News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-69 in KY

Started by Grzrd, September 20, 2010, 12:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: hbelkins on October 27, 2011, 11:06:03 PM
If I hear anything, I will let you know. Someone posted a question about exit numbers on one of the KYTC district FB pages in that area, but I don't know if it got answered or not.

Thanks HB.  Really appreciate it.  For now, I'll just use the current WKY Parkway exit numbers for the new I-69 segment and update the file when they do change the numbers.  Same with the WKY Parkway itself.

Quote from: hbelkins on October 27, 2011, 11:06:03 PM
Exit numbers on the Natcher are changing as a result of that route's extension from I-65 to US 231. They are increasing by two. So Exit 1 becomes Exit 3, Exit 40 (hypothetical) becomes Exit 42.

You know,  I would have just gave the new SPUI @ KY-622 "Exit #0" since no exit number is needed for the intersection with US-231.  Then the highway wouldn't have had to have new numbers unless they are updating the mile markers as well.  If the mile markers are updated, might as well update the exit numbers to match.

hbelkins

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 27, 2011, 11:20:59 PM

You know,  I would have just gave the new SPUI @ KY-622 "Exit #0" since no exit number is needed for the intersection with US-231.  Then the highway wouldn't have had to have new numbers unless they are updating the mile markers as well.  If the mile markers are updated, might as well update the exit numbers to match.

They are changing the mile markers.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alex

I posted a photo we took yesterday of the first Interstate 69 southbound shield on the AARoads at Facebook page last night.

codyg1985

I drove the future I-69 stretches in KY yesterday. The only signage for I-69 in the field that I saw was along the Western Kentucky Pkwy, and those were just reassurance shields. None of the BGS's have been updated yet, but I assume this will happen soon. No shields have been installed along the Pennyrile Pkwy north of the Western KY Pkwy, nor were there any I-69 shields along its concurrence with I-24.

I noticed two areas that may need upgrading along the KY parkway system to incorporate it into I-69 besides the median width.

First is the interchange of the Purchase Pkwy with US 45 in Mayfield, KY: http://g.co/maps/3et9g
Currently to stay on the Purchase Pkwy both NB and SB requires a one-lane through movement.  This wasn't among the segments officially designated as I-69, but I suspect this interchange will need to be revised at some point.

The second is the short distance between Exits 44 and 45 in Madisonville along the Pennyrile Pkwy for KY 281 and US 41 north, respectively: http://g.co/maps/bd8sk
Even though it is a weaving section both NB and SB, the space is really tight there.

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 28, 2011, 07:48:51 AM
I drove the future I-69 stretches in KY yesterday. The only signage for I-69 in the field that I saw was along the Western Kentucky Pkwy, and those were just reassurance shields. None of the BGS's have been updated yet, but I assume this will happen soon. No shields have been installed along the Pennyrile Pkwy north of the Western KY Pkwy, nor were there any I-69 shields along its concurrence with I-24.

The Pennyrile hasn't gotten the designation yet, just the WK.

Grzrd

I took a look at the 2012 Recommended Highway Plan to see what's projected for I-69 from FY 2012 to FY 2018.

New Terrain: A baby step - 2012 Project Review to locate the I-69 alignment around Henderson from the Pennyrile Parkway to the Ohio River Crossing (page 54/136 of pdf; page 54 of document).  Nothing else scheduled through 2018.

Interchange Improvements: Pennyrile/KY 416 (2012-2013); Pennyrile/KY 56 (2014-15); I-69/W. Ky. Pkwy/Pennyrile Pkwy (2012); Pennyrile/Morton's Gap (2013-14); I-69/W Ky Pkwy/KY 109 (2012-13); Purchase Pkwy/Mayfield Bypass (2013-18); I-24/Purchase Pkwy (2013-17); Purchase Pkwy/KY 348 (2012-13).

Corridor Upgrade to Interstate Grade: 36.4 miles of Pennyrile between milepoints 37.0 and 73.4 (2014); Purchase Pkwy from MP 25 to MP 52 (2014-15).

EDIT

This article has a brief discussion of the I-69 projects:

Following through on the agreement that brought an I-69 designation to western Kentucky, the governor's plan allocates $146.6 million through 2018 for improvements in the corridor — mainly reconstruction of seven state parkway interchanges to bring them up to interstate highway standards. The interchanges are in Henderson, Webster, Hopkins, Marshall and Graves counties ...

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on January 19, 2012, 08:31:03 PM
I took a look at the 2012 Recommended Highway Plan to see what's projected for I-69 from FY 2012 to FY 2018 ...
Interchange Improvements ... Purchase Pkwy/Mayfield Bypass (2013-18) ...

This article indicates that there is current construction on the interchange at the Mayfield Bypass with KY 80:

KYTC Second District Engineer Kevin McClearn of the Department of Highways District One and Two offices in Paducah said state transportation officials are pressing the importance of the [I-69] project to the General Assembly and hope to have portions included in an approved six-year road plan .... "I-69 is important to this administration and our (KYTC) Commissioner Mike Hancock,"  McClearn said .... An interchange is now under construction in Mayfield at the Mayfield bypass of Ky. 80.

Also, as previously posted on the "I-69 in TN" thread, the article indicates that KYTC and TDOT officials will meet soon to discuss the KY/TN state line connection:

KYTC Second District Engineer Kevin McClearn of the Department of Highways District One and Two offices in Paducah ...  said the highway [I-69] will improve transportation, promote economic development and reduce congestion of highways ...  Some difficulty is expected at the Tennessee line where officials hope to connect with a major interchange near Fulton.
Burgeoning housing development in the area could cause complications ....
McClearn said both KTC and Tennessee Department of Transportation officials will likely meet soon to discuss details of how the roadway will connect with ongoing projects in the Volunteer State ...

codyg1985

Quote from: Grzrd on January 31, 2012, 09:46:14 AM
Quote from: Grzrd on January 19, 2012, 08:31:03 PM
I took a look at the 2012 Recommended Highway Plan to see what's projected for I-69 from FY 2012 to FY 2018 ...
Interchange Improvements ... Purchase Pkwy/Mayfield Bypass (2013-18) with KY 80 ...

This article indicates that there is current construction on the interchange at the Mayfield Bypass with KY 80:

KYTC Second District Engineer Kevin McClearn of the Department of Highways District One and Two offices in Paducah said state transportation officials are pressing the importance of the [I-69] project to the General Assembly and hope to have portions included in an approved six-year road plan .... "I-69 is important to this administration and our (KYTC) Commissioner Mike Hancock,"  McClearn said .... An interchange is now under construction in Mayfield at the Mayfield bypass of Ky. 80.

Also, as previously posted on the "I-69 in TN" thread, the article indicates that KYTC and TDOT officials will soon meet to discuss the KY/TN state line connection:

KYTC Second District Engineer Kevin McClearn of the Department of Highways District One and Two offices in Paducah ...  said the highway [I-69] will improve transportation, promote economic development and reduce congestion of highways ...  Some difficulty is expected at the Tennessee line where officials hope to connect with a major interchange near Fulton.
Burgeoning housing development in the area could cause complications ....
McClearn said both KTC and Tennessee Department of Transportation officials will likely meet soon to discuss details of how the roadway will connect with ongoing projects in the Volunteer State ...

I assume this is for a new alignment of KY 80 to bypass Mayfield and not the current KY 80 interchange
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Grzrd

Quote from: codyg1985 on January 31, 2012, 09:49:10 AM
I assume this is for a new alignment of KY 80 to bypass Mayfield and not the current KY 80 interchange
It looks like the current project and the project referenced on page 45/136 of the Project Listing page of the 2012 Recommended Highway Plan are two separate projects and I mistakenly assumed they were one and the same (I corrected my above two most recent posts to delete "with KY 80" in regard to the recommended project).  :banghead:  The project referenced in the Plan is to :

RECONSTRUCT JULIAN CARROLL PKWY INTERSECTION W/THE MAYFIELD BYPASS TO PROVIDE SUPERIOR THROUGH MOVEMENT TO THE PARKWAY. (I-69 CORRIDOR IMPROVEMENT) [milepoints 20.9 to 21.9]

Exit numbers 21 and 21A can be seen in the Google Maps view of the interchange referenced in the Plan.  I assumed that the current construction project regarding KY 80 was for an upgrade of the current Purchase/KY 80 interchange, but I do not know for sure.

seicer

Correct. I was down in Mayfield over the weekend. The four-lane KY 80 right now ends at KY 464, the east/north bypass of Mayfield, with construction continuing on the south bypass which will be KY 80. This will tie into a hopefully reconstructed US 45 tie-in with the Purchase Parkway and Business US 45, which is a mess.

The US 45 bypass of Mayfield was completed in 1961 from US 45 south of the city to US 45 north of the city. The rest of the Purchase Parkway was generally completed in 1967-68. The Mayfield bypass is terrible, with a curbed median and zero acceleration/deceleration lanes. The other segments of the parkway are about 600', which is not up to interstate standard.

hbelkins

I thought that bypass was KY 121. Last time I was in Mayfield, KY 80 pretty much ended at the KY 121/KY 97/Business KY 121 intersection, then "To KY 80" was signed on KY 58 inside the bypass to downtown, where 58 joined 45 and 80 ran westward.

Grzrd

Quote from: hbelkins on February 17, 2012, 10:07:19 AM
To combine the US 641 and I-69 subjects, I have never disagreed with the decision to route I-69 in Kentucky along the WK and Pennyrile parkways. The most direct route from Paducah to Henderson is US 60, not I-24 and the parkways. There have been a few upgrades to US 60 in the western part of the state, and completion of this improved US 641 would probably mean the shortest way to get to Evansville/Henderson from Paducah would be to take this new US 641 up to US 60 and then US 60 northeast. I haven't run a mileage comparison, but I'd think the all-parkway routing would be significantly longer.
It reminds me of the "new terrain vs. US 41/I-70" debate in Indiana.
(above quote from "US 641" thread on Ohio Valley page)
Interstate 69 will follow the Purchase Parkway until its end at Interstate 24. Between 1991 and 1999, it appeared as if Interstate 69 would be constructed on a new alignment from the parkway terminus northeast to Henderson, Kentucky. However, in May 1999, the state of Kentucky announced that Interstate 69 would follow the existing Wendell Ford/Western Kentucky Parkway and Breathitt/Pennyrile Parkway (Segment 5, from Eddyville to Nortonville, and Nortonville to Henderson).
(above quote from Interstate-Guide's Interstate 69 page)
Quote from: Grzrd on January 27, 2012, 07:32:45 PM
In case you missed the live streaming last night and want some weekend viewing, the I-69: Are We There Yet? documentary may be seen here.  The documentary itself is about one hour and Q & A with the panelists afterwards is about thirty minutes.
(above quote from "Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana" thread on Ohio Valley page)

HB,  I really like your comparison to the situation in Indiana.  Did CARR and the Tokarskis try to influence Kentucky's decision to go with the parkways, or have they restricted their efforts to Indiana?  From what I can tell, Kentucky did not have anything similar to the "Washington, Indiana to Washington, D.C. Connection" to push for new terrain construction, and it seems like Kentucky was able to go with the economically sensible parkway solution.

Also, did studies for the new terrain construction ever advance to the point where maps for alternative routes might have been developed?  If so, do you know if they are accessible on the internet?

hbelkins

Actually, that was a typo. I need to go back and fix it. I have never AGREED with the decision to route I-69 along the parkways. I supported a new terrain route from Paducah to Henderson, paralleling US 60.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on February 18, 2012, 10:52:03 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 17, 2012, 10:07:19 AM
The most direct route from Paducah to Henderson is US 60, not I-24 and the parkways. There have been a few upgrades to US 60 in the western part of the state, and completion of this improved US 641 would probably mean the shortest way to get to Evansville/Henderson from Paducah would be to take this new US 641 up to US 60 and then US 60 northeast.
(above quote from "US 641" thread on Ohio Valley page)
Quote from: hbelkins on February 18, 2012, 05:37:22 PM
I supported a new terrain route from Paducah to Henderson, paralleling US 60.

The article about the US 641 upgrade indicates that a lot of Hendersonians already use the two-lane version of US 60 and US 641 to get from Henderson to Eddyville and Lake Barkley:

Taking the Pennyrile and Western Kentucky parkways from Henderson to Eddyville covers approximately 84 miles; some Hendersonians take a more direct two-lane route using U.S. 60 and U.S. 641 that shaves about 13 miles off the trip.

I suppose even more people will shun the parkways/I-69 route when the US 641 four-laning is completed.  It is an interesting contrast to Indiana's decision to go with the more direct new terrain routing.

EDIT

If I read this article correctly, the four-laning of US 641 will be a new terrain project:

The governor did not visit the primary site of construction in Crayne, but instead made his remarks christening the four-lane road after touching down in a state helicopter and traveling to the Ed-Tech Center in Marion. The center is about a mile from where the new U.S. 641 will tie into the existing corridor.

Although I realize that a new terrain expressway is much less expensive than a new terrain interstate-grade freeway, I still find it ironic that the US 641 project is a new terrain project.  :eyebrow:

RoadWarrior56

On Saturday morning, I drove the old Western Kentucky Parkway section that was recently designated as I-69.  As has been mentioned here before, there is no advanced signage on any other road that you are approaching I-69 (with one exception).  All of the trailblazers and overhead signs still say Western Kentucky Parkway alone.  The only exception appears to be at the US 62/Eddyville exit, where there actually were I-69 trailblazer signs.  Why there, I am not sure, unless the ceremony took place at that interchange.

Along I-69 itself, the confirmation signs are all small (24" I suppose), with the old WK parkway signs beside them with "Formerly" above each, with the exception at the Eddyville exit and beginning from I-24 where small I-69 signs are by themselves.  No mile markers have been changed, or have any exit numbers been changed.

So it looks like that for now, the I-69 designation was done "on the cheap", with only a half-hearted effort to redesignate the roadway in the field.

I suppose at some point the rest of the signage will be updated.  It may happen after sections of the roadway are upgraded to interstate standards, or after other sections have been designated as well.

vdeane

Not really surprised; the designation was mainly a publicity stunt anyways.  They'll probably replace signage as it wears out.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

agentsteel53

do any of the signs have the state name?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

The Great Whamini

With all these small towns slated to get new US 60 bypasses, they may as well prep the terrain for a possible new terrain I-69.  But I guess renaming the parkways was the path of least resistance.
"Don't get your kidney stones in a rock slide"

RoadWarrior56

No I-69 signs had the state name, they were all neutered.

agentsteel53

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on February 20, 2012, 07:58:22 PM
No I-69 signs had the state name, they were all neutered.

penis crap.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

RoadWarrior56

In reference to a new terrain route, you would probably have to wait another 20-30 years at least before such a route could be constructed due to lack of funding in Kentucky, notwithstanding all of the environmental crap that would have to be dealt with as well as the opposition that it would generate.  Be thankful the parkways already exist for use as a basis for an I-69 in Kentucky.  It is bad enough that it will take Kentucky years to have the money to buid a few miles of new freeway to connect with the proposed Ohio River bridge at Henderson.

The Great Whamini

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on February 20, 2012, 08:01:32 PM
In reference to a new terrain route, you would probably have to wait another 20-30 years at least before such a route could be constructed due to lack of funding in Kentucky, notwithstanding all of the environmental crap that would have to be dealt with as well as the opposition that it would generate.  Be thankful the parkways already exist for use as a basis for an I-69 in Kentucky.  It is bad enough that it will take Kentucky years to have the money to buid a few miles of new freeway to connect with the proposed Ohio River bridge at Henderson.
I understand Evv/Hen bridge won't begin before the new I-65 (265?) bridge east of Louisville is complete.  I'm glad I found this forum because I want to stay appraised on the status of that bridge.
"Don't get your kidney stones in a rock slide"

RoadWarrior56

The Brent Spence (I-75) bridge in Cinncinatti/Covington may come before I-69 as well.

tdindy88

Out of curiosity, would it be any cheaper just to upgrade the current US 41 from Henderson toward Interstate 164 and grade seperate everything along US 41 through that stretch north of US 60 with a series of frontage roads along the side with some slip ramps and then just use the current bridges, and rebuild one span at a time, with an interchange for Ellis Park on the northern side of the river. Or is the new terrain and new bridge route better?

hbelkins

Quote from: tdindy88 on February 21, 2012, 01:32:48 PM
Out of curiosity, would it be any cheaper just to upgrade the current US 41 from Henderson toward Interstate 164 and grade seperate everything along US 41 through that stretch north of US 60 with a series of frontage roads along the side with some slip ramps and then just use the current bridges, and rebuild one span at a time, with an interchange for Ellis Park on the northern side of the river. Or is the new terrain and new bridge route better?

That would be a major cluster-foxtrot. Plus the US 60 interchange would have to be rebuilt since the mainline drops to one lane for a short distance there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.