News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-265 Ohio River Bridge

Started by mgk920, March 06, 2012, 11:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Not related to the bridges construction project, but affected people will be most likely to see it here:

Both the Clark (US 31) and Kennedy (I-265) bridges will have closures this weekend due to Thunder Over Louisville Air and Fireworks shows.

The Clark (US 31) bridge closes Thursday morning at 9:30 am and will not re-open until Sunday at 2:00 pm.

The Kennedy (I-65) bridge, along with all of I-65 between I-264 in Kentucky and I-265 in Indiana, closes Saturday from 8:00 pm to Midnight.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

NWI_Irish96

The Clark (US 31) bridge closed this morning and will be closed for about 6 weeks.  As part of the construction of the new I-65 span, the US 31/Court Ave intersection is being reconfigured from a traffic signal to an interchange.

NWI_Irish96

The Clark (US 31) bridge is reopening Friday morning. 

codyg1985

It seems like things are much farther along with the bridge along I-65 than with the East End Bridge. Towers are going up on the I-65 bridge.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

tidecat

I drove through the construction zone Friday in the Kentucky side of the East End approach.  There are some noticeable changes on the 2-lane part of the Snyder already, even though construction continues on the tunnels.  Part of the rush on the new downtown bridge is that it will temporarily replace the Kennedy until the Kennedy is converted to one-way traffic.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

NWI_Irish96

http://www.whas11.com/news/breaker2/I-65-lane-reductions-begins-Sept-2-in-Southern-Indiana-272577661.html

QuoteI-65 North and I-65 South will be reduced from three through lanes of traffic to two from the Kennedy Bridge to Brown's Station Way. The lane reductions extend for nearly 1 ½ miles, with significant congestion and delays expected.

The lane closures are expected to begin Tuesday, September 2, right after the Labor Day weekend. I-65 lane closures in Southern Indiana are expected to continue until late 2016, when the project nears completion.

The lane closures will squeeze both directions of I-65 into the area where the southbound lanes are currently. This shift will allow for the demolition of the existing and the construction of new northbound lanes to connect with the new Ohio River bridge under construction.

-    There won't be direct access from I-65 North to Stansifer Avenue or Brown's Station Way after I-65 North traffic is moved the week of September 15
-    Northbound lanes of traffic on the Kennedy Bridge will be reduced from three through lanes of traffic and an exit lane to two through lanes and an exit lane
-    Southbound lanes on the Kennedy Bridge will not be affected
Expected Timeline (Subject to Change)

nwi_navigator_1181

No doubt that I-265 west to I-64 east to I-264 east will be the alternate route mapped out for Louisville through traffic heading south (the reverse for northbound). They're moving along at a clip now.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

Tom958

From skyscrapercity:

Quote from: ChrisZwolle;119019042The Interstate 265 (East End Crossing) under construction in Google Earth (imagery dated September 23, 2014)

codyg1985

Well darn, it isn't showing up on any of my Google Imagery stuff. Gradual rollout, I guess.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Henry

I can't wait to see the finished product!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

silverback1065

billtm

According to the project's website, late 2016.
QuoteInitial construction activity began in spring 2013, following the Indiana Finance Authority's selection of WVB East End Partners to design, finance, build, operate and maintain the East End Crossing. The project is being overseen by the Indiana Department of Transportation, and will be substantially completed and open to traffic in late 2016.

Chris

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 12, 2014, 10:07:11 AM
Well darn, it isn't showing up on any of my Google Imagery stuff. Gradual rollout, I guess.

Google Earth is usually updated before Google Maps. Sometimes there are several days between the release in Google Earth and Google Maps. As of today (November 14) Google Maps still has the old imagery, while the update was released to Google Earth on November 8.

NWI_Irish96

One way to get photos and updates of the projects is through their Facebook sites.  Both have some good photos on there:

https://www.facebook.com/OhioRiverEastEndCrossing?ref=br_tf

https://www.facebook.com/LouisvilleDowntownBridge

iBallasticwolf2

I drove on around Louisville last week, the downtown progress is pretty good
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

NWI_Irish96

If you are driving through Louisville this weekend, a note about some closures due to Saturday night's fireworks show:

The Clark Memorial (US 31) bridge will be closed from 9:30 am Thursday through 2:00 pm Sunday.

The Kennedy (I-65) bridge will be closed Saturday from 8-11 pm.

seicer

Thank heavens for Interstate 265.... oh wait, just one bridge? Interstate 64 to 264? Have fun with that!

silverback1065

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 16, 2015, 08:33:06 AM
If you are driving through Louisville this weekend, a note about some closures due to Saturday night's fireworks show:

The Clark Memorial (US 31) bridge will be closed from 9:30 am Thursday through 2:00 pm Sunday.

Why would they allow them to close a major interstate like 65 for some fireworks?

hbelkins

It's probably Thunder Over Louisville, which is the pre-Kentucky Derby fireworks show. They always close the bridges for it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 16, 2015, 09:24:26 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on April 16, 2015, 08:33:06 AM

Why would they allow them to close a major interstate like 65 for some fireworks?

Otherwise people would stop on the bridge to watch the fireworks and completely clog traffic.

tidecat

I've had people who live in Oldham county tell me they can hear the fireworks from their home - it is a truly massive display.

One of Thunder's signature effects is a "waterfall" off the Clark Memorial Bridge.

tidecat

I didn't see a thread for the downtown bridge, but if you look at the Web cams for the project, you will see smoke from the massive fire along Whiskey Row at 1st and Main.

iBallasticwolf2

Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

NWI_Irish96

http://eastendcrossing.com/project-overview/roundabouts/

While the through portion of IN-265 (future I-265) will not be open until late 2016, the reconfigured IN-265/IN-62/10th Street/Port Road interchange is set to open next week, including the first roundabouts in this part of the state.  Will be interesting to see how much trouble this causes for people down here.

tdindy88

Huh, roundabouts. I thought they were doing a diverging diamond there. Oh well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.