News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Central PA Road meet Part 2 Fall 2018 to spring 2019 time frame

Started by jpi, September 19, 2017, 10:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpi

Hi Everyone, Road Geeks and Railroad Enthusiasts  :awesomeface:
Besides the Central Susquehanna Valley Road Meet I am planning in the spring 2018 I am also eyeing up another central PA based road meet, this one focusing more on my home county of York and another big construction project on I-83, central PA's first diverging diamond interchange at the Shrewsbury interchange in southern York County. I will be back in the York\ Harrisburg area this weekend and next week and besides scouting for the other road meet I plan on scouting for this road meet.

This would start with lunch around 11am at one of the Shrewsbury area restaurants (options include my place of employment and some local places) then we would park at the nearby Shrewsbury Commons Shopping Center (Wal-Mart anchored) and we would get our car pool ready and also get a nice view of the interchange construction. Next a drive up I-83 north to the PA 214 Loganville exit, we would get off here and take 214 west towards Seven Valleys, the part of 214 from I-83 to west of Loganville was re-aligned about 10 years ago and is a nice improved 2 lane road. From 214 west we would go north on Reynolds Mill Rd (this is a rural part of York County and I spent the first 9 years of my life growing up in the area) we follow Reynolds Mill Rd to Twin Arch Rd.

Now for the Railroad fans, Twin Arch Rd goes under the old Northern Central Railroad which has a nice hiking trail running along it. We would then proceed to Brillhart Station parking area and hike the trail roughly 1 and a half miles one way to the oldest active rail tunnel in the USA, Howard Tunnel. From here we would hike back, after that we could head back to 83 and by then the Mt Rose Ave interchange should (hopefully) be close to finished by then and there may be a widening project in the works for 83 between Market st and N. George St exits.

Again I am open for any and all suggestions\ feedback. My plan is this coming Monday afternoon scouting from Shrewsbury to the rail trail and time the walk from our parking spot to the tunnel. Weather of course will be a BIG factor for this meet and a good pair of sneakers. I am thinking either first weekend in October 2018 or hold off until April\ May 2019 a year after the CSVT road meet. Again open to any and all feedback. :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

noelbotevera

I wanna hold this off till 2019. I'm planning to head down to Cedar Point in summer of 2018, and we're trying to conserve cash.

The only reason we can go to the one you planned in Spring 2018 was because we can do these cheaply since it's only two of us (me and my dad), can do it one day since it's close by, and can buy food and drink cheaply (diners or Sheetz MTO or whatever). I could see if I can squeeze it in in late 2018, but no promises.

Brandon

Spring 2019 might be better, just to have a bit more space between Pennsylvania meets.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

briantroutman

Barring any unforeseen circumstances or schedule conflicts, I'll give an open RSVP to attend any and all meets within Pennsylvania, so count me in for this one as well as the CSVT one.

I'm fine with doing both in the same year, but obviously I have a shorter distance to travel than others. Does the construction schedule at the Shrewsbury project make either fall 2018 or spring 2019 a more attractive time to hold that meet (i.e. more going on, more interesting phase of the project, etc.)?

froggie

My preference would be for post-project and not the middle of construction, especially in an area with as tight confines as Shrewsbury.

jpi

Looks like this will take place spring 2019, that is fine as that will give a "buffer" between these 2 meets, also construction should be further along and we can also see the end result with the Mt Rose Ave interchange project. I am still planning on the Howard tunnel rail trail segment, again the weather will be a BIG factor in this and on a side note, I am considering another Memphis, TN area meet in 2019 with I-269 construction wrapping up but should not conflict with this. Thanks for the feedback guys! :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: jpi on September 20, 2017, 05:15:58 PM
I am considering another Memphis, TN area meet in 2019 with I-269 construction wrapping up but should not conflict with this.

I would be interested in attending another Memphis meet. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

Ok, I took a drive down to Brillhart Station in North Codorus Township York County today. From there I walked the York Co Heritage Rail Trail south to Howard Tunnel. Overall a nice walk, 3/4 of it shaded by trees and it was unusually warm for a late September afternoon. It took me around 40 minutes to walk to the tunnel from Brillhart Station, I took some pics which I plan to post on facebook this week then walked back.

Based on the time of the year I plan to put this on it should not be as hot as it was today but I am all for sunshine and maybe a cool breeze, there was a few joggers and bikers on the trail today too. Also of note my cell phone signal was spotty at best at Brillhart station but by the time I got close to the tunnel it was actually pretty good. I did not get a chance to get down to Shrewsbury today but I may try tomorrow. Stay tuned for more details  :sombrero:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.