News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

State Route Freeways

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 02, 2009, 08:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: TXtoNJ on November 04, 2009, 09:36:40 AM
^^ I think that is more to indicate the actual physical road (the Kansas Turnpike), while the Interstate route is indicated by the shield that goes along with it. It's also a holdover from when I-335 was simply the "Kansas Turnpike".

KTA being Kansas Turnpike Authority, of course.

the shield already says "Kansas Turnpike" around the perimeter of the sunflower, so why the redundant KTA?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Arkansas has AR 549 (future I-49) and AR 440 (future I-440)
(that's all I can think of at the moment)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Michael

Quote from: burgess87 on November 03, 2009, 09:18:51 AM
Wait, isn't NY SH 17 co-signed with IH 86 (Southern Tier Expressway)?

Yes, all of I-86 in New York is still signed as NY 17.  That's the best example in New York.

Another example is NY 690, all of which is a freeway.  NY 481 is a freeway between I-81 in North Syracuse and Fulton.  It's a four-lane arterial through Fulton, and is an expressway with some intersections between Fulton and Oswego.

NY 695, connecting NY 5 with I-690 is about two miles long, and was Reference Route 930T until the 1990's.

NY 365 and NY 49 have expressway and freeway portions in the Rome area.

There's more, but these are the only ones I can think of now.

PAHighways

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 04, 2009, 08:41:02 AMI've often wondered why individual agencies have variations in their shields.  The average driver simply does not care who maintains the road.  Either they have to pay a toll, or they do not.

I was informed the reason the PTC changed from a black-on-white "PA TOLL ##" keystone to the white-on-green "PA Turnpike ##" keystone was because of the horrible connotation "TOLL" had with the public.

agentsteel53

PA Turnpike makes sense.  "PA Turnpike Authority" would be a bit excessive.  And here's hoping we never get "PA Turnpike Authority, Brought to you by Fedex, on the Budweiser Dual Carriageways with Bank of America Lanes and General Motors Asphalt Paving"

jake@aaroads.com

mightyace

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 04, 2009, 04:20:53 PM
PA Turnpike makes sense.  "PA Turnpike Authority" would be a bit excessive.  And here's hoping we never get "PA Turnpike Authority, Brought to you by Fedex, on the Budweiser Dual Carriageways with Bank of America Lanes and General Motors Asphalt Paving"

It's Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, but that still wouldn't make it look any better or otherwise make your point invalid.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

agentsteel53

Quote from: mightyace on November 04, 2009, 06:09:45 PM

It's Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, but that still wouldn't make it look any better or otherwise make your point invalid.

good, I'm glad I didn't remember.  I hate brand names.  Especially superfluous ones.

jake@aaroads.com

D-Dey65

Quote from: Michael on November 04, 2009, 12:49:26 PM
Quote from: burgess87 on November 03, 2009, 09:18:51 AM
Wait, isn't NY SH 17 co-signed with IH 86 (Southern Tier Expressway)?

Yes, all of I-86 in New York is still signed as NY 17.  That's the best example in New York.

Another example is NY 690, all of which is a freeway.  NY 481 is a freeway between I-81 in North Syracuse and Fulton.  It's a four-lane arterial through Fulton, and is an expressway with some intersections between Fulton and Oswego.

NY 695, connecting NY 5 with I-690 is about two miles long, and was Reference Route 930T until the 1990's.

NY 365 and NY 49 have expressway and freeway portions in the Rome area.

There's more, but these are the only ones I can think of now.
NY 27, but only between NY 109 in West Babylon and east of Exit 66 in Shinnecock Hills. If there were any justice, it would be a limited-access highway from the Prospect Expressway to Amagansett, and then be converted into a limited-access version of Montauk Point State Parkway.

florida

Quote from: realjd on November 03, 2009, 10:53:15 PM
Quote from: florida on November 03, 2009, 05:23:01 PM
Miami-Dade County expressways have the blank top (like above), in the green color, for non-tolled routes (or directions)....except FL 826.

The Palmetto isn't maintained by MDX, so that's probably why they don't use the special shield. Even the official toll shield is used inconsistently down there for whatever reason. I don't remember seeing a single one along I-95 or the Turnpike at any interchange for an MDX road.

I didn't ever think of it that way (the Palmetto not getting a special shield).
So many roads...so little time.

SSOWorld

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 04, 2009, 04:20:53 PM
Don't forget "Driven by Ford" :happy:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Master son on November 04, 2009, 07:03:15 PM
Don't forget "Driven by Ford" :happy:

if my car makes it there... 215000 miles and counting!

jake@aaroads.com

Tom

Quote from: Hellfighter on November 03, 2009, 04:18:28 PM
Quote from: Brandon on November 03, 2009, 11:29:19 AM

Michigan has several.
M-5
M-6
M-8, Davison Fwy
M-10, Lodge Fwy
M-14
M-39, Southfield Fwy
M-53 between Utica and Romeo
M-59 between Pontiac and Utica

In addition, Michigan also had M-21 between Flint and Port Huron (became I-69).  I-69 between Olivet and Flint was planned as M-78.

You forgot the partial M-47 freeway between Saginaw and US-10

An M-20 freeway opened to traffic in 1958 between Bay City and Midland (now part of US-10).  Also, the US-10 freeway extention that opened in 1975 from north of Clare to west of Farwell was also M-115 until it was redesignated back onto old US-10 from Clare to the US-10 interchange.  And there's M-66 co-signed with I-194 in Battle Creek, M-46 co-signed with US-131 from west of Cedar Springs to north of Howard City, and M-20 cosigned with US-131 from near Stanwood to Big Rapids. :coffee:

TXtoNJ

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 04, 2009, 10:00:34 AM
Quote from: TXtoNJ on November 04, 2009, 09:36:40 AM
^^ I think that is more to indicate the actual physical road (the Kansas Turnpike), while the Interstate route is indicated by the shield that goes along with it. It's also a holdover from when I-335 was simply the "Kansas Turnpike".

KTA being Kansas Turnpike Authority, of course.

the shield already says "Kansas Turnpike" around the perimeter of the sunflower, so why the redundant KTA?

Why is anything marked in a given way? Why write the word "Interstate" on those shields, when it's clear what they are from the design of the shield alone?

agentsteel53

Quote from: TXtoNJ on November 05, 2009, 12:19:27 PM
Why is anything marked in a given way? Why write the word "Interstate" on those shields, when it's clear what they are from the design of the shield alone?

I've always wondered about that too ... I say put the state name up there, as one random Los Angeles area contractor seems to like doing.

www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=CA20054051t104050.jpg&search=405

jake@aaroads.com

okroads

Oklahoma has a few:

OK 11 (Tulsa)
OK 51 (Tulsa)
OK 74 (Oklahoma City)
OK 152 (Oklahoma City)
OK 165 (Muskogee)

Greybear

Texas has quite a few.

Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex:

TX 114
TX 121
TX 161
TX 183
TX 360

Houston:

TX 288

San Antonio:

TX 151

njroadhorse

New Jersey has a lot of freeways, but most are "Jersey-style" freeways, with businesses lining each side.  Anyways:
- NJ 3
- NJ 4
- NJ 15
- NJ 17 (Jersey-style, but lots of grade separation)
- NJ 18
- NJ 19
- NJ 21
- NJ 24
- NJ 29 (segments)
- NJ 42
- NJ 55
- NJ 81
- NJ 90
- NJ 133
- NJ 208
- NJ 440
- NJ 495
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

wandering drive

Minnesota has a few around the Twin Cities area (MN 36, 62, 77, 100, 610, small portions of 5 and 55).  Highway 100 has a pretty fascinating history going back to New Deal era construction in 1935.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.