News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5280

I don't think I would even call the nearly 6 mile long freeway strip by Fort Chaffee a "stub" of I-49 since it doesn't connect to I-49 at this point (and probably won't for at least the next several years).

Quote from: GreenLanternCorpsWhat exactly has been done so far for I-49 from the Texas state line to the US 71 and AR 549 intersection south of Fort Smith?  What plans, if any, exist for this route?

Oh there's plenty of plans. The basic alignment of I-49 between Fort Smith and Texarkana has already been charted, although that alignment could change as efforts are made to acquire the right of way for the highway. Right now there's no funding for any of the segments. The current game plan is first to fill the gap between the I-40/I-49 interchange in Alma to Barling and the existing freeway next to Fort Chaffee. That project will cost $400 million or $500 million and up depending on how long they wait to build that segment. The unfinished Belle Vista Bypass is big priority.

After that it's anyone's guess what segments of I-49 will be built next. Will it simply be extended farther and farther South from Fort Smith in linear fashion (similar to how I-69 is being built in Indiana)? Or will AR DOT choose to build freeway bypasses for Mansfield, Mena, Waldron and Ashdown and then work to fill in the gaps? I would think the latter would be a smarter approach in terms of securing ROW before it gets suffocated and blocked by developers in those towns.

Then there's the issue whether or not to build this section of I-49 as a toll road. It's a difficult choice. The "pro" side of building that part of I-49 as a toll road is the facility might get built much faster. The "con" side of it: a toll road wouldn't be able to cannibalize any of the existing US-71 alignment (which is part of the current plan). US-71 would have to be maintained as a "free" parallel facility. Much of an I-49 toll road would have to be built on a new terrain alignment, which would probably greatly increase costs. This route has to go through some mountainous territory, part of which makes being able to build over US-71 so important. The cost of an expensive, new terrain toll road going through mountains would make it even more critical for the road to attract enough traffic and toll revenue for the road to pay for itself. There would be great potential for lots and lots of shunpiking.

Of course, we're all already familiar with the difficulties of building "free" highways funded (mostly) with fuel taxes. The roads just don't get completed for a very long time. And that's how I-49 between Fort Smith and Texarkana is looking. I think the chances are very slim the road would be built as a toll road. I also think it may be decades (like 30-40 years from now at the earliest) before I-49 is ever finished as a "free" freeway. The United States government would need to have a very radical change of heart in how it regards infrastructure funding (particularly highways) before we ever see big spans of highway get built with any sort of speed ever again. The states don't have the money to fund projects like this all on their own. And the federal grant money that becomes available from time to time almost seems like treating a cancer patient with money for a box of band-aids.

US71

I've been told by AHTD, they have a preliminary Exit list for I-49 in Arkansas. They werer supposed to send me a copy, but haven't yet.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Grzrd

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on September 17, 2017, 05:22:03 PM
What exactly has been done so far for I-49 from the Texas state line to the US 71 and AR 549 intersection south of Fort Smith?  What plans, if any, exist for this route?

Nothing has been done so far. Here is an ARDOT map showing the proposed route.  If you want to dig deeper:

Texarkana to Dequuen FEIS: http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/FEIS_U.S.71_TXK-DeQueen_and_TXK_North_Loop.pdf
Texarkana to DeQuuen FEIS Appendix: http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/FEIS_U.S.71_TXK-DeQueen_and_TXK_North_Loop_(appendix).pdf
DeQueen to I-40 FEIS: http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/FEIS_U.S.71_DeQueen-I-40.pdf
DeQuuen to I-40 FEIS Appendix:http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/FEIS_U.S.71_DeQueen-I-40_(appendix).pdf

Keep in mind that these have some age and might have to be redone.

Here is proposed mileage: http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49-Proposed-Mileage.pdf
Proposed exit numbering from Louisiana to Polk County, Arkansas: http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49-Proposed-Mileage.pdf
Proposed exit numbering From Polk Conty Fort Chaffee area: http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49-Proposed-Mileage.pdf
Proposed exit numbering from Fort Chaffee to Missouri state line: http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49_Exits_3.pdf

The Ghostbuster

How much more of future Interstate 49 has to be constructed before they renumber the exits on the portion of Interstate 49 that used to be part of Interstate 540? If I called the shots, those exits would already have been renumbered.

US71

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 18, 2017, 05:32:21 PM
How much more of future Interstate 49 has to be constructed before they renumber the exits on the portion of Interstate 49 that used to be part of Interstate 540? If I called the shots, those exits would already have been renumbered.

I'm guessing when it is finished.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 18, 2017, 05:32:21 PM

I'm not a expert, but probably not until the final mileage is determined between Texarkana and Fort Smith. 

However, AR 549 at Fort Smith does have exit numbers.

Bobby5280

Under the current approach it will take so many years (or decades) for I-49 to get filled in between Texarkana and Fort Smith that all the highway signs along existing I-49 will go through numerous graphics replacement cycles. The vinyl lettering and diamond grade reflective backgrounds don't have a very long life span.

If the proposed alignment of I-49 between Fort Smith and Texarkana is altered and causes changes to overall mileage and exit numbers then the exit tabs will just have to be swapped or replaced as the need occurs. There's no need to do any of that now. None of us really know the final alignment that will materialize, if it ever materializes. There is still a good chance that segment of highway will never be built.

US71

Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 20, 2017, 12:35:21 PM
Under the current approach it will take so many years (or decades) for I-49 to get filled in between Texarkana and Fort Smith that all the highway signs along existing I-49 will go through numerous graphics replacement cycles. The vinyl lettering and diamond grade reflective backgrounds don't have a very long life span.

Some of the signs have recently been replaced or in the process thereof. Based on what I've observed, as 49 is 6-laned, a lot of the exit signs will  be put on gantries vs simply stuck on the shoulder, as was done along I-540 in Ft Smith a few years ago.

bugo

Quote from: US71 on August 23, 2017, 11:28:45 AM
Quote from: sparker on August 22, 2017, 11:35:06 PM
Quote from: Tomahawkin on August 22, 2017, 07:53:15 PM
I proposed it be a toll route on here long ago because I did a paper in college about it 10 years ago. If this road gets built. It will probably be built in 2-3 year segments like I 22 was built in NW Alabama, but that took 10 years too long to complete, IMO

The problem with a toll road is the alternatives available for shunpiking -- mainly US 271/59/259 about 25-30 miles west over the state line.  Still think a long-term incremental approach is the one that'll eventually be utilized here -- simply because it won't piss off the local residents as much as a tolled facility would -- particularly one that would subsume rather than parallel US 71 for much of its length. 

I would NOT recommend 271 or 259 for shumpiking. Too winding and steep.

If I were going to avoid US 71 and 59 from Fort Smith to Nacogdoches, I would take OK 112 from Pocola to Poteau. It is about 6 miles shorter than staying on US 271 and a fairly fast drive. It's a nice smooth 2 lane highway with long straight stretches, albeit choked with traffic. US 271 is 4 lanes but slower. The only slow part of OK 112 is the section through Pocola. US 271 goes through Spiro, Panama and Shady Point which have speed zones. The only town OK 112 goes through is Cameron, and it barely skirts the edge of the town and there is no speed zone there. OK 112 is 65 MPH from the US 59/Bypass 59/271/OK 112 interchange on the north side of Poteau to the south side of Pocola. Panama is a notorious speed trap with no traffic lights but a speed limit of 35. It should have been bypassed decades ago, but it's unlikely that a Panama bypass will be built in any of our lifetimes. Pocola is another notorious speed trap.

As for the rest of the drive, US 59 from Poteau to the Arkansas line is a pretty decent road. It has a speed limit of 65 and the entire stretch can easily be driven at 65 except for a curve south of Hodgen which can be taken at 65 but most drivers will slow to 55 or so unless you get stuck behind a slow truck. There are several passing zones, however, and traffic is usually very light.

As for US 259, there are some sharp curves from US 59/270 to just south of OK 1 and over Kiamichi Mountain but the rest of the route is mostly long sweeping curves that can be taken at high speeds. The worst curve north of Big Cedar is the curve where 259 goes under OK 1. The curves over Kiamichi Mountain are pretty bad, but only for a short stretch. US 259 is a modern 2 lane highway which was built on a mostly new alignment in the '50s and '60s to then modern specifications as opposed to US 71 where they basically paved the old cow paths and the road undulates over every little hill and through every little valley and has many unnecessary curves. It has a well-deserved reputation as a deadly highway.

When I drive from Mena to Fort Smith, I almost always take US 59 to OK 112 to US 271 instead of staying on US 71. Going through Poteau is about 5 miles longer but the speed limit in Oklahoma is 65 while the speed limit in Arkansas is only 55. US 71 is slow and curvy and hilly and is choked with truck traffic. The route through Heavener and (around) Poteau is a better road and has far less traffic than the route through Mansfield and Waldron. It's a no-brainer for me.

bugo

Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 17, 2017, 09:42:37 PM
The "pro" side of building that part of I-49 as a toll road is the facility might get built much faster. The "con" side of it: a toll road wouldn't be able to cannibalize any of the existing US-71 alignment (which is part of the current plan).

As far as I know, the only part of I-49 that will lie directly on top of US 71 is the stretch through Foran Gap (part of the US 270 piggyback, this is the stretch northeast of Mena with the big sweeping S curve). There is enough room through Foran Gap to put both lanes of I-49 next to the current US 71-270 alignment if they really want to. The rest of the highway will be new terrain.

bugo

Is there an updated map showing the proposed alignment between Alma and Texarkana?

Is there any updated news on the Mena bypass? I haven't read anything new about it in a while.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on August 16, 2017, 10:53:41 AM
In ARDOT's July 26, 2017 presentation to the Arkansas State Highway Commission, they informed the Commission that they will submit the joint application for the Bella Vista Bypass as an INFRA grant application by the November 2 deadline (pp. 25-26/85 of pdf):

I had wondered why ARDOT's Sept. 6 presentation to the Arkansas State Highway Commission did not include the above joint application for the Bella Vista Bypass among the ARDOT INFRA applications, and I believe that this article provides the answer: ARDOT is allowing the Northwest Arkansas Regional Planning Commission to submit an application instead:

The Northwest Arkansas Regional Planning Commission will apply for a federal grant to help cash-strapped Missouri finish its part of Interstate 49 around Bella Vista.
"It's a long shot, but nothing ventured, nothing gained," said Jeff Hawkins, executive director of regional planning. "It's totally within our planning area, both sides of the line."
The Bella Vista bypass is now labeled the Missouri/Arkansas Interstate 49 Connector Project to better denote its regional significance, planners said.

Missouri has acquired the right of way, done an environmental study, designed the road and set aside $18.4 million for the project, regional planners were told. But,Missouri is about $32.4 million short.
Arkansas has money set aside for its remaining portion of the highway.
It is hoped the $32.4 million will come from a federal Department of Transportation grant program known as Infrastructure for Rebuilding America.
The $1.5 billion in discretionary money is earmarked for projects that involve moving freight. The program looks to use local and state money for highways and ports.
The money would be given to Missouri, which would then build the highway.
The federal program is specifically focused on projects in which a local sponsor is significantly invested and is positioned to proceed rapidly to construction, according to a news release.
"It meets the criteria just like it was written for it," Hawkins said of the project.
Planners approved a resolution to apply for the grant Wednesday afternoon. It has the support of the Missouri and Arkansas departments of transportation.
"I think it's a wonderful project. Scott Bennett and I have discussed it, and we support it and I know the commission will support it," Arkansas Highway Commission chairman Dick Trammel said. "What I like about this project is departments came together, municipal units came together -- everybody came together to try to make this possible." ....
Missouri officials earlier this year asked the Northwest Arkansas Regional Planning Commission to amend the region's Transportation Improvement Plan, which includes McDonald County, Mo., and move the project back until at least 2021. The improvement plan is a list of federally funded transportation projects proposed by various communities, transit providers, the commission, and the Arkansas and Missouri transportation departments.
Frank Miller, a planning manager for the Missouri Department of Transportation southwest division, said the department is just trying to maintain the infrastructure it has with the money it has available ....

I think that this is a "cleaner" request since the territory involved is all under one organization's area; it doesn't mean that they will get it, but they are giving it a well-thought out shot.

edit

This TV video provides a good description of the grant application.

Also, there is another article about it:

Tim Conklin, assistant director for the Northwest Arkansas Regional Planning Commission ....
"It's a project that is of national significance, not only for Arkansas but for the state of Missouri,"  Conklin said.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

If this helps anyone. It's news on AR[US] 62 and AR 102 (I-49 widening)
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on October 04, 2017, 11:32:13 AM
If this helps anyone. It's is news on AR 62 and AR 102 (I-49 widening)

US 62 :)

That whole area is a clusterf*ck right now because they are also building the 8th St interchange.

On a side note,  Exit 88 (AR 72) has been split into two exits northbound.  88A is AR 72 E , 88B is "West East Central Ave".

Southbound, it still appears to be one exit.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on October 04, 2017, 11:46:22 AM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on October 04, 2017, 11:32:13 AM
If this helps anyone. It's is news on AR 62 and AR 102 (I-49 widening)

US 62 :)

That whole area is a clusterf*ck right now because they are also building the 8th St interchange.

On a side note,  Exit 88 (AR 72) has been split into two exits northbound.  88A is AR 72 E , 88B is "West East Central Ave".

Southbound, it still appears to be one exit.
In my defense, they only stated "HWY 62", so there was confussion. :)
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Wayward Memphian

sparker

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on November 06, 2017, 12:40:50 PM
https://talkbusiness.net/2017/11/arkansasmissouri-connector-could-open-in-2022-if-commission-receives-grant/

Hasn't this grant process been in the works for some time now?....and is there a specific date when any announcements about whether the I-49 project would actually receive the grant would be made?

Gordon

Wednesday low bid for 090508, Hwy 71 to Co.Rd. 34 on the Bella Vista Bypass was 27,505,530.86 by Kolb Grading. More progress on I 49 of closing the gap between Arkansas and Missouri. Maybe the INFRA grant will come thru sometime in early next year to finish it.

Gordon

Hopefully this will help get the INFRA Grant that NWA commission is asking for.                                                                                               ROCK (KFSM) – The state Highway Commission has approved a bid to expand the Bella Vista Bypass between U.S. 71 and Benton County 34, according to a news release.

The commission  on Monday (Nov. 20) awarded a $27.5 million contract to Kolb Grading, LLC to construct 8.8 miles of two additional lanes of Arkansas 549, commonly called the Bella Vista Bypass.

The company, based out of St. Charles, Mo., is expected to begin work in two to four weeks, weather permitting, according to the release.

The Arkansas Department of Transportation expects the project to be finished by late 2019.

The bypass runs west from the roundabout on North Walton Boulevard in Bentonville and passes through portions of Hiwasse and unincorporated Benton County before terminating at Benton County 34.

Henry

I'll believe it when I see them working on it. Hopefully, it will be done within the next decade, because wasn't it MO who refused to extend their own portion of the bypass until AR did so for theirs?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

O Tamandua

Quote from: Gordon on November 21, 2017, 10:23:51 PM
Hopefully this will help get the INFRA Grant that NWA commission is asking for.                                                                                               ROCK (KFSM) – The state Highway Commission has approved a bid to expand the Bella Vista Bypass between U.S. 71 and Benton County 34, according to a news release.

The commission  on Monday (Nov. 20) awarded a $27.5 million contract to Kolb Grading, LLC to construct 8.8 miles of two additional lanes of Arkansas 549, commonly called the Bella Vista Bypass.

The company, based out of St. Charles, Mo., is expected to begin work in two to four weeks, weather permitting, according to the release.

The Arkansas Department of Transportation expects the project to be finished by late 2019.

The bypass runs west from the roundabout on North Walton Boulevard in Bentonville and passes through portions of Hiwasse and unincorporated Benton County before terminating at Benton County 34.

Like him or not, this pretty much jibes with what Dick Trammell said a year or two back...words to the effect of: "From here on out, you'll likely see continuous construction (on the Arkansas side) of the Bella Vista Bypass until it's finished."

US71

Quote from: O Tamandua on November 22, 2017, 07:52:10 PM

Like him or not, this pretty much jibes with what Dick Trammell said a year or two back...words to the effect of: "From here on out, you'll likely see continuous construction (on the Arkansas side) of the Bella Vista Bypass until it's finished."

He's going to sprain his arm one of these days patting himself on the back.  </sarcasm>

O Tamandua

Quote from: US71 on November 22, 2017, 08:16:57 PM
Quote from: O Tamandua on November 22, 2017, 07:52:10 PM

He's going to sprain his arm one of these days patting himself on the back.  </sarcasm>

Understood.  As long as what he says comes true in a timely enough fashion, more power to him.

US71

The rebuild at I-49 and AR 112 appears to almost be finished. Road crews were paving the new Exit 67 A-B ramps off SB 49 today.

67A replaces exit 66 and will be AR 112/ Garland Ave

67B is US 71 B/ Fulbright Expressway.

It's going to be a clusterf*ck until people are used to it.

Traffic turning onto NB 49 from NB 112 now have a separate ramp apart from the mainline 49 that will split into I-49 and 71B.
Mainline 49 will have it's own exit to 71B and the ramps will merge, as will the ramps for NB 49, which will also merge with traffic entering from 71B.

SB 49 will no longer have a direct exit to AR 112, but a separate lane of traffic. 

And remember: there is never enough time or money to do the job right the first time, but plenty of time and money to go back and fix things ;)

GreenLanternCorps

Ran Across the below article a couple of days ago on a political comment website that I frequent.

Also had to explain to a commenter on how a state could apply tolls to a "Federal" highway...   :rolleyes:

https://www.equipmentworld.com/ark-dot-studies-possible-first-toll-road-for-state/

Ark. DOT studies possible first toll road for state
Don McLoud | December 26, 2017

A future Interstate 49 and whether it will become Arkansas' first toll road are being considered, with public meetings likely coming in early 2018, reports KFSM news station.

The interstate section being considered would stretch from Barling to Alma over the Arkansas River. The Arkansas Department of Transportation has commissioned a study on charging tolls on the future highway section.

The study is scheduled to be completed next fall, and public meetings are expected at the first of 2018 to get public input on the project, the station reports.

Interstate 49 would eventually stretch from New Orleans to Canada. Portions of the highway have been constructed elsewhere and are being constructed in Arkansas.

The Interstate 49 International Coalition says the highway is about 80 percent complete, with the Arkansas portion between Texarkana and Fort Smith among the remaining pieces to be built. The state is still trying to come up with the $2.5 billion needed for the project.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.