News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

Quote from: Thing 342 on September 09, 2015, 12:13:46 AM
Daily Press - I-64 Widening to Begin this Month http://www.dailypress.com/news/newport-news/dp-nws-nn-64-widening-20150908-story.html

So after 14+ years of living in Hampton Roads, they finally start work on this project less than a month after I move out. Excellent.
Simply Virginia people™.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

1995hoo

The Virginia E-ZPass website is out of order today for maintenance. Does anyone recall what it means if you get a blue light at a toll plaza? Last night on the way out to L'Auberge Chez Francois when I was exiting the Dulles Toll Road at Hunter Mill Road, I got a blue light followed by a green light. I made a point of taking the same route home and the same thing happened at the onramp tollbooth, but notably it did NOT happen at the main toll plaza near Tysons (the light there was a straight green on the way home, and on the way out I can't say as I noticed, but I think I would have noticed the blue light).

I know our E-ZPass account should have a sufficient balance because it just auto-replenished about three weeks ago, so could the blue light be a way of telling me the battery is starting to go? I'm pretty sure the transponder in that car is close to 10 years old and I'm surprised the battery has lasted this long.

(I could just look it up tomorrow when the E-ZPass website is back up, but my Internet access on weekdays is rather restricted right now, so I figured if someone here knew the answer it might make things easier.)

Thanks in advance!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 13, 2015, 09:39:11 AM
The Virginia E-ZPass website is out of order today for maintenance. Does anyone recall what it means if you get a blue light at a toll plaza? Last night on the way out to L'Auberge Chez Francois when I was exiting the Dulles Toll Road at Hunter Mill Road, I got a blue light followed by a green light. I made a point of taking the same route home and the same thing happened at the onramp tollbooth, but notably it did NOT happen at the main toll plaza near Tysons (the light there was a straight green on the way home, and on the way out I can't say as I noticed, but I think I would have noticed the blue light).

I know our E-ZPass account should have a sufficient balance because it just auto-replenished about three weeks ago, so could the blue light be a way of telling me the battery is starting to go? I'm pretty sure the transponder in that car is close to 10 years old and I'm surprised the battery has lasted this long.

(I could just look it up tomorrow when the E-ZPass website is back up, but my Internet access on weekdays is rather restricted right now, so I figured if someone here knew the answer it might make things easier.)

Thanks in advance!

I pulled a cached version of the Virginia EZPass site and it said this,

"A red, blue or white light indicates an unpaid toll. Stop and pay the full toll if you are in a cash lane. This signals that your account is either out of funds or there may be something wrong with your E-ZPass transponder or the way it is mounted. Contact the Customer Service Center for assistance."

It wasn't helpful beyond that though. I do know that a red usually indicates not paid at all and yellow usually means paid but your balance is low but I can't say that I've ever seen a blue light in my life.

https://pocahontas895.com/using_pocahontas_895/make_a_payment.html

This site seems to indicate a blue light means that it's not picking up your EZPass so it may be a battery issue.

1995hoo

Thanks for that. I guess I'll call them tomorrow. The notice about the website being down does give their phone number, so I'll put it in my mobile phone contacts and call them at lunchtime or before I leave for work in the morning.

Zzonkmiles

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 11, 2015, 08:37:54 PM
Quote from: Thing 342 on September 09, 2015, 12:13:46 AM
Daily Press - I-64 Widening to Begin this Month http://www.dailypress.com/news/newport-news/dp-nws-nn-64-widening-20150908-story.html

So after 14+ years of living in Hampton Roads, they finally start work on this project less than a month after I move out. Excellent.
Simply Virginia people™.

At first I read that news headline as I-66 widening project and then saw it was for I-64 and became thoroughly disappointed. But hey, the Hampton Roads area is super congested and needs all the help it can get too.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 13, 2015, 09:55:14 AM
Thanks for that. I guess I'll call them tomorrow. The notice about the website being down does give their phone number, so I'll put it in my mobile phone contacts and call them at lunchtime or before I leave for work in the morning.

Following up, the Virginia E-ZPass site is back online. I confirmed I don't have a low balance (though when yesterday's four trips on the HO/T lanes post this week, it'll trigger an auto-replenishment). Their site says a blue light can mean low balance, a problem with your transponder, or incorrect mounting. I guess it likely means the battery, so I'll call them tomorrow. "The Nature Boy," thanks again for posting the info. It pretty much matches what ezpassva.com says.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 13, 2015, 11:01:59 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 13, 2015, 09:55:14 AM

Following up, the Virginia E-ZPass site is back online. I confirmed I don't have a low balance (though when yesterday's four trips on the HO/T lanes post this week, it'll trigger an auto-replenishment). Their site says a blue light can mean low balance, a problem with your transponder, or incorrect mounting. I guess it likely means the battery, so I'll call them tomorrow. "The Nature Boy," thanks again for posting the info. It pretty much matches what ezpassva.com says.

The "original" Mark IV transponders (including the ones that were issued by VDOT when they had the stand-along SmarTag brand) seem to die after 5 or 6 years.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Yeah, my Smart Tag is long gone, and I never found out how long my original New Jersey E-ZPass would last because I cancelled it when Virginia joined the consortium. New Jersey charged a monthly fee, Virginia didn't.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 13, 2015, 02:39:21 PM
Yeah, my Smart Tag is long gone, and I never found out how long my original New Jersey E-ZPass would last because I cancelled it when Virginia joined the consortium. New Jersey charged a monthly fee, Virginia didn't.

I started with a SmarTag, and held it until Virginia joined the E-ZPass consortium on orders from then-Gov. Mark Warner (at the time, I had a big argument with someone who claimed that there was no need for the Commonwealth to join E-ZPass because all of its toll roads were "isolated" from the E-ZPass world, and besides if it was a good idea, the previous administration would have done it).

In retrospect, I did not get that much of a better deal with a transponder from MDTA, though with the (modest) discount given to Maryland residents with MDTA transponders (and no more fee for Maryland residents), I suppose I will stay with them.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Called E-ZPass first thing this morning. The guy found no problem on the account. Both tolls posted properly, which of course I already knew from checking the account online, and he thinks there should be no battery issue. He said if it occurs again, call back and ask to swap the device.

So entirely unhelpful. My concern, of course, is that it would malfunction in the express lanes on the Beltway or I-95, because supposedly Transurban does not query the E-ZPass database with your license plate number and instead just sends a bill. I guess I'll monitor the account this week to make sure those tolls post properly since I had four express lane trips on Saturday and two on Friday!

I wonder what else could cause the blue light to come on. I haven't removed the transponder in ages, not even when we were on the Auto Train in December. (Sometimes when I leave the car in someone else's care, like the mechanic or some such, I might remove that sort of device and lock it in the glovebox and give them the "valet key.") So I know it's mounted properly. This is the first time I've ever gotten the blue light and I've had a Smart Tag and or E-ZPass since sometime in 2001.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 14, 2015, 07:29:30 AM
I wonder what else could cause the blue light to come on. I haven't removed the transponder in ages, not even when we were on the Auto Train in December. (Sometimes when I leave the car in someone else's care, like the mechanic or some such, I might remove that sort of device and lock it in the glovebox and give them the "valet key.") So I know it's mounted properly. This is the first time I've ever gotten the blue light and I've had a Smart Tag and or E-ZPass since sometime in 2001.

I have gotten a blue light on the DTR once or maybe twice if drove it on the day that the account was being auto-replenished (it appears on my statement as "MDTA Rebill").

HTM Duke

Washington Post: Virginia to launch I-66 lane management system Wednesday

I was wondering lately if go time for activation was getting close.  My second-to-last trip on I-66, I saw that VDOT had posted explanatory signage for the new system and had removed most of the old X/arrow signals.  Today VDOT was testing the new VMS gantry between US-50 and VA-123.  I'm hoping for some improvement along the corridor, but given that any improvement lies with how drivers adapt to and utilize the new system, said hope is sadly restrained a bit.
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Critics of Dulles Greenway tolls vow to keep fighting, appeal SCC's ruling

QuoteA years-long legal effort to force the Dulles Greenway to lower its tolls could be heading to the Virginia Supreme Court.

QuoteThe Virginia State Corporation Commission announced Sept. 4 that it had ruled in favor of the Dulles Greenway's owners and operators in a complaint that was brought by Del. David I. Ramadan (R-Loudoun) and Loudoun County over the road's steadily rising toll costs.

Quote"We have considered all of the evidence,"  the SCC said in its opinion, adding that the privately owned road's benefits "are sufficient to support a finding that the Company's tolls are reasonable to the user."

QuoteRamadan, one of the toll road's most vocal opponents, said that he was disappointed but not surprised by the outcome.

oscar

The second phase of "spot improvements" on westbound I-66 inside the Beltway, to add an auxiliary lane between the Washington Blvd. on-ramp and VA 267/Dulles Access Road, seems near completion. Still some finishing work requiring lane closures, as well as incomplete overhead sign changes and landscaping. But the basic new traffic pattern is in place, still with two through lanes, but now with two lanes entering the freeway from Washington Blvd., which quickly become a pair of exit-only lanes to VA 267.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Mapmikey

The major upgrade to the Falmouth intersection (US 1, US 17 Bus, VA 218) across the Rappahannock River from Fredericksburg was completed and fully opened Sunday night.

So far traffic is flowing better and there are few lines in the limited sample size I've seen so far.

The signals now operate like a standard 4-way intersection with protected left turns, instead of each leg of the intersection having its own dedicated cycle for all movements.  Also there are double left turn lanes on US 1 NB and VA 218 WB.

Oddly, they installed route signage on US 1 north that says 17 Business and 17 NORTH (i.e. without a TO banner) both turn left and there is no US 1 shield at all (though you can easily see the US 1 reassurance just beyond the intersection).  The BGS approaching this intersection at the north end of the Rappahannock Bridge remains with the correct signage.

Mike

Zzonkmiles

Is there any reason why Virginia state route numbers don't follow the "odd for north/south routes" and "even for east/west routes" numbering convention? It's very distracting to drive on the Fairfax County Parkway and Franconia Parkway and see "Hwy 286 North" and "Hwy 289 East."

hbelkins

Quote from: Zzonkmiles on October 02, 2015, 10:04:48 PM
Is there any reason why Virginia state route numbers don't follow the "odd for north/south routes" and "even for east/west routes" numbering convention? It's very distracting to drive on the Fairfax County Parkway and Franconia Parkway and see "Hwy 286 North" and "Hwy 289 East."

Lots of states don't. For the most part, West Virginia is the opposite -- even numbers are N/S, odd numbers are E/W, but that's not set in stone.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on October 02, 2015, 11:21:22 PM

Lots of states don't. For the most part, West Virginia is the opposite -- even numbers are N/S, odd numbers are E/W, but that's not set in stone.

H.B. is correct. 

There is no mandate that odd-numbered state roads must run north and south, any more than even ones must run east-west.

Consider also that the Commonwealth of Virginia has a massive secondary highway system. It would be difficult and probably very expensive to try and get them to conform to  rule where the odd numbered routes ran N-S and the even ones E-W.

Mapmikey

Virginia's primary system has always had patterns regarding route number assignment up through the 1940s (many of those routes are still around).  New route assignments generally are haphazard in choosing the number.

1918-23 Routes were legislatively defined in terms of connecting county seats, etc. with no regard to direction.

1923-28 routes were generally defined as increasing number chronologically (2 digit) or the next available spur off a 2-digit route (3 and 4 digit).

1928-33 routes were assigned by Congressional district (3 digit), in order of creation by the Highway Commission, and generally in order of county name sorted alphabetically within a district.  New 2 digit routes were assigned sequentially as they came along regardless of orientation.

1933-1940 routes were simple renumberings of the 1928-33 system, often in the same numerical order as the old system.

1940 Virginia changed a pile of numbers to match across state lines.  Up through the 1940s Virginia would then assign sequentially (1st available non-used number) as created regardless of district.

Once the mass decommissioning of state routes was finished by the early 1950s, route assignment has not followed any real patterns.

For what it is worth, Virginia did not post direction banners on its route shields until the mid 1950s.

The secondary route system had a pattern of how route numbers were assigned in 1933.  i have deciphered some but not all of it but it involved sequential numbering along the county lines, starting with the lowest 6xx number not already assigned along a county line somewhere (I haven't yet figured out how they decided which county they started at 600 for).  You can still see this county line sequentially numbering in many, many locations.  Numbering of secondary routes not across a line appears to be in clusters but there could have been a pattern with that as well.  It does appear that the 1933-present system did not seem to correspond in any way with the 1932-33 system that briefly existed and had never been posted in the field. 

Mike

ekt8750

PA is the opposite. Odd East/West, Even North/South (for the most part).

ixnay

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 03, 2015, 01:19:38 AM

H.B. is correct. 

There is no mandate that odd-numbered state roads must run north and south, any more than even ones must run east-west.

I've never lost sleep (or become disoriented) over the state highway numbering conumdrum, Zzonk.  Maybe it's distracting to *you*.

Although I heard my father wonder out loud one time why PA 291 is marked east-west although it's odd-numbered.  I remember telling him, "That's just for the interstates and U.S. routes".

ixnay

Zzonkmiles

Quote from: ixnay on October 04, 2015, 08:21:36 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 03, 2015, 01:19:38 AM

H.B. is correct. 

I've never lost sleep (or become disoriented) over the state highway numbering conumdrum, Zzonk.  Maybe it's distracting to *you*.

Although I heard my father wonder out loud one time why PA 291 is marked east-west although it's odd-numbered.  I remember telling him, "That's just for the interstates and U.S. routes".

ixnay

It's probably because I'm more familiar with US routes and interstates than I am with state highways. So whenever I drive on unfamiliar roads, I look at the road numbers carefully so I can figure out alternate ways of getting places. "Oh, this is an east-west route? I guess this will take me closer to I-95 then." But now that I know this is not the case, I'll have to be more careful on these state roads.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Rothman on August 11, 2015, 05:07:49 PM
Although I've heard of the infamous Hopewell traps,

Speaking of Hopewell, there may have been a highly immoral angle to the I-295 speed trap there.

Richmond.com: Hopewell prosecutor launches probe into extramarital affair between vice mayor and ex-sheriff

QuoteHopewell's top prosecutor is investigating potential conflicts of interest stemming from allegations of an extramarital affair between the city's then-sheriff and the current vice mayor, who has voted on the budget for the Hopewell Sheriff's Office numerous times without disclosing a personal relationship.

QuoteCommonwealth's Attorney Richard K. Newman said his office received a complaint last week about issues arising from a relationship between Councilwoman Christina Luman-Bailey, 49, and Greg Anderson, 66, who served as sheriff from 2005 to 2013.

Quote"At this point, it's an ongoing investigation,"  Newman said Tuesday ahead of a closed session of the Hopewell City Council, during which the potential violation was slated for discussion.

QuoteReached by phone, Luman-Bailey called the allegations politically motivated and denied having a sexual relationship with Anderson, whom she described as a family friend.

Then comes the part that is relevant to our topic here (with emphasis added):

QuoteOn the City Council, Luman-Bailey voted on budget matters alongside Hopewell's current mayor, Brenda Pelham, who in 2011 was indicted on 13 counts of violating the same conflict-of-interest act on votes involving her employer – Hopewell Public Schools – from June 2008 to July 2010. The charges ultimately were dismissed.

QuoteAnderson, a Vietnam War veteran, served 28 years as a juvenile probation officer before his two-term stint as sheriff. His Interstate 295 Safety Program, which he launched in 2007, gained national notoriety as Hopewell's "Million-Dollar-Mile"  and almost made him a reality TV star.

QuoteThe program has netted up to $2 million in revenues every year from speeding tickets. Luman-Bailey has backed the initiative publicly several times.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 28, 2015, 12:33:42 PM
Quote from: Rothman on August 11, 2015, 05:07:49 PM
Although I've heard of the infamous Hopewell traps,

Speaking of Hopewell, there may have been a highly immoral angle to the I-295 speed trap there.

Richmond.com: Hopewell prosecutor launches probe into extramarital affair between vice mayor and ex-sheriff

QuoteHopewell's top prosecutor is investigating potential conflicts of interest stemming from allegations of an extramarital affair between the city's then-sheriff and the current vice mayor, who has voted on the budget for the Hopewell Sheriff's Office numerous times without disclosing a personal relationship.

QuoteCommonwealth's Attorney Richard K. Newman said his office received a complaint last week about issues arising from a relationship between Councilwoman Christina Luman-Bailey, 49, and Greg Anderson, 66, who served as sheriff from 2005 to 2013.

Quote"At this point, it's an ongoing investigation,"  Newman said Tuesday ahead of a closed session of the Hopewell City Council, during which the potential violation was slated for discussion.

QuoteReached by phone, Luman-Bailey called the allegations politically motivated and denied having a sexual relationship with Anderson, whom she described as a family friend.

Then the part that is relevant here (with emphasis added):

QuoteOn the City Council, Luman-Bailey voted on budget matters alongside Hopewell's current mayor, Brenda Pelham, who in 2011 was indicted on 13 counts of violating the same conflict-of-interest act on votes involving her employer – Hopewell Public Schools – from June 2008 to July 2010. The charges ultimately were dismissed.

QuoteAnderson, a Vietnam War veteran, served 28 years as a juvenile probation officer before his two-term stint as sheriff. His Interstate 295 Safety Program, which he launched in 2007, gained national notoriety as Hopewell's "Million-Dollar-Mile"  and almost made him a reality TV star.

QuoteThe program has netted up to $2 million in revenues every year from speeding tickets. Luman-Bailey has backed the initiative publicly several times.

...huh. Interesting, although I don't expect Hopewell City Council to change anything, seeing as they're about as ineffective as a city government can get.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

cpzilliacus

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on October 28, 2015, 01:58:38 PM
...huh. Interesting, although I don't expect Hopewell City Council to change anything, seeing as they're about as ineffective as a city government can get.

Agreed.

But the Virginia General Assembly can step in and forbid local governments from across the Commonwealth from enacting their own traffic ordinances and repealing those on the books which would instantly put the Hopewell speed trap out of business.

My state of Maryland, where our General Assembly is usually happy to delegate powers to the counties and even the municipalities, expressly forbids them from enacting local traffic laws (they can enact parking ordinances if they wish).  As a result, all revenue from "moving" traffic infractions goes to the state, and there is no incentive for places similar to Emporia, Hopewell and Falls Church to engage in abusive traffic law enforcement. 

Unfortunately, Maryland still allows the locals to do automated speed and red light enforcement (but that is not as abusive as the Virginia municipal speed traps).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.