News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmeiser

Here's what IU football is officially suggesting. Definitely no direct routes. http://iuhoosiers.com/sports/2017/9/21/alternate-routes3.aspx

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: bmeiser on September 23, 2017, 01:09:46 PM
Here's what IU football is officially suggesting. Definitely no direct routes. http://iuhoosiers.com/sports/2017/9/21/alternate-routes3.aspx

If I were going from Indy, I'd take 135 and 45.  At least it's scenic.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 23, 2017, 01:42:41 PM

i think 135 is closed in 2 places south of morgantown, i think it's for 2 culvert replacements

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 24, 2017, 01:49:37 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on September 23, 2017, 01:42:41 PM

i think 135 is closed in 2 places south of morgantown, i think it's for 2 culvert replacements

Bad timing to do that during 69 construction.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

tdindy88

Bad timing also due to Brown County's popularity in the fall.

Interstate 69 Fan

Drove 37 from 39 to SR 46. Turns out I-69 is signed heading southbound at the interchange.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

ITB

Here's another batch. Pictures were taken Sunday, September 24, 2017, unless otherwise noted.

Looking north from near the future overpass that will carry Sample Road over State Road 37 (future Interstate 69) in Monroe County, Indiana. In this vicinity, about 2 miles of new interstate roadway are under construction (pictured) for the southbound lanes of I-69. As the project moves forward, the current northbound lanes of State Rod 37 will be converted to a two-lane, bi-directional local access road, with the current southbound lanes of SR 37 becoming the northbound lanes of I-69.

Looking southeast from near the Sample Road overpass. On the left is the roadway for the new southbound lanes of I-69. It is in this area that the new stretch of roadway will be blended into the old southbound lanes of SR 37. The fresh pavement on the right is the new local access road which veers off from the western traffic roundabout of the I-69/Sample Road interchange.

The overpass that will carry Sample Road over State Road 37 (future Interstate 69); looking northeast. Currently, only half of the overpass is under construction at this time. The other half will commence when the northbound lanes of SR 37 are closed and traffic switched to the present southbound lanes of SR 37.

A slightly different view of the Sample Road overpass; looking northeast. The road in the background is Sample Road east of SR 37.

Another perspective of the local access road that juts off from the western roundabout at the I-69/Sample Road interchange; looking southeast.

The western roundabout of the future I-69/Sample Road interchange; looking north. On the left is the exit ramp from I-69 southbound, while, adjacent, is the entrance ramp which swings around to go under the overpass before merging with the southbound lanes.

Another view looking southeast from near the Sample Road overpass. In the foreground are braces to form the falsework for the overpass as construction moves forward.

Lined up and ready to rumble come Monday morning; looking east from near the Sample Road overpass.

ITB

A few more. Photos were taken Sunday, September 24, 2017, unless otherwise noted. To expand the pictures, just "Right Click" and select "View Image." Use the arrow keys to navigate.

The scene looking north from near the intersection of State Road 37 and Simpson Chapel Road in Monroe County, Indiana. Simpson Chapel Road is about 1 mile north of Sample Road on SR 37. The new roadway for the southbound lanes of I-69 is on the right, while the new local bi-directional access road is just to the left.

Closer look of the view north from Simpson Chapel Road.

Looking south toward SR 37 and the new southbound lanes of I-69 from near Simpson Chapel Road. The future overpass that will carry Sample Road over I-69 is in the background.

Another perspective looking south toward the future Sample Road overpass.

Ground level view of the new roadway for southbound I-69 from Simpson Chapel Road; looking north.

A mid-distance view looking north from near Simpson Chapel Road.

Moose

If you really want to take the back way to Bloomington. There is a way that cuts off most of the worst curves and bypasses the construction.

Take 135 south to Samaria IN. Just past there you will find 500W (Locally known as Spearsville Road). This will become beanblossom road.
Take this south to Gatesvillle Road. Head west and it will become IN route 45.

Now if you want to bypass a boatload of annoying curves on IN 45, Turn off on South Shore Drive and take it to Tunnel road and reconnect with IN 45.

I can guarantee you will have ZERO traffic with 135 closed using this route.

You might see some neat trains using South Shore drive, plus a pretty AWESOME railroad trestle.

ITB

Last Thursday, September 21, 2017, the Herald-Times of Bloomington and South-Central Indiana published an article updating the current status of Section 5. In the sense of fair use, I'll post some of the article, then summarize other points:

QuoteINDOT: I-69 Section 5 on target to meet completion date

The Indiana Department of Transportation is still targeting Aug. 31, 2018, as the date of substantial completion for the Interstate 69 Section 5 project, but there is a caveat.

"We don't control the weather," said Travis Underhill, deputy commissioner for INDOT.

What INDOT does control is management of the project, and since taking that over from I-69 Development Partners in early August, the state agency feels work is progressing at a much faster pace than it was under the private development company.

Two of the project's three main contractors – Force Construction and Crider & Crider – are working day and night.

With the help of private consultant Walsh Construction, INDOT was able to verify about 50 percent of construction and 90 percent of design work was completed.

To reach substantial completion in about a year, INDOT had to reorganize all the different entities working on the massive interstate project. Section 5 will upgrade 21 miles of Ind. 37 from Rockport Road in Monroe County to the Indian Creek bridge in Morgan County.

"The last two months have been a constant effort to make sure the right contractor is doing the right work in the right order," Underhill said.

For instance, some work on a concrete barrier wall was assigned to the earthwork contractor when it should have been assigned to the bridge contractor, he said. In other cases, work that needed to be done just wasn't assigned to anyone.

In addition to ensuring the project is finished by next August, INDOT is also working to reduce disruptions to drivers and the city of Bloomington. Under the private developer, crews would start working on a piece of the project, such as the Fullerton Pike interchange, and stop to take care of something else. Underhill said INDOT is committed to finishing what it starts before moving on.

The key point is that INDOT is holding firm its August 31, 2018 deadline to reach substantial completion of Section 5. Other points mentioned include:

- work on the mainline bridges crossing Griffy Creek, Beanblossom Creek and Beanblossom Overflow is expected to complete in November
- work on the 3rd Street bridge expansion also is anticipated to complete in November
- at Tapp Road, the new interchange is scheduled to be finished in either May or June 2018
- the interchange at Liberty Church Road in Morgan County will complete sometime in the spring of 2018
- the interchange at Sample Road is expected to be finished in either June or July 2018
- INDOT does not want to extend the substantial completion date again
- during major events, such as football games, work schedules will be adjusted to help ease the expected additional traffic
- to avoid confusion a 45 mph speed limit has now been posted, and is in effect, throughout the entire 21 mile work zone
- INDOT wishes to emphasize the current schedule is not set in stone and may change due to weather and other factors

Link to article (behind a paywall): https://www.heraldtimesonline.com/news/local/indot-i--section-on-target-to-meet-completion-date/article_3ca18a67-0e4d-53da-9881-4370ec23ce8e.html

silverback1065

geeze, this project was all kinds of fucked up until indot took over.  i can't believe the design work wasnt even finished!

Henry

2018 is so ambitious, I wouldn't be surprised if they missed it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Rick Powell

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 25, 2017, 03:55:35 PM
geeze, this project was all kinds of fucked up until indot took over.  i can't believe the design work wasnt even finished!

Not uncommon under a design-build contract to start construction and be designing ahead of the work in stages. Heck, it's not uncommon to be doing a little design (or rather, re-design work) during construction on a traditional design-bid-build contract. I have a project right now where we had to re-design the bracing for a major river bridge because the steel fabricator drilled some holes in the wrong place.

ITB

I had reason to be on the west side of Bloomington, so I took the camera to snap a few. I'm trying to get out and about more frequently because this project is progressing rapidly. Before we know it, it's going to be done. Photos were taken Wednesday, September 27, 2017, unless otherwise noted.

Looking southeast toward State Road 37 (future Interstate 69) from near the Tapp Road/SR 37 intersection in Bloomington, Indiana. The dirt pathway outlines the I-69 southbound exit ramp to Tapp Road. Work continues with loose lift, the process to build up the ground. Take note of the raised ground east of SR 37 (left), which is nearing completion, for the northbound exit and entrance ramps to Tapp.

Crews are beginning to excavate soil west of SR 37 in preparation for the placement of new material, mainly rock, as the process to build up the ground for the Tapp Road interchange moves forward; looking south.

GPS positioning apparatus near the Tapp Road/SR 37 construction zone; looking southeast.

Another perspective of the work underway at the Tapp Road and SR 37; looking southeast.

Looking south toward State Road 37 (future Interstate 69) from the 2nd Street/State Road 45 overpass in Bloomington, Indiana. The Tapp Road construction zone is just over the slight rise of SR 37 in the background; note how the median barrier wall ends and then takes up again. This is now the only gap in the median wall between the I-69/SR 37 interchange and the overpass that carries Arlington Road over SR 37, a little north of the SR 37/SR 46 interchange.

Another vantage point looking south from the 2nd Street/State Road 45 overpass.

The rehabbed bridge that carries 2nd Street/SR 45 over SR 37, with new sidewalks and decorative railings; looking east.

Looking south from the overpass that carries 3rd Street over State Road 37 (future Interstate 69) in Bloomington, Indiana. The blue bridge carries an Indiana Rail Road line. Beyond that is the overpass that carries 2nd Street/State Road 45.

Another view looking south from the 3rd Street overpass.

And one more from near the 3rds Street overpass; looking south. Note the new sound wall on the left.

thefro

Quote from: Henry on September 26, 2017, 10:51:18 AM
2018 is so ambitious, I wouldn't be surprised if they missed it.

Hard to believe the original firm said it'd be "substantially complete" in 2016.

ITB

A few more pictures. Photos were taken Sunday, October 1, 2017, unless otherwise noted.

To expand the photos, just Right Click and select "View Image." Use the arrow keys to navigate.

Looking north toward State Road 37 (future Interstate 69) from the Kinser Pike overpass in Monroe County, Indiana. Note the new already-striped local access road in the left background.

A mid-range perspective from the Kinser Pike overpass; looking north. Evident are the three mainline bridges that cross, respectfully, Griffy Creek (nearest), Beanblossom Creek, and Beanblossom Overflow. Bridge expansion and rehab work on the trio is on the verge of wrapping up.

Slightly different view looking north from Kinser Pike.

Closer look at the bridges that cross Griffy Creek and Beanblossom Creek as well as the overpass that carries southbound SR 37 traffic to N. Walnut Street/Business 37.

The bridge that will carry the outside shoulder and a southbound lane of Interstate 69 over Griffy Creek; looking north.

Another view looking north from near the Griffy Creek mainline bridges.

And one more perspective of the newly rebuilt southbound span that crosses over Griffy Creek.

Edit: Replaced a photo that was wasn't expanding with one that is. Some additional descriptive info.

silverback1065

SR 135 wont be open until november.  I looks like they could have more of this open soon!  (Referring to the pictures posted above.)

thefro

I missed this earlier, but it was reported in September that the estimate on I-69 Section 6 from INDOT was that it would start construction in 2020 and take 7 years to complete

http://fox59.com/2017/09/13/fewer-residents-to-be-impacted-after-changes-made-to-i-69-construction-between-martinsville-indy/

And here's the slides from the September Presentation
http://www.in.gov/indot/projects/i69/files/2017%20FEIS%20Project%20Update%20Meeting%209.12.17.pdf

Corridor completion expected in 2027

westerninterloper

I grew up in Indiana hearing about this project, and I remember when the whole stretch was supposed to cost $1.5 billion. That also used to seem like a lot of money to me, but not anymore.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

silverback1065

They should put an interchange at whiteland road it gets an exit with 65, and connects several highways

tdindy88

I-69 to County Road 144 to Whiteland Road seems to be a good enough alternative. It's a higher quality road from Whiteland Road and the time difference won't be much. There's no way they are building an exit a mile or so south of SR/CR 144 anyway.

As for the expected construction period for Section 6, which I think is supposed to start in 2020, seven years seems a lot more realistic in terms of time of construction. I always thought that the two years they estimated to do all of Section 5, 2015 to 2016 was way too unrealistic. Though there were a lot of problems with the execution, doing the project in a four year time frame just seems more plausible considering they are rebuilding a heavily used corridor.

ITB

Here's a few pictures of the Sample Road work zone. Photos were taken October 21, unless otherwise noted.

To expand the photos, Right Click and select View Image. Use the arrow keys to navigate.

The future Interstate 69/Sample Road interchange in Monroe County, Indiana; looking north. In the vicinity where the new southbound lanes of I-69 will connect to State Road 37 (left), crews are now applying and grading base material, one of the final steps before paving.

Heavy traffic on State Road 37 navigates the work zone at Sample Road; looking north. The posted speed limit is 45 mph throughout Section 5, but many drivers appear to be paying little heed.

Closer look at the partially built overpass that will carry Sample Road over future I-69. In the not too distant future, southbound SR 37 traffic will be shifted to the newly built roadway. Northbound SR 37 traffic will then be moved to the current southbound lanes, and northbound SR 37 just prior to Sample Road will be closed. When that transpires, construction on the other half of the overpass will commence. It's also possible that single lane, side-by-side traffic will be run on the current southbound lanes of SR 37 at Sample Road for a period. No matter which step is taken, the current northbound lanes of SR 37 must be sealed off at Sample Road before construction of the full overpass can move forward.

The eastern roundabout of the Interstate 69/Sample Road interchange in Monroe County, Indiana; looking slightly northwest. The road jutting off in the background goes up to and intersects with the current northbound lanes of SR 37.

Another vantage point of the overpass that will carry Sample Road over future I-69; looking northwest. The raised dark earth is the center is the future I-69 exit ramp to Sample Road.

Long-range view of the work zone at Sample Road; looking north.

Slightly different perspective.

Another perspective of the eastern roundabout at Sample Road; looking north. Sample Road veers off to the right; the local access road that will eventually intersect with Chambers Pike–about two miles to the north–is straight ahead.

Sharing the road in the truest sense.

hoosierguy

Google Maps was finally updated to include the interchange with Fullerton Pike.

ITB

To update the status of Section 5, INDOT released an ahead-of-winter construction notice October 25th. Announced were lane shifts on SR 37 at Tapp Road and between 3rd Street and the SR 45/46 interchange. The SR 37/Chambers Pike crossing north of Sample Road has been closed in preparation of the construction of the Chambers Pike overpass. Sparks Road, just to the north, and which will be used by Chambers Pike traffic, was scheduled to striped and open for traffic by November 1. The overpass at Chambers Pike is the next to last bridge structure in Section 5 to commence construction. The other is at Tapp Road where a lot of work has taken place for the interchange, but construction of the overpass itself is not yet underway.

Source: http://www.in.gov/indot/projects/i69/files/Work ramping up on I-69 section 5 FINAL 10-25-17.pdf

INDOT also released a traffic update on October 30th. The notice addressed a southbound lane shift in the vicinity of Sample Road. According to the release, at about 10pm on October 31, southbound SR 37 traffic in the vicinity of Sample Road was to be to shifted to the newly built southbound mainline. At this time, only a single southbound lane will be utilized on the new roadway. The lane shift was to be implemented just south of Chambers Pike and continued past Sample Road, where the new roadway would merge again with the old southbound lanes of SR 37. The lane shift is necessary to work on the shoulders of the current southbound lanes of SR 37, both inside and out, between Sample Road and Chambers Pike. And, as many of you already know, but for those who don't, in the area of Sample Road and to the north for about a mile, the old southbound lanes of SR 37 will eventually become the new northbound lanes of Interstate 69, with the current northbound lanes of SR 37 transitioned to a local access road.

Source: http://www.in.gov/indot/projects/i69/files/Lane shift on Mainline SR 37 - 10-30-17.pdf

All in all, good news, as winter approaches. It appears construction of the median bent at both Tapp Road and Chambers Pike will be ongoing in coming months. So much has changed in road construction in recent years. It used to be with the onset of winter virtually all construction ceased. Not anymore. Concrete work can now be performed almost year round using curing accelerants, insulating blankets, and heaters. Warm-mix asphalt instead of hot-mix is often used as the cooler weather sets in, extending the paving season as well.

I took a few photos the last week of October and have been remiss in not posting them. The pictures were taken October 26th.

Looking north toward SR 37 from the Arlington Road overpass in Monroe County, Indiana. From this point north to Sample Road, a median cable barrier will be installed in lieu of the concrete barrier that was built throughout the city of Bloomington to the south. I've heard that motorcyclists dread cable barriers because of the potential for severed limbs if an incident occurs. As I-69 in this area will be three lanes in each direction, the roadway should be relatively safe with the cable barrier, even for motorcyclists who will have the option of solely using the right lane, keeping as far away from the barrier as possible. Let's hope the road becomes known as being more safe than not. Around the curve in the background is the Kinser Pike overpass. Some of the photos I posted earlier show the roadway looking north from that point toward the Mobil/Circle K mart near Sample Road. The distance between Arlington Road and Sample Road is just a tad short of 5 1/2 miles, so it's a pretty good chunk of Section 5, about 25%.

Another perspective looking north from the Arlington Road overpass. Note the new shiny guardrails.

Looking south from the Arlington Road overpass toward SR 37 and the SR 37/SR 46 interchange. Could have been a better pic, but the light coming from the south was giving me trouble. I knew some of you would want to see that I-69 shield on the BGS, so I snapped away.

Edit: grammar; minor text edits and additions

ITB

Here's few recent pictures of the State Road 37/Tapp Road construction zone. Darkness was quickly falling, so some have decent light and some do not. Photos were taken November 17, 2017. To expand the pictures, Right Click and select View Image. Use the arrow keys to navigate.

Looking southeast toward the former SR 37/Tapp Road intersection in Monroe County, Indiana. The traffic signals have been taken down, and construction has commenced on the overpass that will carry Tapp Road over future I-69. The blue rig is drilling shafts into bedrock for the piers of the overpass.

Closer look at the work underway at Tapp. It appears subbase material has been applied to the interchange's eastern traffic roundabout as well as the northbound exit and entrance ramps.

Another perspective of the SR 37/Tapp work zone; looking south. The dirt path outlines the future I-69 southbound exit ramp to Tapp Road.

Looking north from near the Tapp toward the SR 37/SR 45 (Bloomfield Road) interchange. Note the new sound wall.

Slightly different view looking south.

[/url]
Getting dark; again looking north toward the SR 37/SR 45 interchange.

The power line structures adjacent to the roadway; looking south.

One last one as evening settles in; looking south.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.