News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billtm

Quote from: PurdueBill on April 29, 2017, 04:14:31 PM
Quote from: billtm on April 29, 2017, 01:28:42 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on April 28, 2017, 08:59:28 AM
Quote from: I-39 on April 27, 2017, 11:12:48 PM
Excellent! And they are indexing it to inflation too! Good for Indiana. Hopefully, this will provide funding for finishing the US 31 freeway conversion between South Bend and Indianapolis.

Hopefully that project falls in line behind finishing I-69 and six-laning I-65 and I-70.

And re-take control of state highways that fall within city limits! :thumbsup: (Or at least responsibility for signing them)

In West Lafayette, it seems that the city doesn't want that anyway.  The reason given for the State Street project going on now is that with the completion of 231, State Street is no longer a state road so we finally can do whatever we want with it!  Not that there is a very good through route alternate other than going completely around on some roads that can't handle it.  If you were taking SR 26 from one side of Lafayette/West Lafayette as thru traffic and (as it is now) State Street is just completely closed, what is the best route? Take 231 south and follow 52 over Teal Road (which is slow and 2-lane) and then onto unnumbered Sagamore Parkway up to former 26?  Or go the other way around, north on 231 and then south on former 231/52 and again down unnumbered Sagamore Parkway?  When the project is done, the path of former 26 will be open but still unnumbered.  How does INDOT expect people to navigate?  (Don't say GPS. Can't always trust GPS.)  Why have route numbers if they randomly end and restart?

Indeed, blazing the numbers over non-state-maintained roads would help a lot.  But also I don't know that some cities even want that...West Lafayette seems to be happy to let 26 hit a black hole.  Heck, they found $$$ to take down perfectly functional INDOT signals that weren't pretty enough and replace them with fancier posts all over town, and even take the signs off the gantry on North River Road (former 231) but still paint the gantry black for style even if it sits empty.  Wacky stuff.  Why not just paint the signal masts and arms too and save some $$$?  They'd look about the same in the end and you could still be using what INDOT left behind.

Yes I agree the State Street project is going to be a lot better than INDOT could ever do, but what could be better would be a partnership system where cities can take responsibility for any major construction that THEY want, while INDOT takes care of routine maintenance and signage. I feel like that way INDOT could help people find the most efficient routes through areas better. I bet there's something I've overlooked but there must be some way to upgrade a route if the demand is there, while not having to create a gap in order to fund the project.  :hmmm:

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on May 01, 2017, 09:15:49 PMso I-PASS / EZ-PASS users will pay more then cash?? with added fee? or is that going away?

To clear this up...the electronic toll rate will increase to match the cash rate in June. On July 1, the overall toll rate (which will be the same for both cash and electronic payers) will increase again. This increase was already scheduled before this news broke.

So, an equal rate regardless of whatever method you use to pay. Not too sure about the surcharges.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

nwi_navigator_1181

So another stretch of I-65 will be seeing road reconstruction immediately after Memorial Day.

Work will take place from mile 197 to mile 207 (the White-Jasper County area). The mainline will be resurfaced, along with the interchanges on that stretch (US 24/231, exit 201, and US 231, exit 205). Bridges in this section will be overdecked and repaired, and the bridge over US 231 at exit 205 will be widened (inner shoulders with a concrete median, to accommodate future lane expansion work).

During work, the ramp connecting US 24/231 to I-65 Southbound, the ramp connecting I-65 South to US 231 at exit 205, and the ramp connecting US 231 to I-65 Northbound will be closed at all times. The remaining ramps will be utilized as detours.

Work will be aggressive, as this project is planned for completion at the end of July.

So, to summarize, there will be road work in some form for the first 55 miles of I-65 (or last 55, if you're driving northbound) through the summer. Plan accordingly.

NWI_Irish96

If you're going to do that much work on a stretch of road, why not go ahead and make it 6 lanes while you're at it?  I wondered the same thing when they did essentially the same thing between miles 29 and 39 a couple years ago.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 14, 2017, 03:05:12 PM
If you're going to do that much work on a stretch of road, why not go ahead and make it 6 lanes while you're at it?  I wondered the same thing when they did essentially the same thing between miles 29 and 39 a couple years ago.

No argument here. I get proactively refitting the bridges to make space for (and speed up) future lane expansion, but why resurface an area that would be resurfaced again when the actual expansion is done? Makes me wonder if they're putting off this section for a few years.

silverback1065

the i-69 campus parkway interchange will be changed to the full double reverse configuration tonight.  it should be complete by july

nwi_navigator_1181

On or after June 1, the widening of I-65 from Merrillville to Lowell will begin in earnest. Here's the breakdown:

Two lanes of traffic will be maintained in both directions, with intermittent closures during nighttime hours. From south of US 30 to US 231, these two lanes will be shifted toward the median. Work will begin with signage removal, along with erosion measures and patching of existing pavement. Then, a new outside shoulder will be built, with new signage and guardrails. The road will then be re-striped to accommodate three full lanes of traffic.

From US 231 to south of Indiana 2, the outer shoulder will be reconstructed as a driveable lane for the first week. then, traffic will be shifted to the outer lanes while construction of new drainage and pavement takes place within the median (this includes the bridge over US 231, as well as the Kankakee River bridges). All mainline work should reach the endgame by the end of 2018.

Crown Point traffic will be affected as the project moves forward. In mid-July, the 93rd Avenue bridge over I-65 will be closed for resurfacing. Through traffic will be detoured to 101st Avenue. Once work on 93rd Avenue is complete, the 113th Avenue bridge will be closed for resurfacing, with through traffic being detoured via 109th Avenue (though it is strongly recommended to use US 231 if you have a little extra time on your hands; 109th Avenue traffic swells during peak times).

Work zone speed limits will be set at 55 mph. Be safe out there.

I-39

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on May 24, 2017, 08:02:22 PM
On or after June 1, the widening of I-65 from Merrillville to Lowell will begin in earnest.

Just was on there yesterday, and not a lick of construction has begun. The construction zone wasn't even set up.

I-39

After driving the entire length of I-65 in Indiana yesterday, I can say that I now fully agree that I-65 needs to be six lanes throughout the ENTIRE state. Eight lanes are needed in areas such as Lafayette and the section from I-80/94 south to IN-2 (which they are only just now widening those sections to six lanes).

This needs to be done before finishing the US 31 freeway conversion.

silverback1065

with the recent gas tax increase, i'd expect to see more widening projects in the future.

I-39

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 02, 2017, 04:58:59 PM
with the recent gas tax increase, i'd expect to see more widening projects in the future.

True, but will they complete it throughout the entire state?

I don't understand why they aren't going to 4 lanes in each direction between I-80/94 and IN-2.

Great Lakes Roads

silverback1065

Quote from: I-39 on June 02, 2017, 07:37:54 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on June 02, 2017, 04:58:59 PM

True, but will they complete it throughout the entire state?

I don't understand why they aren't going to 4 lanes in each direction between I-80/94 and IN-2.
yes, indot wants to 6 lane 65 and 70 throughout the entire state, they just need the money

silverback1065

I-39

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on June 02, 2017, 07:55:04 PM
What do you think about tolling Indiana's existing interstates?  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Article: http://www.journalgazette.net/news/local/indiana/20170602/indot-seeking-information-that-could-expand-interstate-tolling

it better be with ORT and if they do I-94 from the Illinois state line to the Michigan state line they better put in high speed ramps linking to the old toll road. also I-94 can be 5 lanes each way + aux from the toll road to IL

silverback1065

US 31 at SR 10 and SR 110 will be converted to  J-turns soon. 

I-39

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 09, 2017, 09:19:12 AM

I wonder if this means freeway conversion in that segment won't be coming anytime soon. Not that it's a bad thing, since there are bigger priorities.

silverback1065

Quote from: I-39 on June 09, 2017, 09:49:03 AM

I wonder if this means freeway conversion in that segment won't be coming anytime soon. Not that it's a bad thing, since there are bigger priorities.

i'd say yes it will be a while.  i'd at least fill the kokomo westfield gap.

NWI_Irish96

South side of IN 10 is going to be a tight fit with the railroad overpass there.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

I-39

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 09, 2017, 09:50:25 AM
Quote from: I-39 on June 09, 2017, 09:49:03 AM

i'd say yes it will be a while.  i'd at least fill the kokomo westfield gap.

Yes, they should do the section between Kokomo and SR 38, but north of Kokomo can wait for a while.

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: I-39 on June 02, 2017, 12:50:23 PM
Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on May 24, 2017, 08:02:22 PM
On or after June 1, the widening of I-65 from Merrillville to Lowell will begin in earnest.

Just was on there yesterday, and not a lick of construction has begun. The construction zone wasn't even set up.

And I found out why: according to INDOT, crews were setting up a camera system to monitor the work zone, but there was a delay in the utility service that caused them to push back the start of the project.

A new start date is set for June 15, at the earliest.

pianocello

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on June 09, 2017, 10:44:23 PM
And I found out why: according to INDOT, crews were setting up a camera system to monitor the work zone, but there was a delay in the utility service that caused them to push back the start of the project.

Seriously? Is the camera feed really all that important to delay an entire construction project? Unless it's a liability thing...
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

silverback1065

Quote from: pianocello on June 14, 2017, 09:35:36 PM
Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on June 09, 2017, 10:44:23 PM

Seriously? Is the camera feed really all that important to delay an entire construction project? Unless it's a liability thing...

INDOT has been working with Purdue on time lapse vids of their projects, this could be another one

02 Park Ave

Have the new, July 1st, toll rates for the Toll Road been published yet?
C-o-H

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.