News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Birmingham

Started by Grzrd, September 23, 2010, 09:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tourian

Quote from: froggie on August 26, 2016, 01:58:18 PM
He's referring to the fact that there will still be numerous left-side exits and entrances at Malfunction Junction, something that FHWA frowns upon these days but ALDOT either doesn't care or doesn't have the funding to remedy...though with how much they're putting into the new ramps, they easily could have addressed some of the left-side ramps instead.

What do you mean by "numerous?"

froggie

16 ramp merge/diverge points at the interchange.  Half of them are left side.  The proposed design even adds another one (SB 65 to 17th St).

Tourian

Quote from: froggie on August 29, 2016, 12:55:07 PM
16 ramp merge/diverge points at the interchange.  Half of them are left side.  The proposed design even adds another one (SB 65 to 17th St).

I thought you were referring to left hand exits down to street level.

codyg1985

ALDOT is looking to advertise the third and final phase of the I-20/59 bridge replacement for November 4th. This will include the controversial piece of replacing the existing elevated structure with a new one.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

codyg1985

After looking at the plans for the I-20/59 bridge replacement, there are plans to install "decorative lighting" around the bridge and a lot of streetscape to improve the area around the new bridges. The lights will be RGB lights that shine onto the bridge. At least the bridge will somewhat be decorative when it is finished.
Cody Goodman

Charles2

Is there a link to the plans?

codyg1985

Cody Goodman

codyg1985

The apparent low bid for the third and final phase of the I-20/59 viaduct project through downtown Birmingham came in at just over $500 million. The apparent low bidder was Granite Construction Company. It is the same contractor that is working on the second phase which involves the I-20/59/65 interchange. The second phase low bid was $208 million.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

After the bids for the final phase of the I-20/59 bridge replacement through downtown came in over budget, ALDOT has went back to the drawing board. They are soliciting RFPs for a Design-Build contract to design and construct the project through downtown.

I believe this is the first design-build project that ALDOT has developed.
Cody Goodman

Charles2

Time to bump this thread up:

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2017/05/aldot_closing_major_entryway_t.html#incart_river_home

In other words, the fun is getting ready to begin in downtown Birmingham.  So far, the construction has caused only a couple of minor inconveniences.  Now, all hell is getting ready to break out.  The good news is, 2020 is only 2-1/2 years away.

Charles2

cjk374

Looks like I'll be using AL 69 a lot more to get from here to Huntsville. That sounds like it is going to be hell living in B'ham for awhile!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

codyg1985

It was only a matter of time before the bridge closure was going to take place. The original plans showed the official detour for traffic from I-65 north reaching I-20 east and US 31/280 South was Finley Blvd to US 31. Since this is more of a design-build contract, I am not sure what detour routes will be in place. At least the rest of the interstate movements can be accomplished with I-459, and access to downtown won't be interrupted coming from I-65 or I-20 from the west after the I-20/59/65 interchange revamp is finished. Hopefully the bridge replacement can coincide with the opening of most of those ramps to and from downtown.

The tricky thing is going to be access to downtown from I-20 east of town. The bridge replacement contract also includes the reconfiguration of ramps necessary to provide access to downtown from the east.
Cody Goodman

sglaughlin

Voyager75

Snagged this pic last second of these vintage I-20/59/65 state named shields on 18th St. N today. I always forgot about them and glad I remembered to go this way today as I doubt they survive the bridge replacement project as this on ramp will be eliminated. It's possible that ALDOT will modify it with 3 new *BLUE* TO signs and straight ahead arrows to direct people to 11th Ave N for the new way out of downtown.

sparker

Quote from: Voyager75 on June 24, 2017, 11:47:13 PM

Snagged this pic last second of these vintage I-20/59/65 state named shields on 18th St. N today. I always forgot about them and glad I remembered to go this way today as I doubt they survive the bridge replacement project as this on ramp will be eliminated. It's possible that ALDOT will modify it with 3 new *BLUE* TO signs and straight ahead arrows to direct people to 11th Ave N for the new way out of downtown.

Question:  does ALDOT ever sell/donate their old shields?  It would be a shame to see three relatively pristine (no visible fading or peeling) '57-spec state-named shields sitting in a corporate yard somewhere; they should go to a good home (I know that several posters would be delighted to procure at least one of these!). 

cjk374

Quote from: sparker on June 25, 2017, 01:07:46 AM

Question:  does ALDOT ever sell/donate their old shields?  It would be a shame to see three relatively pristine (no visible fading or peeling) '57-spec state-named shields sitting in a corporate yard somewhere; they should go to a good home (I know that several posters would be delighted to procure at least one of these!). 

This needs to be sent to the "Best of Road Signs" thread.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Voyager75

Quote from: cjk374 on June 25, 2017, 11:49:53 AM
Quote from: sparker on June 25, 2017, 01:07:46 AM

This needs to be sent to the "Best of Road Signs" thread.

Already there. Posted it there last night right that after I posted this one.

codyg1985

I am surprised those are still there. Good that you got them when you did.
Cody Goodman

Charles2

Those shields go back to 1973, when permanent signs were first erected on the sections of Birmingham's interstates that were open at the time.  Of course, at the time there was very little of 65 or 20/59 that were open.

ATLRedSoxFan

Wonder why it took Birmingham so long to build the expressways in town? Indy was the same(but they at least built 465, before they built in town).

codyg1985

Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on June 27, 2017, 01:48:27 AM
Wonder why it took Birmingham so long to build the expressways in town? Indy was the same(but they at least built 465, before they built in town).

Politics. Governor George Wallace wanted to punish city voters for not voting for him, so the interstates through larger cities were not built first.
Cody Goodman

Voyager75

Yeah all the interstates ending in the suburbs when I was a child was what got me interested in highways and construction. 20/59 in Fairfield, 20 east in Irondale, 65 North in Fultondale and 65 South in Hoover(I think that was the first to open all the way). I literally lived next to 20/59 in Fairfield at the point the freeway just ended past Exit 118 and dumped you out into Valley Ave.

sparker

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 27, 2017, 07:13:02 AM
Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on June 27, 2017, 01:48:27 AM

Politics. Governor George Wallace wanted to punish city voters for not voting for him, so the interstates through larger cities were not built first.

That's like cutting off your nose to spite your face!  Of course, urban Interstate segments were substantially more costly than rural ones due to (a) property acquisition and (b) structure costs.  Delaying construction for the sake of political payback was (and is) unconscionable from a taxpayer standpoint as well as just fucking stupid and shortsighted!  But some politicos are a breed apart when it comes to this type of bullshit!

At least out here in CA the Division of Highways had the good sense to prioritize as many urban Interstate segments as feasible; in that way they lessened inflationary effects -- as well as getting many of the in-city projects completed or at least underway prior to the onset of urban backlash. 

Charles2

Welcome to old-style Southern politics.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.