News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-435/Roe reopening

Started by route56, October 29, 2014, 04:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route56

The interchange between I-435 and Roe will soon re-open as a diverging diamond. This will be the Second DDI in Kansas, and the first "retrofitted" DDI. The first DDI, I-35 and Homestead Lane in Johnson County, was a new interchange.

This Thursday, October 30, Kansas' second diverging diamond interchange (DDI) is set to open to all traffic at I-435 and Roe Avenue in Johnson County. The new $9.5 million interchange will fully open to all traffic sometime after evening rush hour tomorrow.

The Roe Avenue Bridge over I-435 was built in 1970, and due to its age, was identified for replacement as part of the Kansas Department of Transportation's T-WORKS program. Roe Avenue carries significant traffic and during peak travel times there were delays for traffic trying to turn left onto I-435. Replacing the bridge allowed for improvements to the traffic capacity of the interchange.

An interchange selection study completed in 2012 determined that a new type of interchange, a diverging diamond interchange (DDI), would manage traffic most efficiently in the future while providing the most cost-effective solution. In late April 2014, construction work began on the new I-435 and Roe Avenue interchange.

The DDI is a unique form of diamond interchange in which the two directions of traffic on Roe Avenue will cross to the opposite side of the road at each ramp intersection. This type of interchange allows for a two-phase traffic signal operation at the ramp intersections and significantly improves safety since left turn movements do not conflict with opposing through movements.

In late October 2013, KDOT opened its first diverging diamond interchange at I-35 and Homestead Lane in southern Johnson County. The I-435 and Roe Avenue DDI is very similar in design to the existing I-35 and Homestead Lane DDI located in southern Johnson County. If drivers are familiar with the I-35 and Homestead Lane interchange, then they will easily navigate through the new I-435 and Roe Avenue interchange as the interchanges are almost mirror images of each other.

Click on the following link to view a video simulation on how drivers will navigate through the new DDI: http://i35swjohnsoncointerchange.ksdot.org/DDI.aspx  (Note that this video depicts travel through the I-35 and Homestead Lane DDI which is comparable for drivers as they navigate through the new I-435 and Roe Avenue DDI.)

Though the interchange will open to all traffic this week, the contractor still has finishing work to complete on the project. There may be varying daily lane closures during the next few weeks as all final work is completed. The overall project is scheduled to be completed by late November 2014, weather permitting.

For more information on the I-435 and Roe Avenue diverging diamond interchange project click on this link: http://www.ksdot.org/Assets/wwwksdotorg/bureaus/kcMetro/pdf/I-435%20&%20Roe%20Avenue%20Diverging%20Diamond%20Interchange%20Public%20Open%20House%20Handout%20-%20March%202014.pdf

Clarkson Construction Company (Kansas City, MO) is the primary contractor on this $9.5 million T-WORKS project. Find out more about this and other T-WORKS projects at: http://kdotapp.ksdot.org/TWorks/. (KDOT Project #435-46 KA-2100-01)
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

route56

UPDATE: the 435/Roe reopening is now scheduled for 7 PM tonight.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Darkchylde

I was wondering why they tore out the Roe overpass over 435.

I'll have to go check it out and try to get pictures next time I'm on that side of State Line.

mvak36

I went through there yesterday (didn't take any pictures though). It is a really nice interchange.  :clap:
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Bobby5280

Diverging Diamond Interchanges are very strange. I encountered one several days ago in Joplin, MO at the intersection of I-44 and S. Range Line Road (Bus. I-49). I guess I can understand how a DDI might improve traffic efficiency, but it's still pretty weird to suddenly be driving on the wrong side of the road when you're passing under the Interstate especially if you're not anticipating driving into that kind of odd ball interchange.
:wow:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.