News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bickendan

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 08, 2015, 04:31:13 PM
Not a highway, but click anywhere in the North Pacific Ocean (Only works on the new Maps)...
...I can't even come up with a snarky remark about this :/

Big John

Not a highway, but click anywhere in the North Pacific Ocean (Only works on the new Maps)...
And most of the North Atlantic Ocean is listed as Ireland.

formulanone

DeaconG

Quote from: Big John on April 08, 2015, 05:03:25 PM
And most of the North Atlantic Ocean is listed as Ireland.

North Pacific too.

Who knew Ireland was located between Asia and North America as well?

Weird...
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

dfwmapper

Quote from: formulanone on April 08, 2015, 07:44:19 PM
US Route 96 is listed as TX 96...well, throughout its entire pointless existence.
That's fixed now. No idea how that one got fucked up, whatever change was made was hidden.

Big John

IL 75 is incorrectly marked as rte 67 from I-39/90 to Wisconsin state line, becoming WI 67 there.

formulanone

Quote from: dfwmapper on April 10, 2015, 01:20:52 AM
Quote from: formulanone on April 08, 2015, 07:44:19 PM
US Route 96 is listed as TX 96...well, throughout its entire pointless existence.

That's fixed now. No idea how that one got fucked up, whatever change was made was hidden.

Yup, seems correct now - Buna and Center will be happy again.

Zeffy

Should RI 146 be marked as a freeway north of the RI 99 interchange? It looks like it's more of an expressway, especially as how there are RIROs and traffic signals.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Eth

A1A, in its entirety, is currently showing up as FL 2.

dfwmapper

It actually has 6 names on the route that used to be Florida A1A: Nathan Lester Highway 1, Nathan Lester Highway 2, Nathan Lester Highway 3, Nathan Lester Highway 4, Nathan Lester Highway 5, and Nathan Lester Highway 6. I don't even know how that happens. Google recently changed the way their chimps make edits, so there's no way to even know which stupid motherfucker made that change.

Highway63

Serious "WTF" with the Avenue of the Saints going on:

In Missouri, northbound (but not southbound) of US 61 between I-64 and MO 27 is marked as freeway (orange) instead of expressway.

The entirety of the four-lane Avenue of the Saints (US 218 then US 18) between IA 57/58 and US 65 is marked as freeway but only certain bypasses are freeway segments. The rest has at-grade intersections.

In Mount Pleasant, northbound US 218 between exits 42 and 45 is marked as freeway but nothing else.

-IA 27/58 is marked as freeway through Cedar Falls. There are stoplights at Greenhill Road and south (so the "Freeway" only applies to University Avenue to US 218, or starting at Greenhill Road itself northward)
-US 218 is marked as freeway between San Marnan Drive and downtown Waterloo. It is not.

dfwmapper

None of those are marked as freeway, they're all expressway. Both freeway and expressway render in the same orange color on Maps. When they were approved as expressways, the reviewers who approved them were lazy and didn't make the change for the opposite direction. Maybe they'll get fixed someday.

Highway63

Really? Huh. It was my experience/thinking that only fully controlled access roads got the orange, and expressways stayed yellow. (And now I'm looking and the same thing has happened to US 151 in Wisconsin.)

It just looks and feels wrong to me to treat freeways and expressways the same, I guess.

cl94

Quote from: Jeff Morrison on May 04, 2015, 07:38:24 PM
Really? Huh. It was my experience/thinking that only fully controlled access roads got the orange, and expressways stayed yellow. (And now I'm looking and the same thing has happened to US 151 in Wisconsin.)

It just looks and feels wrong to me to treat freeways and expressways the same, I guess.

OpenStreetMap gives them different colors, although green also applies to very important 2-lane roads that effectively work as Interstates (such as US 11 north of I-781).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

dfwmapper

Originally, expressways were orange. Then, they made them the same yellow as regional/national highways. Now they're back to orange. There are a lot of dumb things about the way Maps currently renders. Arteries being in white when they used to be pale yellow and easy to distinguish from white local/terminal roads. Using the California spec US shield when the rest of the country doesn't. Expressways not getting their own color. Ramps sometimes rendering in pale orange and sometimes in white.

mrsman

If I were designing Google maps, I would have white and yellow for all at-grade roads.  Freeways would be red.  Freeways that are toll would be green.

What they do now simply doesn't work.  Yellow and orange are too close.  And I can barely tell when a road is toll, what is it darker black outlines along the road?

hotdogPi

Quote from: mrsman on May 05, 2015, 02:45:38 PM
If I were designing Google maps, I would have white and yellow for all at-grade roads.  Freeways would be red.  Freeways that are toll would be green.

What they do now simply doesn't work.  Yellow and orange are too close.  And I can barely tell when a road is toll, what is it darker black outlines along the road?

"Expressways" have switched back and forth between freeway color and primary road color at least 3 times. One example is MA 2 between exits 14 [middle of nowhere] and 40 [I-495] (this segment is a full freeway except for exits 27-32). Other examples include undivided surface roads outside of the United States.

Toll roads have darker black outlines once you zoom in enough. For me, the scale must read "2000ft/500m" or less, but the scale changes depending on latitude.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Bickendan

Thomas Bros had it the best.

My personal variation is to make at-grade highways green and arteries purple. For online maps, color-blind friendly options could be toggled with a button.

jakeroot

If I were designing Google maps, I would have white and yellow for all at-grade roads.  Freeways would be red.  Freeways that are toll would be green....What they do now simply doesn't work. Yellow and orange are too close.

Cartography is an art. You can't just throw down contrasting colors and call it good. I get your point (any sane person would) but there's more to it than just red/blue/green/yellow.

Right now, Google is doing quite a good job, IMO. They should make better use of the yellow color (I believe there are more arterial roads than what are presently shown) but they are on the right track. The only other color variation that I like is the UK's colors, which are blue freeways, green arterial roads, and orange secondary roads (and white tertiary roads).

As for toll roads, I don't think mapping them is too important, beyond text along the roadway (e.g. "M6 TOLL"). Then again, that's just my opinion.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jakeroot on May 05, 2015, 04:18:13 PM
If I were designing Google maps, I would have white and yellow for all at-grade roads.  Freeways would be red.  Freeways that are toll would be green....What they do now simply doesn't work. Yellow and orange are too close.

Cartography is an art. You can't just throw down contrasting colors and call it good. I get your point (any sane person would) but there's more to it than just red/blue/green/yellow.

Right now, Google is doing quite a good job, IMO. They should make better use of the yellow color (I believe there are more arterial roads than what are presently shown) but they are on the right track. The only other color variation that I like is the UK's colors, which are blue freeways, green arterial roads, and orange secondary roads (and white tertiary roads).

As for toll roads, I don't think mapping them is too important, beyond text along the roadway (e.g. "M6 TOLL"). Then again, that's just my opinion.

Google Mapmaker has yellow (normal Google Maps has orange, but not yellow) on many roads. In the United States, the current orange roads are generally reserved for expressways and US routes in some states (Massachusetts), and used on more roads in others (New York).

google.com/mapmaker

(Note: Google Mapmaker is closer to Classic than it is to the new version, so you will be fine.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

vdeane

Sounds like MapWorks... they use red for freeways, green for toll freeways, pink for state/US routes, yellow/orange for country routes and other arterials, and white for local roads.  IMO they're the king of cartography.

Example: http://www.mapworksinc.com/product-p/796.htm
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

In general, online mapping services don't show what is/isn't a toll road. Mapquest is one of the very few that does. IMO, they give the most accurate directions and travel times, but that's another thing. Bing uses blue-green for toll roads, but nobody uses them (and I don't like how they treat surface roads as a single color with only a few exceptions).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

empirestate

Quote from: vdeane on May 05, 2015, 09:18:19 PM
Sounds like MapWorks... they use red for freeways, green for toll freeways, pink for state/US routes, yellow/orange for country routes and other arterials, and white for local roads.  IMO they're the king of cartography.

Example: http://www.mapworksinc.com/product-p/796.htm

They've always been good, and I had a full range of their pre-digital offerings. Not the all-time best cartography firm out of Rochester–remember ActionMaps?–but certainly the top of the current game. They always managed to beat out Jimapco for visual style.

SignGeek101

I don't know how long this has been the case, but ON 407 should have a circle shield, and has a standard provincial highway shield. A nitpick, but incorrect nonetheless.

http://goo.gl/maps/8vC8s

dfwmapper

Google doesn't attempt to match the design of state/provincial highway shields, other than some provinces getting white pentagons, some getting blue, and some random green ones in Quebec. As a primary highway, the pentagon is correct for 407, even if it doesn't happen to be operated by the province.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.