News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on October 25, 2014, 07:47:40 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 25, 2014, 07:37:27 PM
Or, we can just use New York. They're control cities, not "let's sign every medium sized city in the stat cities.

I would like to at least think the state capital as well as the state's largest city should be signed. On the flip side, if you're heading south, what do you sign? Wilmington?

Only if it's relative to help assist drivers as to their direction.  The Turnpike doesn't come close to going thru Trenton.  You could probably convince me on New Brunswick, although I don't know if that's of much importance to many drivers.  But yet, you could make an argument (on the Southbound side, at least), for Philadelphia...AFTER the 95 ramps are completed in PA, because that's the next major city on 95.

Wilmington sucks as a Control City.  For the same reason as I mentioned for Trenton, the Turnpike or even the direction of travel for the majority of drivers doesn't go to Wilmington.  I would've proposed Delaware or Del Mem Br.  If they insist on a city: Baltimore would be fine.

jeffandnicole

Some of the current 511 traffic alerts for the Turnpike (at about 10:40pm), indicating the work undergoing to open up the inner roadway...

As of 8:57pm, there's Roadwork on the New Jersey Turnpike northbound from North of Interchange 5 - CR 541 in Springfield Twp to South of Interchange 6 - Pennsylvania Turnpike in Mansfield Twp. Left and center lanes closed until 9:00 A.M. 

As of 9:21pm, there's Stop and Go Traffic on the New Jersey Turnpike outer roadway northbound from Interchange 7A - I-195 in Robbinsville to Interchange 8A - NJ 32 in Monroe Twp state police traffic slowdown in progress, Motorists should anticipate delays and use caution due to current roadway conditions. 

As of 9:56pm, there are Delays on the New Jersey Turnpike northbound from North of Interchange 8 - NJ 33 in East Windsor Twp to Inner and Outer Roadway Split in South Brunswick Twp 6 mile delay, 20-25 minute additional travel time. 

As of 10:24pm, there's Roadwork on the New Jersey Turnpike inner roadway northbound in the vicinity of Interchange 8A - NJ 32 in South Brunswick Twp. All lanes closed to traffic until 2:00 A.M.

Don'tKnowYet

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on October 24, 2014, 11:47:18 PM
What is the next project going to be for the Turnpike?  Three lanes south of Exit 4?

I hope to god at a minimum it is the widening of the Western Spur north of 16W.  Giving the southbound Western Spur essentially a new bridge to accomodate a climbing lane for trucks entering from 15 W would be awesome too.  So i guess what i'm saying is blow up the Western Spur and start all over except between 15 W and 16W.  F that south of Interchange 4 garbage.

Alps

Quote from: Don'tKnowYet on October 30, 2014, 05:35:05 PM
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on October 24, 2014, 11:47:18 PM
What is the next project going to be for the Turnpike?  Three lanes south of Exit 4?

I hope to god at a minimum it is the widening of the Western Spur north of 16W.  Giving the southbound Western Spur essentially a new bridge to accomodate a climbing lane for trucks entering from 15 W would be awesome too.  So i guess what i'm saying is blow up the Western Spur and start all over except between 15 W and 16W.  F that south of Interchange 4 garbage.
Trust me, if you have a complaint about it, it's on the Authority's radar. In terms of what's coming up next, though, after a huge project like the Widening there's a lot of bridge rehab to be done. The priority is to keep every roadway open and safe! As the tolls continue to come in and the revenue builds back up, projects like the ones you mention will pop back onto the radar.

02 Park Ave

Projects south of Exit 7A should be given priority!
C-o-H

Alps

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on October 30, 2014, 06:32:19 PM
Based on knowledge of structural conditions and traffic volumes, I question this.

jeffandnicole

The major upcoming projects (along with current projects) for both the Turnpike & Parkway are listed here: http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/our-projects.html

As far as other projects on the horizon, other than the twinning of the NJ/PA Turnpike Bridge, I haven't heard or read of anything significant in their Board minutes. 

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on October 30, 2014, 06:32:19 PM

Oh...kay....

Let's start with the section between Interchanges 7A & 6.  How about widening that to, say, 6 lanes each way?  :banghead:

So now that is out of the way, let's talk below Interchange 6.

First off, the PA Turnpike is kinda screwing up the master plan for the area.  By this time the 95/PA Tpk ramps should've been open.  Since that'll take another century few years to complete, keep that in mind as to the need of other projects in the South Jersey area.

IMO...there should be some consideration given to widening the Turnpike between Interchanges 3 & 4.  While the long-term goals of the Turnpike would be a widening from Interchanges 1 - 4, the most critical need is really from 3 - 4.  Having said that, Traffic volumes should be expected to drop a bit overall once the PA Turnpike connection is complete, which will eliminate the dire need for widening the road anywhere south of the dual-dual lanes.

Of course, the big improvement everyone has asked for is a connection with 42 just south of Interchange 3.  I'm not sure where the resistance has been from most: NJDOT, NJ Turnpike, or both.  It probably needs to become a priority with some of the South Jersey politicians in order to get such a project moving. I would like to think that making this an AET interchange would help with the land issues in the area too, as much of the interchange can thus be built on bridges and overpasses without the need for a toll plaza.

Another project I would like to see, and it could be done in connection with the above, is a direct link between the Turnpike with 295...but not where most people have suggested it.  Because of the ever-building traffic volumes on 295 especially between 42 & 73, slip ramps between the two highways could be built in the area between 73 & 38, which would be a few miles north of the Exit 4 ramp.  My idea would be just simple North to North ramps, and South to South ramps; no "U-turn" ramps where traffic on one road would switch directions onto the other road.  This would allow traffic on either road to bypass congestion (especially 295 congestion) or to make it easy to continue further north or south, depending on their ultimate destination.  Again, EZ Pass only. 

Beyond that, I can't see anything road related that really needs to be done between Interchanges 1 and 6.

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 31, 2014, 09:00:41 AM
First off, the PA Turnpike is kinda screwing up the master plan for the area.  By this time the 95/PA Tpk ramps should've been open.  Since that'll take another century few years to complete, keep that in mind as to the need of other projects in the South Jersey area.

Nono, you had it right the first time. Remember when they said it would be done in 2012? HA!

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 31, 2014, 09:00:41 AM
Of course, the big improvement everyone has asked for is a connection with 42 just south of Interchange 3.  I'm not sure where the resistance has been from most: NJDOT, NJ Turnpike, or both.  It probably needs to become a priority with some of the South Jersey politicians in order to get such a project moving. I would like to think that making this an AET interchange would help with the land issues in the area too, as much of the interchange can thus be built on bridges and overpasses without the need for a toll plaza.

Another project I would like to see, and it could be done in connection with the above, is a direct link between the Turnpike with 295...but not where most people have suggested it.  Because of the ever-building traffic volumes on 295 especially between 42 & 73, slip ramps between the two highways could be built in the area between 73 & 38, which would be a few miles north of the Exit 4 ramp.  My idea would be just simple North to North ramps, and South to South ramps; no "U-turn" ramps where traffic on one road would switch directions onto the other road.  This would allow traffic on either road to bypass congestion (especially 295 congestion) or to make it easy to continue further north or south, depending on their ultimate destination.  Again, EZ Pass only. 

While it would be nice to see an interchange with 42 and the Turnpike built, I thought one of the chief problems was the wetlands located where the ramps would need to be built? Plus, the Turnpike hasn't used AET yet (at least not to my knowledge), so I doubt they would start now. Then of course you have the issue of exit numbering, and since the Turnpike Authority signs include the exit number on the main signs themselves, you would have to greenout each of them (or label it 2X, like I proposed before with a rather shitty rendition of what it could look like).

For the interchange with 295, I thought the FHWA didn't like partial interchanges anymore. Though maybe you could reconfigure Exit 40 on I-295 in a way that provides access to and from the Turnpike - of course that is probably unlikely because there is a shopping mall right next to this interchange.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

02 Park Ave

Regarding a connexion between the Turnpike and Route 42, I always envisioned that Exit 3 would be utilised and then connecting ramps would be built over the Turnpike.  This would eliminate (some of) the wetlands issues that would exist.

Another potential project would be a tolled connecting road between Exit 2 and the COMO Barry Bridge.  It would pick-up paying shore traffic from US 322 and would complete a "belt way" around Philadelphia. (PA Tpk - Blue Route - I-95 - COMO Barry Bridge - new connecting road - NJ Tpk)
C-o-H

J Route Z

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on October 31, 2014, 11:53:17 AM
Regarding a connexion between the Turnpike and Route 42, I always envisioned that Exit 3 would be utilised and then connecting ramps would be built over the Turnpike.  This would eliminate (some of) the wetlands issues that would exist.

Another potential project would be a tolled connecting road between Exit 2 and the COMO Barry Bridge.  It would pick-up paying shore traffic from US 322 and would complete a "belt way" around Philadelphia. (PA Tpk - Blue Route - I-95 - COMO Barry Bridge - new connecting road - NJ Tpk)

Even though it would be more convenient for motorists, the environmentalists would say it is not feasible to build an exit here, since it is located really close to the Big Timber Creek. Though, ramps probably could still be built, but impact studies would have to be completed of course. Just like continuing Route 55 southward towards Wildwood.

I used to live in CH myself for many years. Are you on the East or West side

mrsman

Quote from: Zeffy on October 25, 2014, 07:47:40 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 25, 2014, 07:37:27 PM
Or, we can just use New York. They're control cities, not "let's sign every medium sized city in the stat cities.

I would like to at least think the state capital as well as the state's largest city should be signed. On the flip side, if you're heading south, what do you sign? Wilmington?

A control cities discussion:

For NJTP north, New York should be the control city all the way to the GWB.  Other cities can be added in as secondary cities.  E.g. Camden/New York or Trenton/New York or even Newark/New York.

For NJTP south, Trenton/Philadelphia should be the control city all the way to I-195.  Then, the control city should be Philadelphia / Baltimore to the PA Turnpike Ext.  South of that point, the control city should be Del Mem Bridge / Baltimore.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on October 31, 2014, 10:49:46 AM
While it would be nice to see an interchange with 42 and the Turnpike built, I thought one of the chief problems was the wetlands located where the ramps would need to be built? Plus, the Turnpike hasn't used AET yet (at least not to my knowledge), so I doubt they would start now.
I think it's just a multitude of issues in that area: Environment, funding, who wants to take on the lead role, the fight between roads vs mass transit, the confluence of 3 high-use interchanges in the area (295, 55, Creek Rd), closeness with Interchange 3, etc. 

As far as AET goes, they will be switching to it some day. They've been appeasing the unions for now, but more and more traffic is using EZ Pass.  It's probably at least 5 years down the road at this point, but then again, they aren't going to get a new interchange built within 5 years either.  Even the new Interchange 8 was built for AET, even though it has traditional booths.  The outside booths and dividers were designed to be easily removed.  And the original design of the new Interchange 1 didn't have any express lanes whatsoever!  The inner 3 toll lanes were redesigned to be 2 express lanes.

I think as more of the longtime toll employees retire and the Turnpike hires more temps and part timers, you're going to see less of an impact from the union to keep their members employed as toll workers.   As more toll authorities go AET, this will impact this decision as well.  It's a slow process in the Northeast due to the historic nature of tolls and toll paying here.  In Texas where they never had toll booths, they can move right in to AET without much of a fight.

QuoteThen of course you have the issue of exit numbering, and since the Turnpike Authority signs include the exit number on the main signs themselves, you would have to greenout each of them (or label it 2X, like I proposed before with a rather shitty rendition of what it could look like).

That would be a very minor problem.  By then, the Turnpike may even be mileage based.

For the interchange with 295, I thought the FHWA didn't like partial interchanges anymore. Though maybe you could reconfigure Exit 40 on I-295 in a way that provides access to and from the Turnpike - of course that is probably unlikely because there is a shopping mall right next to this interchange.

They don't like partial exits.  This, on the other hand, wouldn't be much of an exit per say, but rather utilizing both roads in a coherent manner, versus the traditional method NJ used of acting like the two roads were on different planets and should never communicate with each other.

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on October 31, 2014, 11:53:17 AM

There has been numerous discussions in the past about something like this, or connecting the Turnpike with the Expressway.  All of which would be a southern bypass-type route.  It never gets very far.

PHLBOS

Quote from: mrsman on October 31, 2014, 12:16:21 PMA control cities discussion:

For NJTP north, New York should be the control city all the way to the GWB.  Other cities can be added in as secondary cities.  E.g. Camden/New York or Trenton/New York or even Newark/New York.
Given that many of the Turnpike's northern connections link directly to Manhattan; I would not use New York as a northbound destination beyond Exit 13.

I would use the following 2-destination combos:

Camden/New York between the Delaware Memorial Bridge and the I-295/NJ Turnpike split.

Newark/New York between the I-295 split to Exit 12.

Fort Lee/(The) Bronx* from Exit 13 to the GWB (if G.W. Bridge is no longer allowed to be used as a destination).

For single-destination listings:

New York up through Exit 13.

Either G.W. Bridge (if allowed) or (The) Bronx* from Exit 14 to the GWB.

*New Haven, CT if (The) Bronx is not allowed to be used as a control destination.

Quote from: mrsman on October 31, 2014, 12:16:21 PMFor NJTP south, Trenton/Philadelphia should be the control city all the way to I-195.  Then, the control city should be Philadelphia / Baltimore to the PA Turnpike Ext.  South of that point, the control city should be Del Mem Bridge / Baltimore.

I would use the following 2-destination combos:

Newark/Philadelphia** from the I-80 split to Exit 16E & 16W.

Trenton/Philadelphia** from Exits 15E & 15W to Exit 8.

Camden/Philadelphia** from Exit 7A to Exit 7.

**Wilmington can be used en lieu of Philadlephia for the above.

Camden/Wilmington from Exit 6 to Exit 4.

(Delaware Memorial Bridge, if allowed)/Wilmington from Exit 3 to the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

For single-destination listings:

Newark from the GWB to Exits 16E & 16W.

Trenton from Exits 15E & 15W to Exit 8.

Camden from Exits 7A to Exit 4.

Wilmington from Exit 3 to the Delaware Memorial Bridge.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

02 Park Ave

I always thought that the BGS at the beginning of the I-80, where the Turnpike exits the Bergen-Passaic Expressway, should symbolically have San Francisco as the destination.  This would give motorists a greater appreciation of the Interstate highway system.

Sent from the eastern sector of Cherry Hill.
C-o-H

storm2k

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on October 31, 2014, 02:22:10 PM
I always thought that the BGS at the beginning of the I-80, where the Turnpike exits the Bergen-Passaic Expressway, should symbolically have San Francisco as the destination.  This would give motorists a greater appreciation of the Interstate highway system.

I think a ground mounted sign with the milage to SF would be more appropriate. California actually does that with a number of their highways, it would be nice if NJ would do it as well.

Roadrunner75

Similar to this sign at the beginning of US-50 in Ocean City, MD for Sacramento, which I encountered not that long ago - giving us a greater appreciation for the US Highway system as well...
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=38.331692,-75.086794&spn=0.000008,0.006539&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=38.331728,-75.088035&panoid=rab9ie8UYSN0HRMWDDqgkA&cbp=12,270.17,,0,2.14

Zeffy

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on November 01, 2014, 07:15:32 PM
Similar to this sign at the beginning of US-50 in Ocean City, MD for Sacramento, which I encountered not that long ago - giving us a greater appreciation for the US Highway system as well...
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=38.331692,-75.086794&spn=0.000008,0.006539&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=38.331728,-75.088035&panoid=rab9ie8UYSN0HRMWDDqgkA&cbp=12,270.17,,0,2.14

And Sacramento did the same for Ocean City, MD as seen here at the western terminus.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Flyer78

Quote from: storm2k on November 01, 2014, 12:18:16 AM

I think a ground mounted sign with the milage to SF would be more appropriate. California actually does that with a number of their highways, it would be nice if NJ would do it as well.

I always thought signs like these would make a better "Eisenhower Interstate System" 'billboard.'  Even if not at the start of the route, giving some "interesting" via points could certainly start a conversation. In the money-is-no-object, all-other-highway-needs-met version, travel times could also be amusing.

Zeffy

Zeffy

Plans have been posted on the NJTA website describing a set of improvements to Exit 14A on the Turnpike.

The new improvements include a new 14-lane toll plaza to replace the existing 11-lane facility, replacement of an existing connector bridge with a 5-lane span to NJ 440, 185 and Port Jersey Boulevard, and construction of a new flyover ramp from the interchange to NJ 440 South and Port Jersey Boulevard.

It will cost $300 million, and the contract is expected to be filled in late 2014, with construction ending sometime in 2018.

NE2

Quote from: Zeffy on November 04, 2014, 04:27:07 PM
Plans have been posted on the NJTA website describing a set of improvements to Exit 14A on the Turnpike.
Holy clusterfuck. One thing that disappears: local access between 53rd Street and Port Jersey. Eastbound this is replaced by Centre Street, but there's nothing westbound without going up 440 to Avenue C.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Steve D

Quote from: NE2 on November 04, 2014, 04:37:14 PM
Holy clusterfuck. One thing that disappears: local access between 53rd Street and Port Jersey. Eastbound this is replaced by Centre Street, but there's nothing westbound without going up 440 to Avenue C.

This information has been posted on their web site for at least a year or two now.  One of the studies included alternatives analysis (approximately 10 or so) which included some cool concepts - one or two even included relocating Exit 14A into Jersey City right next to 14B.  Not sure if this is still out there...

NE2

Quote from: Steve D on November 04, 2014, 04:59:59 PM
One of the studies included alternatives analysis (approximately 10 or so) which included some cool concepts - one or two even included relocating Exit 14A into Jersey City right next to 14B.  Not sure if this is still out there...
http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/documents/EO%20215%20Environmental%20Impact%20Statement,%20November%202011.pdf Appendix D.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Besides the fact that there's low demand for that (and can be filled by the next connection to the south for more popular movements), yeah, those of us who were involved with, reviewed, bid on, etc. the design in earlier phases either saw or proposed some designs that would have fixed that. Not to say that there weren't other issues with those designs, though.

MikeSantNY78

Re: Your new "Signature" of Fla. Gov. "Prick" Scott...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3HvchF49AM

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.