Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLRoads

Yes, I did forget about that. And I have pictures of that as well...

Alex

I saw no signed for Florida 162 when I took the Exit 203 off-ramp last year:
http://www.southeastroads.com/florida010/i-010_eb_exit_203_07.jpg

However, I know that an overhead for the eastbound return ramp was added since that photo was taken, so perhaps S.R. 162 gained a shield? Though, if it was signed, it would be an eastbound only route right?

florida

Thanks for the info, I do look forward to seeing those Panama City pics when they're up. From what I remember, there should have been a keys shield for 389 on Old (now CR?) 22 west of Business 98, and a colored and faded US 231 shield assembly north of town, probably off what was old SR 77A now CR 2321(?). Also, the westernmost CR (30A? now probably 3037) in Panama City Beach near the Walton County Line has an old keys 30A shield on the approach to US 98 dating from when 98 was along Alternate 98. Did they remove the colored 98/Business 98/231 shields from downtown? Also, there could have been some old 392 shields on Clara and Alf Coleman

That's good the C-83A shield is still up.

As per 162, I emailed District 3 and they said it was signed. Is Raymond Diehl now one way EB? Either 61 or 261 should have shields. Glad to see the Panhandle mast arms are quickly popping up everywhere  :rolleyes: I miss not being able to road trip.
So many roads...so little time.

Alex

I'll let flaroadgeek answer you on his sign finds of this past weekend.

As for the downtown Panama City coloured shields, those were all but gone by 2006. The final reverse coloured U.S. 98 business overhead on U.S. 231 south succumbed last year. That leaves just one set of coloured shields on overheads along U.S. 98 west at U.S. 231 of the two groupings.

florida

:D Hope they never take them down.

Bryant5493

^^ I remember going to Florida, about ten years, and seeing the multi-colored US route signs. I wished I was into route signage back then. If I were, I'd have photographed them.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

CarlFox

Couple of new items from the Times-Union, this time in re: I-95...

74/171FAN

It's bad enough now at the I-10 interchange :-|  Fortunately I won't be on band trips to Disney or Miami by then since I will have graduated :nod: ;-)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Norn-Iron

I just visited florida, and my i was heavily impressed by the quality of the roads, even the county routes (particularily Polk and hillsborough county). Although the speed limits are by far unreasonable.

florida

I was browsing the FL 61 page on here and Leon County 265 has been decommissioned south of US 27???

I drove through Jax on a trip up to NY last week, and the new Trout River bridge is nice (been about 4 years since I was up there, forgive me). The Clark Road, Owens Road, and FLA 108 overpasses have button-copy on them. Signs on SB I-95 are 'whited out' on the new alignment/bridge of I-95 (you still use the old one for now). Alt 1 (Emerson section) has a lot of old signals on it  :wow:

On 9A, there are no exit numbers, but two interchanges (US 90 and FL 10) have blank exit tabs on the signs. There's still a cutout FL 113 shield going NB.

njroadhorse

When is 9A going to become I-295?
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

FLRoads

From what I have been told by someone at FDOT bids go out for signage for the eastern half of Interstate 295 in September with implementation of signing in early 2010.

florida

I was going through old road photos and does anyone have information on the Tupelo Parkway in Wewahitchka? On Gulf County 22 east of downtown, there is a plaque stating "The Tupelo Parkway designated by the 1967 (either that or '47?) legislature of Florida." It seems like it would have connected with Liberty County 22 in Sumatra, as there is a huge ROW going due east to the Owens Bridge area (no bridge crossing). Liberty County 22 continues eastward, though taking the route of FH 125 to Liberty County 67, but at the another intersection of CR 22 and CR 67, there is another huge ROW going west, undriveable, through the forest. This section of CR 22 goes east from CR 67 to the Ochlockonee River, where it dead ends, but it ties in perfectly with Wakulla County 22 west of Sopchoppy. It seems like it was going to be a more direct through route from Crawfordville/Sopchoppy to Panama City vs. US 98/US 319. I'm curious as to whether NIMBYs or the small coastal towns killed this road, and what its history is, but there is no information; even FDOT didn't get back to me on this.

Alex

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/orl-bk-alafaya-trail-528-access-051109,0,5727974.story

Alafaya Trail to get access to the BeachLine

6:43 PM EDT, May 11, 2009

Alafaya Trail, the once-rural road in east Orange County now overrun with harried commuters, should get some traffic relief because it will finally be linked to the BeachLine Expressway, Orange County Mayor Rich Crotty promised Monday.

Referring to Alafaya as "the county's biggest cul-de-sac," Crotty said construction of a 2-mile-long link to an existing interchange on the toll road, also known as State Road 528, could start within 90 days and be completed within 18 months.

"This is a very big announcement," he said.

Alafaya, which runs north-south, hosts a plethora of large housing developments, including Waterford Lakes and Avalon Park. Those developments' main connection to downtown Orlando and other employment centers is S.R. 408, another tollway, or crowded local roads such as Colonial Drive and Lake Underhill Road.

There is nothing to the south on Alafaya because the road stops within eyesight of the BeachLine, near Orlando Utilities Commission's power plants.

"It's frustrating. ... They can see the BeachLine, yet not get east-west access to it," Crotty said.

Suburban Land Reserve Inc., a sister company of Deseret Ranch, which is owned by the Mormon Church, will donate the land and pay for construction of what is being called the E-road. It will tie Alafaya in with the BeachLine at an interchange now serving a state prison processing center and International Corporate Park.

The link is expected to cost as much as $10 million. County officials will offset some of that by waiving impact fees; the amount of the waiver is still to be determined, but it could possibly be worth millions.

"We are also proud to be a part of the solution that will provide residents in the East Orange County communities with greater access and mobility options throughout Central Florida," Suburban Land said in a prepared statement.

Suburban Land stands to profit from the arrangement because the E-road would improve access to International Corporate Park, a long-dormant commercial-and-industrial development that the company purchased in September 2007. The Mormon Church also controls the Deseret Ranch, a 300,000-acre working cattle spread just to the east of ICP.

That ranch, which spans parts of Orange, Osceola and Brevard counties, will likely be developed in coming years as Orlando's urban core creeps farther outward. The Orange County Commission recently shelved a request by Suburban Land to extend the government boundary for urban services to include nearly 4,600 acres of its ranch. If it had been approved, it would have opened the door for Deseret to potentially build as many as 10,000 houses, apartments and condominiums.

The prison interchange, which was poorly designed and is lightly used, would never be able to handle the traffic generated by a development of such magnitude. That's why Suburban Land is close to completing another deal with the county and the Orlando Orange County Expressway Authority to build a full, $31 million interchange just to the west of the existing one. Construction would take two years.

A tentative agreement calls for Suburban Land to donate property and design work worth $12.5 million, while the county would spend $6 million and the expressway authority would chip in $12 million.

That interchange would also be a boon to a plan long championed by Crotty called Innovation Way -- a travel corridor that would link the University of Central Florida to the north with ICP to the south and Orlando International Airport and Lake Nona's "medical city" to the southwest.

CarlFox

A couple new Jacksonville items...

http://www.jacksonville.com/news/metro/2009-05-12/story/outer_beltway_given_new_life_by_lawmakers

QuoteThe Florida Department of Transportation delayed the project last year because of uncertainty about whether the state would charge property taxes on the beltway land. The state doesn't have the money to build the road and wants to hire a private contractor to build and maintain it while charging tolls – how much is yet to be determined – to recoup its investment.

The uncertainty appeared to end last week,  when the Legislature passed a bill that would exempt a private company from those taxes. Gov. Charlie Crist hasn't decided whether to sign the bill, spokesman Sterling Ivey  said.

Charles Baldwin,  the transportation department's district secretary, said the agency began meeting this week about hiring a private contractor.

Interesting development...oh, and they have finished the "exit" to Chaffee Road, and put up the BGS at the intersection of SR 23 (now the "Cecil Commerce Center Parkway" in Duval County, per the City's request; there's already signs near the I-10 interchange with the new name) and 103rd St (SR 134).  Chaffee's southern terminus is now SR 23 instead of 103rd St.

http://www.jacksonville.com/news/metro/2009-05-12/story/baldwin_bypass_threatens_small_town_feel

QuoteThe Florida Department of Transportation has planned a bypass since the 1970s that would take traffic around Baldwin and over two separate railroad tracks. Dormant for years because the state never funded it, the project is now being studied by DOT, which is supposed to identify the best alternative.

U.S. 90 and U.S. 301 merge into one road for about a mile in downtown Baldwin, creating traffic congestion. Where the roads combine, daily traffic is 11,200 vehicles, an increase of several thousand vehicles from the traffic counts of both roads before they combine.

Two CSX railroad tracks also go through the downtown area, creating traffic backups when trains are going through.

A bypass would solve both problems. The state is looking at three separate options, with the cost of those options ranging from $86 million to $135 million. The study doesn't mean construction is imminent, because there's no money for it in the state's five-year plan. But it has support from U.S. Rep. Corrine Brown,  D-Fla., who is looking for federal money.

I had forgotten US 90 and US 301 duplexed in Baldwin...

Alex

QuoteI was browsing the FL 61 page on here and Leon County 265 has been decommissioned south of US 27???

That was according to the FDOT shape files and actually driving the road in late 2007. There was only one Leon County 265 shield IIRC east of Florida 61, and no signs until north of U.S. 27 at all. Someday I'll post a page on it with those photos too.

QuoteI had forgotten US 90 and US 301 duplexed in Baldwin...

I drove through Baldwin on U.S. 301 south in December 2006 and have photos of the short overlap too. U.S. 90 also has short cosignings with U.S. 221, U.S. 331, and U.S. 19 around the courthouse in Monticello.

Thanks for posting those Jacksonville area news articles. It appears there is hope for the First Coast Outer Beltway yet. Incidentally the 2010 American Map Company atlas (Geonova base) shows FL-23 as a short freeway leading south from Interstate 10 already.

Alex

Travelers without Sunpass may use SR 414 starting tomorrow. The link between Hiawassee Road and OBT may open in less than two months.

http://www.oocea.com/Corporate/news/PressReleases.aspx?ID=121

NEW EXPRESSWAY OPENS TO ALL MOTORISTS
Posted By: Lindsay Hodges
Release Date:5/12/2009

Expressway Authority Announces the Full Opening of the SR 414 John Land Apopka Expressway
ORLANDO - The Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority (OOCEA) will open State Road 414 John Land Apopka Expressway to all toll customers at noon on Friday, May 15, 2009. All on and off ramps of the SR 414 expressway will also open at this time. This new expressway extends from State Road 429 (Daniel Webster Western Expressway) to Maitland Boulevard at US 441. This is the first new, major Central Florida east-west corridor built in decades, and serves as a bypass around Apopka. It improves access to SR 429, Interstate 4, and employment centers such as the Maitland Center, while relieving congestion on US 441 and many local roads in the greater Apopka area.

Additionally, the SR 414 Coral Hills Main Toll Plaza and all tolled ramps on SR 414 are equipped with Express Lanes that enable E-PASS and SunPass customers to pay tolls electronically at the posted highway speed resulting in better, safer and faster travel on our system.

There will be some limited construction activities following the opening of SR 414. Motorists will be advised through signage on the roadway and alerts will continue to be sent. Final completion of the project is scheduled for early July 2009.

Portions of SR 414 opened in February to E-PASS and SunPass customers only. During this time, construction continued on the Coral Hills Main Toll Plaza and the ramp plazas and the portion of the expressway between Hiawassee Road and Maitland Boulevard at US 441.

The Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority, established in 1963 by the Florida Legislature, is responsible for the planning, design, construction, operation and maintenance of a 105-mile limited-access expressway system to serve the metropolitan Orlando area. The Expressway Authority's system includes SR 414, SR 408 (Spessard L. Holland East-West Expressway), SR 528 (Martin B. Anderson Beachline Expressway), SR 417 (Central Florida GreeneWay) and SR 429 (Daniel Webster Western Beltway). The Expressway Authority was the first to bring Electronic Toll Collection to Florida with the inception of E-PASS in 1994. Today, there are more than 500,000 E-PASS transponders in use.

74/171FAN

Of course the infamous First Coast Outer Beltway moves forward thanks to legislation signed by Governor Charlie Crist  :-/ http://www.jacksonville.com/news/metro/2009-06-01/story/crist_signs_outer_beltway_bill_in_jacksonville
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

florida

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 02, 2009, 01:43:50 PM
Of course the infamous First Coast Outer Beltway moves forward thanks to legislation signed by Governor Charlie Crist  :-/ http://www.jacksonville.com/news/metro/2009-06-01/story/crist_signs_outer_beltway_bill_in_jacksonville

Yay, another toll road to shell out money in order to clinch it.

Tom

Thought this article would go along with this topic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Roads_in_Florida :coffee:

florida

Regarding that site, I'm always curious where they get their information (especially on county routes).

FLRoads

Find of the day:

An old style directional mileage sign with white background and raised black lettering. Photo taken 06/21/09.

florida

I know where that's at!

FLRoads

I figured you would know where that is located!  :-P

agentsteel53

gotta love that crazy Florida font that almost looks very neatly hand-printed.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.