but like 374 says the lack of signing concurrencies like US 62 64 on I-49, or US 71 on the freeways around Fort Smith and Van Buren is more of an issue considering many US routes are major routes that should be trailblazed.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: roadman65 on September 13, 2017, 02:00:08 PM
I always thought AR is like TN and NC with Alternate Routes using the A suffixes just with B for Business instead.

Yeah its unusual, but like 374 says the lack of signing concurrencies like US 62 on I-49, or US 71 on the freeways around Fort Smith and Van Buren is more of an issue considering many US routes are major routes that should be trailblazed.
There are like only two trailblazers that I know of that sign US 64 and US 71(B) (I forget if the other one I am thinking of signs US 71 B, so that is the reason for that) together.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.