News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Closed Exits

Started by Shades101, December 07, 2013, 12:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GCrites

Quote from: 6a on January 09, 2014, 02:12:43 PM
One I've always wondered about is SB Alum Creek to WB I-270 in Columbus. Is it closed, or was it never finished?

What goes on here now? There's grading going on at this interchange. Is it to add this much-fantasized-about ramp? Or could the grading be for something else?

I recall the ramp being there and us using it in the early '80s but I was in preschool then and probably don't remember things well. Mom says it was never there. I know it was gone for sure (if it ever existed) by the late '90s.

vtk

Yes, they are building that ramp now.

Old USGS topos do not show the ramp existing.  I'm sure I have old Franklin County maps from various years that also do not show the ramp existing.  Your mom is right.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

jakeroot

Quote from: vtk on October 27, 2014, 05:15:55 PM

Any idea what they plan to do? Looks like a slip ramp from SB Alum Creek to WB I-270, but the geometry is all wrong (except if they plan to construct a clover within that, which is strange because I didn't think DOTs still constructed tight weaving situations).

6a

Quote from: jake on October 27, 2014, 05:52:14 PM

Any idea what they plan to do? Looks like a slip ramp from SB Alum Creek to WB I-270, but the geometry is all wrong (except if they plan to construct a clover within that, which is strange because I didn't think DOTs still constructed tight weaving situations).

It's not going to follow that outline, the grading is a more standard ramp; a gradual arc I guess would be a way to say it.

jakeroot

Quote from: 6a on October 27, 2014, 05:59:23 PM

Quote from: jake on October 27, 2014, 05:52:14 PM

It's not going to follow that outline, the grading is a more standard ramp; a gradual arc I guess would be a way to say it.

That's what I was hoping (not like this in Bend, Oregon, for example).

6a

Quote from: jake on October 27, 2014, 06:02:57 PM

That's what I was hoping (not like this in Bend, Oregon, for example).

Oh god, with the truck traffic at that exit...my word that wouldn't work, haha.

As for a soon-to-be-closed exit, the I-70 WB ramp to 4th St in downtown Columbus goes away the evening of 11/7. The new Mound St. Connector opens the next morning and should be hilarious to watch.

Pete from Boston

The very useful 14th St. exit (Exit 6) off the FDR Drive southbound at the big Con Ed station closed in 2002 (I believe it was right after the big transformer explosion there that year, but left in place because of security fears).  Orange "closed" banners like in the GSV linked below were slapped over the BGS for it.  The BGSs were finally removed this year or last, only 11-12 years after the exit de-facto-permanently closed.

http://goo.gl/maps/W24YG

vtk

Quote from: 6a on October 27, 2014, 06:11:26 PM

As for a soon-to-be-closed exit, the I-70 WB ramp to 4th St in downtown Columbus goes away the evening of 11/7. The new Mound St. Connector opens the next morning and should be hilarious to watch.

Yeah I had previously heard indirectly there would be a one or two week transition period with both ramps open.  Apparently not.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

gilpdawg

Quote from: lepidopteran on January 08, 2014, 07:24:25 PM
In Dayton, OH, for a long time there was a closed exit off of I-75 at Riverside Dr., to and from the east only.  I heard it was closed because of its proximity to the interchange with OH-4, aptly named "Malfunction Junction", at least until its reconstruction in the 200s finally eliminated the tight and narrow curves.  Pretty much all evidence of the ramps on the north side have been eliminated with the recent construction, including the concrete-intensive ramp from the SB bridge down to Riverside Dr.  South of I-75, you can still make out the grading for the NB Riverside-to-NB I-75 on-ramp, along with SB-to-NB loop-ramp, which was actually still in use right up until it closed for the construction project.

They also closed the Little York Rd. exit when they put in the Benchwood/Wyse Rds. interchange. The ROW was still evident until quite recently but now they've developed that newly open land.

ctsignguy

Quote from: gilpdawg on October 29, 2014, 06:56:50 PM
Quote from: lepidopteran on January 08, 2014, 07:24:25 PM
In Dayton, OH, for a long time there was a closed exit off of I-75 at Riverside Dr., to and from the east only.  I heard it was closed because of its proximity to the interchange with OH-4, aptly named "Malfunction Junction", at least until its reconstruction in the 200s finally eliminated the tight and narrow curves.  Pretty much all evidence of the ramps on the north side have been eliminated with the recent construction, including the concrete-intensive ramp from the SB bridge down to Riverside Dr.  South of I-75, you can still make out the grading for the NB Riverside-to-NB I-75 on-ramp, along with SB-to-NB loop-ramp, which was actually still in use right up until it closed for the construction project.

They also closed the Little York Rd. exit when they put in the Benchwood/Wyse Rds. interchange. The ROW was still evident until quite recently but now they've developed that newly open land.

ODOT also closed old Exit 57 (Neva Dr) during that reconstruction, plus totally revamping the Stanley. Ave exit (Exit 56).  I think a couple of other exits were also permanently closed as a result of the redoing of "Malfunction Junction"(I-75/OH 4)
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

cl94

About flipping time. They've been talking about that since before I spent a few years there. At least they're doing the changeover on a Saturday so nobody will be going downtown.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Roadrunner75

A long closed exit here on the Garden State Parkway: 
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.10836,-74.795775&spn=0.000008,0.006539&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=39.108562,-74.796885&panoid=0jTKgLSXA7LV8JT2agub8Q&cbp=12,7.04,,0,-0.28
I thought I read somewhere that this served the early days of the GSP to complete the Cape May Courthouse bypass segment (currently under construction to add the new interchanges) before the segment to the north was completed.  I remember turning left NB off the GSP in this area, but it may have been a connection just south of Cape May CH.

cl94

The old Exit 98 on NY 17. Just kidding.

The EB NY 198-SB Elmwood Avenue ramp in Buffalo has not existed for at least 20 years. Exiting traffic must weave over and exit onto what was the NB exit ramp. Not too far from here, I-190 NB formerly had a direct ramp to Porter Avenue.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

TEG24601

I have several...

There is a Cloverleaf ramp from I-5 to SR-512 in Lakewood, WA that was replaced with a wider Diamond Ramp to convert a full cloverleaf into a parclo.

When the MAX was built through Portland, the Eastern approaches to the Steel Bridge were rebuilt, and a direct ramp to I-84 East was removed, and the stub still exists.  I it is one of only a hand full of removed ramps with Stubs, others were never built.  Which also leads to a ramp that used to exist from the WB I-84 to NB I-5 ramp, which connected to surface streets to connect to the Steel Bridge and former 99W.  There was also a ramp from SE 2nd Ave to I-84 EB that was closed when the interchange was rebuild in conjunction with the MAX.

Which also leads to the entire missing Harbor Freeway and all the ramps to and from it to the bridges, or from Front St/Naito Ave to the Bridges.  Of which the one from Naito to the Hawthorne Bridge is completely intact and just a curb prevents its use.

Then finally, I will add the missing left exits and entrances along I-90/94 through downtown Chicago.  Every-other one was removed to provide acceleration lanes to the others.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

GCrites

Quote from: cl94 on October 30, 2014, 07:15:22 PM

About flipping time. They've been talking about that since before I spent a few years there. At least they're doing the changeover on a Saturday so nobody will be going downtown volume will be lower.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on October 30, 2014, 08:46:20 PM
Not too far from here, I-190 NB formerly had a direct ramp to Porter Avenue.
Speaking of that area, is there a reason I-190 is missing exit 10?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

QuoteExit was part of the original design but never constructed
I don't see a Ferry St exit in the plans (at least, not the ones I looked at), but there is a "future connection" noted where the Peace Bridge ramps are now with a similar design.  Maybe Porter Rd and the Peace Bridge were planned to be separate exits at one time?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on October 31, 2014, 02:30:53 PM
I don't see a Ferry St exit in the plans (at least, not the ones I looked at), but there is a "future connection" noted where the Peace Bridge ramps are now with a similar design.  Maybe Porter Rd and the Peace Bridge were planned to be separate exits at one time?

I'm trying to figure out how they even could fit an exit there. It was immediately south of the toll booths, the river is a few feet to one side of the road, and the CSX line to the Whirlpool Bridge borders the other. I'll head over to the library later and see if I can dig up any plans in UB's archives. I've found everything else for this part of the state there.

I do know that Exit 8 was originally supposed to be for NY 33, but that stretch of expressway was never built. Stub ramps exist coming from I-190 with provisions for braiding.

Speaking of braiding, aerial imagery indicates that I-290 once had C-D roadways and a single exit from the main roadways for each multi-ramp interchange or closely-spaced interchange pair. Any idea why these were taken out during widening without replacement? Certainly would make traffic flow more smoothly if there were some.

Mike_OH

In Cincinnati the old ramp from Montgomery Road to Westbound Norwood Lateral still connects to the expressway but not to the surface streets anymore.

cl94

Quote from: cl94 on October 31, 2014, 03:42:09 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 31, 2014, 02:30:53 PM

I'm trying to figure out how they even could fit an exit there. It was immediately south of the toll booths, the river is a few feet to one side of the road, and the CSX line to the Whirlpool Bridge borders the other. I'll head over to the library later and see if I can dig up any plans in UB's archives. I've found everything else for this part of the state there.

No plans, but I did see the annual reports from the mid-50s to the 2000s. One from the 60s had a map containing an exit list for the entire system. Exits N10 and N16 were listed as "not open", so there was (at one point) a planned Exit N9. Until I see any official documents stating otherwise, I'll assume that the Peace Bridge was supposed to be N10.

GCrites

Quote from: GCrites80s on October 27, 2014, 03:48:04 PM
Quote from: 6a on January 09, 2014, 02:12:43 PM
One I've always wondered about is SB Alum Creek to WB I-270 in Columbus. Is it closed, or was it never finished?

What goes on here now? There's grading going on at this interchange. Is it to add this much-fantasized-about ramp? Or could the grading be for something else?

I recall the ramp being there and us using it in the early '80s but I was in preschool then and probably don't remember things well. Mom says it was never there. I know it was gone for sure (if it ever existed) by the late '90s.

This ramp is open now. It does not follow the alignment of the fantasy ramp.

peterj920

Here is a recently built interchange on I-43 north of Sheboygan that is only open for golf events at Whistling Straits.  It will open in about 2 weeks for about a week, then it will be closed for 5 years until the Ryder Cup is played there in 2020.  The people near the interchange were very upset that this interchange was built since it cost $4 million and it is sparsely used. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.830497,-87.771768,3a,75y,22.59h,63.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sunuCDmIb4-pSQwiVbeGNpw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

roadman65

I was looking at Historic Aerials and I noticed that in Orlando originally before the East West Expressway was built, that I-4 had and EB off and on to parallel Division Avenue where the current FL 408 trumpet interchange is now.

They closed all eastbound to and from Gore Street ramps to make the new toll road connection that is now being removed during the I-4 Ultimate Project.  However, those ramps will not be returned as even the WB exit for Gore Street was closed several years ago when the South Street interchange was remodified.  The only thing left from Gore Street from original I-4 at Gore/Division is that of the westbound I-4 on ramp which might be closed permanently after the ultimate, but not sure of that as I must consult the plans.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.