News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-376 Traffic Light?

Started by Roadsguy, July 13, 2012, 04:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadsguy

My dad said there was a traffic light in either WB or EB I-376 in Pittsburgh between 279 and 579, but that it was removed. Where exactly was this, and does anyone have any pictures?

EDIT: My original question is answered, but apparently the discussion continues. :P
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Alps

Before I-376 was completed, that part of it used Fort Pitt Blvd. between Liberty Bridge and 279. That's what your father's remembering.

NE2

I think there was a light on the ramp from I-279 south to I-376 east.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Roadsguy

Yeah, it was that ramp. (When was it made 376? My dad was born in 1962, so he doesn't even remember that far back.) Was it the part where the ramp from 279 merges with the ramp from Grant St? The mainline merge forms a third lane, so a light there wouldn't make much sense.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

qguy

OK, I don't know why my son didn't just ask me to find out for him. (Apparently he must've thought I wasn't up to the task. Tsk-tsk. You have much to learn, my son. When the student is ready, the teacher will appear. And other clichés like that there.)

For many years, when driving from southbound I-279 to eastbound I-376 (crossing "the point," just before the Fort Pitt Bridge), one encountered a handfull of signal lights (I forget how many). IOW, there wasn't a direct, freeway-to-freeway connection between the two highways in that direction.

After only 42 years, PennDOT finally corrected this configuration with a project that wrapped up in Dec 02 (I think). A direct, single-lane ramp was constructed at that time. It was part of a larger reconstuction of some deteriorated and troublesome ramps, I believe.

Mr_Northside

Correct.  Traffic from the Ft. Duquesne Bridge heading to eastbound 376 has to use Ft. Pitt Blvd, which prior to it's reconstruction didn't have a separated (by jersey barrier) "connector" lane that didn't have to stop at the lights.  It was quite the pain in the ass. 
Ft. Pitt Blvd (which is elevated) was completely rebuilt in the early '00's (the old structure was so bad that the third, far right lane was permanently closed)... and they were able to make the far right lane a more "direct connection", and it IS a hell of a lot nicer.  (The other 2 lanes have to contend with 3 traffic signals)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Mr_Northside

And technically, I-376 does currently have traffic signals... At the mouths of the tunnels.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Roadsguy

roadman65

Quote from: Mr_Northside on July 16, 2012, 12:56:14 PM
And technically, I-376 does currently have traffic signals... At the mouths of the tunnels.
Technically also, I-95 & I-495 do on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge near Alexandria, VA in almost the same manner.

At least those on I-376 are more so lane control signals as those on the drawbridges are not and actually will stop traffic.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PAHighways

Quote from: roadman65 on December 15, 2012, 01:49:17 PM
Technically also, I-95 & I-495 do on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge near Alexandria, VA in almost the same manner.

At least those on I-376 are more so lane control signals as those on the drawbridges are not and actually will stop traffic.

The signals on 376 stop traffic as well.  I got caught at the one on eastern portal of the Squirrel Hill Tunnel last Summer.

empirestate

Quote from: PAHighways on December 21, 2012, 10:12:22 PM

The signals on 376 stop traffic as well.  I got caught at the one on eastern portal of the Squirrel Hill Tunnel last Summer.

Yes, they're used to hold traffic when they need to turn back an overheight truck.

PAHighways

Quote from: empirestate on December 22, 2012, 11:50:54 AM
Quote from: PAHighways on December 21, 2012, 10:12:22 PM

Yes, they're used to hold traffic when they need to turn back an overheight truck.

That and if there is an accident, breakdown, etc.

Henry

That's an eerie resemblance to I-676 in Philly, at the foot of the Ben Franklin Bridge!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

PAHighways

That's SR 2005, because PennDOT considers 676 as only running between 76 and 95.

Alps

Quote from: PAHighways on December 22, 2012, 02:01:00 PM
That's SR 2005, because PennDOT considers 676 as only running between 76 and 95.
Shouldn't it be SR 0030?

PAHighways

Quote from: Steve on December 23, 2012, 01:06:40 AM
Quote from: PAHighways on December 22, 2012, 02:01:00 PM
Shouldn't it be SR 0030?

PennDOT only recognizes US 30 as running from the Montgomery County line to the Schuylkill Expressway.

I guess they figure there is no point to sign that little section of 6th Street as 0030 since the ramp to 6th is 8061 and the ramp onto the Ben Franklin has no SR being under the jurisdiction of DRPA.

NE2

PennDOT considers SR 0676 to run to I-95. But I-676 clearly goes over the BFB per signage and maps.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on December 23, 2012, 05:13:51 AM
PennDOT considers SR 0676 to run to I-95. But I-676 clearly goes over the BFB per signage and maps.
I thought the FHWA considered the PA side of I-676 to be the same as PA's definition of it.

NE2

I remember having this discussion before, and I don't remember the conclusion.

PAHighways

DRPA and NJDOT consider the Ben Franklin as part of 676, and while PennDOT does not, they still sign it that way to keep continuity with those agencies.

The FHWA's route log indicates it as two routes: 2.15 miles in PA which is the distance between 76 and 95, and 4.75 miles in NJ (state line on the Ben Franklin to 76).

NE2

Quote from: PAHighways on December 23, 2012, 01:10:11 PM
DRPA and NJDOT consider the Ben Franklin as part of 676, and while PennDOT does not, they still sign it that way to keep continuity with those agencies.
Really? PennDOT has a definition for Interstate Traffic Route 676 that ends at I-95?

PAHighways

Quote from: NE2 on December 23, 2012, 10:38:55 PM
Quote from: PAHighways on December 23, 2012, 01:10:11 PM
Really? PennDOT has a definition for Interstate Traffic Route 676 that ends at I-95?

Yes

NE2

Quote from: PAHighways on December 23, 2012, 11:23:43 PM

Yes
[/quote]

Then why do the maps show Interstate Traffic Route 676 on the BFB?

PAHighways

Quote from: NE2 on December 24, 2012, 01:01:48 AM

To maintain a continuity, for drivers, between the two shores of the Delaware.

NE2

Quote from: PAHighways on December 24, 2012, 02:48:35 AM
Quote from: NE2 on December 24, 2012, 01:01:48 AM

To maintain a continuity, for drivers, between the two shores of the Delaware.

How is that not what a Traffic Route does?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.