Construction begins on South Greenville, MS freeway

Started by berberry, September 29, 2010, 06:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berberry

The new US 82 bypass will run from Greenville's new MS river bridge to present-day 82 near Leland.  Grading and draining is now underway between the bridge and MS Hwy 1, and this segment apparently will include a couple cloverleaf interchanges.

Here's the relevant section of the poorly-written MDOT press release:

Highway 82 bypass in Washington County - This is the first stage of a four stage project to construct a by-pass from the Mississippi River to Leland in Washington County.  This project swings south of Greenville and is the grade, drain and bridge portion of the first project which stretches from the Mississippi River to Highway 1.  This particular project consists of bridges at Highway 454, Wilcox Road, Redman Road, Main Extended, and Highway 1.  It will contain two clover leaf interchanges at Highway 454 and Highway 1.  When completed, the Highway 82 by-pass will be a four-lane facility which will take most of the truck traffic out of Greenville by providing a corridor for those trucks to travel from Highway 61 to the newly constructed Mississippi River Bridge.  This will help with traffic congestion on the undivided section of Highway 82 in the urban areas of Greenville.  This project was awarded to Tanner Construction Company, Inc. at a cost of $32,418,017 and the project is approximately 70% complete.

froggie

I find that interesting considering that both the 1996 FONSI and the 2004 and 2008 re-evaluations showed standard diamond interchanges.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

US 82 Bypass at MS 454 July 2010

Didn't have a chance to check out MS 1
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

berberry

Maybe I just don't know what to look for, but I can't tell what type of interchange is being built from that picture. 

I remember thinking when I first read the press release I quoted above how odd it was to build a cloverleaf on this bypass anywhere other than, maybe, at MS 1.  But this state has a history of building them at what I would consider odd places, so I wasn't incredulous.  Two other examples right on US 82 would be the ones at Leland and Greenwood.  There are other places along that highway where I think a cloverleaf might have made more sense than at those two spots.

froggie

Why wouldn't a cloverleaf make sense at Leland?  A major east-west road (US 82) and a major north-south road (US 61), with 3 of the 4 legs being 4 lanes.

US71

Quote from: berberry on April 10, 2011, 01:15:42 AM
Maybe I just don't know what to look for, but I can't tell what type of interchange is being built from that picture. 

The photo was taken in 2010, so I don't think ramp construction had started yet. I may try to pop down there this Summer for some updated photos.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

berberry

Quote from: froggie on April 10, 2011, 08:16:31 AM
Why wouldn't a cloverleaf make sense at Leland?  A major east-west road (US 82) and a major north-south road (US 61), with 3 of the 4 legs being 4 lanes.

The interaction with 61 toward Vicksburg has always appeared to be minimal at that spot.  Seems like that interchange might just as well have been a parclo, with the left-turns on 61.  I've never been through there at a time when the traffic going to/from the south was heavy, and I lived in Greenville for a couple years.

For the same reason, though, a cloverleaf might make more sense on the new freeway at MS 1, even though the map posted above would suggest there won't be one.  People travelling to or from Vicksburg are more likely to use that route, and development south of that interchange is bound to increase once the new road is in place.

Grzrd

May 6 update from MDOT on two sections of the project:

http://www.gomdot.com/Home/MediaRoom/newsreleases/PressReleaseDetail.aspx?ID=56201121801

"Highway 82 Bypass from Highway 454 to Highway 1
The project is for the grade drain and bridge construction of a new four-lane section. The contract amount is $32,418,017 and the contractor is Tanner Construction Company. The project is 80 percent complete.

U.S. 82 Greenville Bypass from SR 1 to Leland
The project includes a four-lane roadway, grade drain and bridge construction on the U.S. 82 Greenville Bypass. The construction estimate is $51,900,000. The design is complete and utility relocation is ongoing at this time, mainly in the Leland area. "

Buummu

Anthony_JK

Nope...it's more associated with the new US 82 bridge across the Mississippi River.

The proposed I-169 spur extending to Greenville, though, is supposed to connect with the bypass when it is completed.

Anthony

Grzrd

Quote from: Buummu on May 10, 2011, 06:37:59 PM
Is it a I-69 project or?
Quote from: Anthony_JK on May 10, 2011, 08:00:32 PM
Nope...it's more associated with the new US 82 bridge across the Mississippi River.
The proposed I-169 spur extending to Greenville, though, is supposed to connect with the bypass when it is completed.
Anthony
Here is a description (from MDOT website) of the Greenville Connector (proposed I-169 spur) with a map that shows how the Greenville Connector would connect the US 82 and I-69 corridors:

http://www.gomdot.com/Home/Projects/Studies/Central/GreenvilleConnector/pdf/MapOfAlternatives.pdf

and froggie's webpage from a few years ago (I don't think much has happened in the interim) ...:

http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/i169.htm

Also, here's a map of I-69 SIU 11 through Mississippi:

http://www.gomdot.com/Home/Projects/I69/pdf/I69-SIU11-Map.pdf

Buummu

US71

This is taken from the Greenville Bypass. 82/278 currently swing around to connect to their older alignment that crossed the old bridge.

froggie

Quoteand froggie's webpage from a few years ago (I don't think much has happened in the interim)

They've started a new location study to look at some different alignments, but that's about it...

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: US71 on May 10, 2011, 11:30:49 PM

This is taken from the Greenville Bypass. 82/278 currently swing around to connect to their older alignment that crossed the old bridge.

Are the gates in that photo from when the bridge was under construction (just completed) or more recent?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

US71

Quote from: Adam Smith on May 12, 2011, 12:57:04 AM
Quote from: US71 on May 10, 2011, 11:30:49 PM

Are the gates in that photo from when the bridge was under construction (just completed) or more recent?

During construction. It was about 98 percent finished (July 2010), but MDOT was doing some minor finishing work on 82.

msunat97

Does anyone have any updates on this project?  When I was in the area around New Year's, the road bed was complete, but nothing else had been laid.  It's disappointing that the eastern half south of Leland may not be done.

froggie

The way MDOT typically works for new highway or widening projects, they'll first do a project to grade the road, build drainage, and build bridges.  Then they'll come in later with a contract to pave the road.

Unfortunately, all I could find in the draft 2012-15 STIP is the existing contract to grade and bridge between the river and MS 1.  Nothing east of MS 1, and nothing on paving what's currently under construction.

msunat97

Thanks Froggie.  The new MDOT website has zero info in the project update section.  I could get better updates from the old website.  It'd be nice to drive on 4 lane roads all the way from Little Rock to Starkville, MS one day.  I can only dream I guess.

golden eagle

Quote from: msunat97 on June 18, 2012, 10:50:16 AM
It'd be nice to drive on 4 lane roads all the way from Little Rock to Starkville, MS one day.  I can only dream I guess.

You actually can now. Just a little out the way, though. I-40 to Memphis, then 78 east to Tupelo and then south on US 45.

msunat97

Thanks Golden Eagle.  I try to avoid the Little Rock - Memphis corridor on I-40.  It's always busy & slowed by construction.  It's a much easier drive through South Arkansas.

froggie

QuoteThe new MDOT website has zero info in the project update section.  I could get better updates from the old website.

I fully agree.

msunat97

Does anyone have an update on how this is progressing?  I'll be heading through there in about a month & just wanted to know how things are or aren't moving along.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.