News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highways / Signs in Movies, TV Shows, and Videos

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 05:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 02, 2017, 08:29:31 PM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on September 18, 2017, 08:01:57 PM
A Volkswagen commercial obviously taped in Wayne, NJ (around 0:05)
I was wondering which part of New Jersey that was from.

Saw the US 202 shield, but I couldn't tell if the NJ state route shield was a 10 or 23.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

bing101

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1lWJXDG2i0A

Tom Petty he had lots of Los Angeles references in this song specifically in Reseda.

Max Rockatansky

I was watching some movie called "Focus" last night.  There was an early scene in New Orleans where a very clear shot of a BGS displaying I-10 and US 90 could be seen out of skyscraper window. 

jp the roadgeek

Here's some old school signage on I-84 West in East Hartford at the very beginning of this video.  The I-91 South reference no longer exists as the ramp from the Founders Bridge was closed in the early 90's (love the little "Groton" sign too)

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Max Rockatansky

AZ 82 appears in Night of the Lepus....who the hell even remembers that movie?  :-D

Max Rockatansky

I was just watching a movie called The Island.  There was a scene that was shot in the ghost town of Rhyolite, Nevada that had a AZ 186 shield and a US 39.  The US 39 was a cutout with a blue crown, I thought it was weird that they used a completely random number and design.  AZ 186 exists which would essentially imply it was supposed to be set near Willcox. 

kurumi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 18, 2017, 12:31:18 AM
I was just watching a movie called The Island.  There was a scene that was shot in the ghost town of Rhyolite, Nevada that had a AZ 186 shield and a US 39.  The US 39 was a cutout with a blue crown, I thought it was weird that they used a completely random number and design.  AZ 186 exists which would essentially imply it was supposed to be set near Willcox. 

A couple screenshots from this movie are earlier in the thread, including an interstate marker font that's worse than Clearview.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kurumi on November 18, 2017, 12:54:31 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 18, 2017, 12:31:18 AM

A couple screenshots from this movie are earlier in the thread, including an interstate marker font that's worse than Clearview.

The Detroit for future Los Angeles is pretty bad too.  I haven't looked up the director but this looks like a Michael Bay movie.  I'm watching now for the visual oddities I'm picking up on.

Incidentally no trace of those movie shields in Rhyolite today.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/151828809@N08/mBA93c

Rothman

Not sure if anyone mentioned the button copy US 101 green sign that is visible when Mel Gibson is chasing down Gary Busey on foot near the end of Lethal Weapon.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

There were US 50 and US 63 shields in the background of Wheel of Fortune a couple days back when I was watching at dinner.  They seemed to be mock-ups in the shape of a California style US Route cut-out.

Eth

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 04, 2018, 10:44:01 PM
There were US 50 and US 63 shields in the background of Wheel of Fortune a couple days back when I was watching at dinner.  They seemed to be mock-ups in the shape of a California style US Route cut-out.

There was also an I-2 shield, complete with state name. Unfortunately, that state name was "CALIFORNIA", not "TEXAS".

BamaZeus

It's stretching it a bit, but I've noticed on Live PD that the Slidell, Louisiana PD has 3 interstate shields on their police shield

Max Rockatansky

There was a Farm to Market 794 shield in a room in Young Sheldon.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Oops - As to not step on anyone's toes, I will post it here, sorry Alex.

A documentary I am watching sparked this thread topic. Also, an interesting thing, the Arkansas State Police (during the 60's) wore the state silhouette as a badge rather than the 6 pointed state we see today.

I-40 E/W Signage

Also, within the same video:
A concurrency with US 65 and an unreadable AR silhouette (it's 41* something -- Or, rather than me make assumptions, I don't know what it is. But, I have been looking for something similar on GMs) What era were the Arkansas cutouts, again?
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

D-Dey65

PurdueBill

Quote from: Eth on February 05, 2018, 09:15:50 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 04, 2018, 10:44:01 PM

There was also an I-2 shield, complete with state name. Unfortunately, that state name was "CALIFORNIA", not "TEXAS".

If memory serves, Wheel has had that CA I-2 shield as a set piece since before Texas had I-2.  Might be mixing it up with the other shields they have out there, but I could swear I remember seeing it back when only Wheel of Fortune had an I-2. 

D-Dey65

Anyone see "The Goldbergs" episode "The Circle of Driving Again?" There's a scene where Adam Goldberg is being taught to drive by his parents and grandfather and the railroad crossing they're approaching includes one of these signs under the standard yellow Railroad Crossing circle:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:MUTCD_R15-8.svg

I'm pretty sure these didn't exist anytime during the 1980's.

wxfree

This morning I saw part of one of the "I Love Lucy" episodes when they were headed to California.  The episode started with a shot of the car on a highway with a sign.  I think it said Ohio 48.

The Wikipedia page for that road includes a notation about its appearance in the episode.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

jbnv

The Forensic Files episode "Road Rage" begins with the narrator saying "Interstate 97 is a rustic highway in the Pacific Northwest." While showing a US 97 shield.  :pan:
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Well, that's just like your opinion man...

US 89

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on February 25, 2018, 01:18:14 PM
Direct reference to I-80 (Utah) and Highway 108

The part where they scooped up the dust at the beginning is on the southbound I-15/I-80 concurrency in Salt Lake City. The part where he passes the Highway 108 sign (Antelope Drive) is on I-15 north in Layton, about 15 miles north of Salt Lake City. Also, he says that 10,000 cars go by that stretch of road in a day, but the AADT there is 125,000 according to UDOT.

D-Dey65

Quote from: wxfree on February 24, 2018, 01:41:38 PM
This morning I saw part of one of the "I Love Lucy" episodes when they were headed to California.  The episode started with a shot of the car on a highway with a sign.  I think it said Ohio 48.

The Wikipedia page for that road includes a notation about its appearance in the episode.
Quote from: jbnv on February 24, 2018, 10:04:53 PM
The Forensic Files episode "Road Rage" begins with the narrator saying "Interstate 97 is a rustic highway in the Pacific Northwest." While showing a US 97 shield.  :pan:
Yeah, I've been on I-97. It's 1)Not rustic, and B)Not in the Pacific Northwest.

A segment on an episode of "Top Cops" once had an interview with a Suffolk County Police Officer who described Montauk Highway in Center Moriches as being a four-lane divided highway.

:-o :confused: :rolleyes:

You'd think an officer from the SCPD would know better.

BakoCondors

Don't know if this has been mentioned before. I'm at work and can't go through all 26 pages without IT getting suspicious  :bigass:

Saw a documentary about Area 51 on NatGeo that had a couple of old photos of the CIA moving a top secret plane from Burbank to Area 51 in the 50s. One image showed US 91 & US 466 shields on a roadside and another showed a BGS with US 466.

roadman65

In that clear choice commercial there is a two level continuous arched bridge over a city and then a truss span over a waterway.  What bridge and what city is that in?

Clear Choice is the dental implant place that gives new teeth in one day (although my dentist says its impossible to do more than a few at a time) which has a woman standing in a park with the bridge behind her.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

thenetwork

Quote from: roadman65 on March 03, 2018, 10:55:28 PM
In that clear choice commercial there is a two level continuous arched bridge over a city and then a truss span over a waterway.  What bridge and what city is that in?

Clear Choice is the dental implant place that gives new teeth in one day (although my dentist says its impossible to do more than a few at a time) which has a woman standing in a park with the bridge behind her.

Cleveland -- East Bank of the Flats:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4967885,-81.7004063,3a,75y,157.07h,84.72t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1ssEkEdcpwneMPKlfWok9Nqg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DsEkEdcpwneMPKlfWok9Nqg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D60.54779%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

They pretty much shot the whole commercial within Settler's Landing Park by the Cuyahoga River.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.