News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I have now traveled every highway in Iowa

Started by Highway63, June 11, 2015, 03:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highway63

Covered my last segments, IA 92 rerouted on the Muscatine bypass and IA 1 north of Mount Vernon, on Monday. Time span started on March 20, 2003 (spring break trip to get soon-to-die spurs). I would say I've driven 95-98% of that myself.

Scott5114

I'm working on something similar for Oklahoma. Did you count bannered routes?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Pete from Boston

So what can you tell us that only someone who has seen all of Iowa's highways could learn?

corco

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 11, 2015, 03:26:59 PM

In my own state-clinching, I always count bannered routes. They're highways too, and often are some of the most interesting.

An exception could be made for non-state maintained banner routes, like many of the business loops in Washington, but that's no fun.

oscar

I have traveled every state highway, and numbered county highway, in Hawaii except for a short new segment of unsigned HI 3000 (Lahaina Bypass) that opened after I was last there. More bypass segments are planned, so that will be a moving target for awhile, but it doesn't hurt that it's on my favorite island Maui.

I've also traveled every numbered highway (which excludes unnumbered winter roads) in the Northwest Territories highway system. This too is a moving target, with construction underway to extend NT 8 north to the Arctic coast.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

leroys73

You guys impress me.  That is a challenge.

I may have driven every paved highways on Oahu back in the mid 70s while visiting my sister and brother in law.  Covered most on the Big Island then but sure i missed some.  Back then there were not many on Kauai so may have done all of them. 
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

iowahighways

FWIW, I accomplished the same feat May 25, 2014, when I clinched my last segment of IA 9 near Spirit Lake. My effort, though, took at least 18 years and five cars to accomplish.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

Bickendan

I'm working on Oregon. It's a lot of ground to cover.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Jeff Morrison on June 11, 2015, 03:26:02 PM
Covered my last segments, IA 92 rerouted on the Muscatine bypass and IA 1 north of Mount Vernon, on Monday. Time span started on March 20, 2003 (spring break trip to get soon-to-die spurs). I would say I've driven 95-98% of that myself.

Congratulations on the accomplishment!

I have finished Delaware (could be done in 3 days if you really wanted to) and much more spread out Virginia (as of 2010...a couple new segments exist I haven't been to) which technically took 24 years although I was only consciously trying to do so over the last 10.

I am closing in on another spread out state, North Carolina...

Mike

corco

QuoteI have finished Delaware (could be done in 3 days if you really wanted to)

I did this two weeks ago...not sure if I recommend it

pianocello

Quote from: Jeff Morrison on June 11, 2015, 03:26:02 PM
Covered my last segments, IA 92 rerouted on the Muscatine bypass

Did you make yourself go back to that segment since 92 was moved, even though you had (presumably) already driven that part of the bypass?
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Highway63

Quote from: pianocello on June 12, 2015, 12:39:54 PM
Did you make yourself go back to that segment since 92 was moved, even though you had (presumably) already driven that part of the bypass?
Yes, that's exactly why I did it.

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 11, 2015, 03:26:59 PM
I did, with one partial exception. Business 61 in Fort Madison was turned over to the city about a year after the bypass opened (and IA 2 was truncated). I traveled it when it was real 61. Because the road was decommissioned, I felt justified not counting that for the time being. I traveled about the middle third of it June 1 (on the trip to clinch the bypass), and plan to do the rest later this year when I plan to do a "circumnavigation" of Iowa.

bjrush

So any words of wisdom? Anything gleaned from the Iowa countryside?

How much of this was completed with snow on the ground?
Woo Pig Sooie

SD Mapman

Nice! I applaud your intestinal fortitude.

I'm trying to do that for SD, but I don't expect to be finished anytime soon.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.