News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I35 South of Des Moines

Started by rte66man, August 20, 2014, 10:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rte66man

Coming home from vacation, I noticed that the reconstruction of I35 south from Des Moines is moving the southbound roadway over 40-50 feet.  Why do that?  Larger median? Why not use a cable barrier.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Revive 755

My theory:  Moving the SB roadway over allows for the new roadway to be built with less disruptions to the existing roadway.

Although it may not be as costly as acquiring ROW, a cable barrier does eventually grow a  decent maintenance cost.

rte66man

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 22, 2014, 05:48:18 PM
My theory:  Moving the SB roadway over allows for the new roadway to be built with less disruptions to the existing roadway.

Although it may not be as costly as acquiring ROW, a cable barrier does eventually grow a  decent maintenance cost.

I thought the same thing.  However, the cost involved.......  New overpasses, ramps, etc, must be huge.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.