News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Favorite Interstate

Started by Voyager, January 17, 2009, 11:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLRoads

Quote from: roadfro on January 19, 2009, 02:09:55 AM
I-15, the nearest Interstate to me growing up.  Also very cool in AZ through the Virgin River Gorge.

I also have to agree with whoever said I-84 (west) near the Columbia River.

Yes, that stretch of I-84 is an awesome stretch of interstate.  I drove it on a spring day in 1999 and it was very breathtaking.  So much better than anything east of the Mississippi.

rawr apples

I've only been on 84 west from its start in Portland out to the dalles, and I love it, its so beautiful. I can only imagine what the rest looks like.
Now shut up and drivee

agentsteel53

Quote from: aaroads on January 19, 2009, 02:06:23 AM

I-70 through the San Rafael Reef area is one of the most beautiful stretches of road I've ever seen in my life. It was then that I felt the west welcoming me for the first time!

for me, that moment was I-20 as I headed well out of the DFW metroplex on my first solo road trip in August, 2003.  Then I turned off onto US-285 in Pecos, TX and the rest is history!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ComputerGuy

My second would be I-705...1 mile of fun in Tacoma

vdeane

My favorite is I-390 south of I-90.  It has some nice scenery, especially south of Mount Morris, and not a lot of traffic.  I also like I-490 around Rochester but not as much due to the heavy traffic (the portion between Fairport and Bushnell's Basin is in dire need of a third lane each direction).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alex

Quote from: deanej on January 19, 2009, 01:18:30 PM
My favorite is I-390 south of I-90.  It has some nice scenery, especially south of Mount Morris, and not a lot of traffic.  I also like I-490 around Rochester but not as much due to the heavy traffic (the portion between Fairport and Bushnell's Basin is in dire need of a third lane each direction).

I have a lot of family in Dansville and always appreciated that stretch of Interstate 390 through Livingston County. Someday I'll post the photos I took in 2005 of it...

Darkchylde

I-310 (LA) makes for a nice, albeit brief drive. I also like I-49's current section.

ctsignguy

I-84 in Pennsylvania through NY into Danbury CT....not as bad as you might think once it leaves Scranton and hits Danbury...a lot of pretty scenery, esp the Poconos

I-91 in Vermont, with I-89 a close second...

I-80 in eastern Pennsylvania

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

jd2death

agentsteel53

could be worse ... I-95 in Canton, MA drops to a single lane and there isn't even any other road it intersects with!

one of my first road-related memories is in 1986 going under the previous version of that sign and wondering why we randomly went around in a circle.  The sign used to say "NH-Maine" back in the day; nowadays only I-495 has "NH-Maine" as a control city, I think. 

jake@aaroads.com

yacoded

My favorite interstate so far is I-95 through Maryland especially between Baltimore and Washington, once you get past the freakishly bad traffic it is a interesting interstate.  The best time is to drive it is at night when the traffic is at its lightest (construction's heaviest) because of the way all of the headlights hit the reflectors, I can't wait to see the finish result of it after the MTA and the MdTA is doen with it.
Why can't we just connect everything and everbody

jd2death

Quote from: ComputerGuy on January 21, 2009, 10:20:28 PM
Wow...lots of lanes for an aux. route and only two for a cross-country superhighway. :ded:

lol it funny they just rebuilt that and finished like 2 years ago, this it how it use to look

but after you pay that toll on I-80 it widen back up

Greybear

My favorite would have to be I-30 between Dallas and Little Rock. Northeast Texas and Southwest Arkansas are some of the most beautiful parts of the country IMHO.

The 40 mile stretch between Mt. Pleasant and New Boston in Texas seems like the longest part of I-30, mainly because there are very few interchanges on that stretch of interstate.

In Arkansas, once you get past the Fulton Interchange (Exit 18), the forests of southwestern Arkansas begin to frame the interstate. The forests do not let up until you get to the outskirts of Little Rock.

agentsteel53

that is a really nice road!  I-30 is the first interstate I ever clinched.  I went from no miles done to all miles done in a few hours in August 2003.  I did it from Little Rock to DFW; I remember that section from New Boston onwards to be very nice and rural.

jake@aaroads.com

Urban Prairie Schooner

I-10 thru New Orleans. Yeah, I know it largely sucks as a roadway, but it holds many, many memories for me and provides great views of the downtown skyline and the rest of the city.

Darkchylde

I'm also considering I-55 between the south terminus in LaPlace and the Louisiana/Mississippi state line... if only due to the bone-jarring concrete. Bounce, bounce, bounce... nice for keeping one awake at night!

Bryant5493

I like I-75/85 through Downtown Atlanta. Driving along these combined interstates is always an adventure.

Another of my favs is I-285, also known as "The Amateur Racetrack." (A name I made up, lol).

I also like I-459, the Downtown Birmingham bypass.
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

SimMoonXP

My Favorite Interstate freeway is Interstate 15... The Picture is about the I-15 Express Lane public celebration on September 13th, 2008. Using 3.0 Megapixel Kodak Digital Camera. Viewing I-15 northbound near Exit 19 Ted Williams Pkwy Bridge.

deathtopumpkins

Whoa! Huge picture! What happened to that 800 pixel limit on width? :-P It's very simple to do.
[img width=800]URL[/img]
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

SimMoonXP

The only reason to enlarge the image due to see the Interstate 15 logo sign on top-right side of image as you can see it more well enough.

deathtopumpkins

Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Voyager

I think Interstate 15 in San Diego County is one of my favorites as well. It's really nicely built through there.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

njroadhorse

For me, its Interstate 81 in Virginia, and also in Pennsylvania.  Its so nice there on a sunny day with the mountains right there
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

agentsteel53

Quote from: voyager on January 24, 2009, 08:31:53 PM
I think Interstate 15 in San Diego County is one of my favorites as well. It's really nicely built through there.
you haven't had to drive it in heavy traffic ;)

they are making a lot of improvements though, especially in the 56 to 78 segment. 

jake@aaroads.com

travelinmiles

I would say 280 from San Jose to San Francisco and I-10 between going over the swamps leading into NOLA  from both directions.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.