News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NCDOT to add I-495 onto US 64 from I-440 to I-95

Started by Mapmikey, February 27, 2013, 08:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: Molandfreak on August 15, 2014, 07:21:31 PM
Still, it's sad and embarrassing that an Interstate connection hasn't been made between Raleigh and Hampton Roads... The businesses are right in this instance.

Why? There's a perfectly good four-lane corridor available. Not everything has to be an interstate.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Molandfreak

Quote from: froggie on August 15, 2014, 08:45:06 PM
QuoteStill, it's sad and embarrassing that an Interstate connection hasn't been made between Raleigh and Hampton Roads... The businesses are right in this instance.
There's really no need for one.  US 64 (Future I-495...the topic of this thread) and I-95 bring a freeway up to Emporia.  And aside from minor improvements, an interchange here or there, and addressing west Suffolk, US 58 is more than adequate to cover the rest of the distance.  Such a route is also over 20 miles shorter than taking 64 to 17.  The local businesses east of Rocky Mount know this, which is why they're chomping at the bit to try and bring a superhighway to the corridor, even though every trucker worth his load knows US 58 to I-95 is both shorter and faster.
Alright, maybe it isn't needed on this corridor, but I think VDOT should consider upgrading U.S. 58 to Interstate standards east of South Hill, to fill a considerable gap that the Interstate system has.  I would imagine the traffic count is high enough; probably much higher than U.S. 64 is west of I-95...
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Molandfreak

Quote from: hbelkins on August 15, 2014, 11:03:07 PM
Not everything has to be an interstate.
We all know that, dude.  I'm just saying two adjacent metros of over a million people should have a direct Interstate connection...  Disagree? fine.  I'm not suggesting anything unreasonable.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

The Nature Boy

Still, it's sad and embarrassing that an Interstate connection hasn't been made between Raleigh and Hampton Roads... The businesses are right in this instance.

Why? There's a perfectly good four-lane corridor available. Not everything has to be an interstate.

You should tell this to the NCDOT. They love wasting money proving you wrong.

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: bugo on July 02, 2014, 11:22:11 PM
Quote from: WashuOtaku on July 02, 2014, 11:13:48 PM
Quote from: bugo on July 02, 2014, 12:19:30 AM
Quote from: WashuOtaku on April 27, 2014, 02:54:38 PM
It's north-south because it's an odd-digit interstate highway.  Also, if one looks on a map, it does go north-south similar to I-85 in the state.  Same reason I-26 is east-west, because it's even-digit.  :pan:
Wrong.  3 digit interstates aren't required to be signed in the same direction of their parents.  There are plenty of examples of 3 digit interstates that are signed in a different direction as their parents (I-180, I-530, I-444, etc).

Just because there are exceptions to the rule, it doesn't make it right.   :pan:

IT'S NOT A RULE!  Are you saying I-530 should be signed E-W?  There is no rule for 3 digit interstates that says they must be signed according to the direction of their "parent" highway.  Look it up.

You are correct. I-110 is a good example. Every I-110 is signed as a North-South freeway. Pensacola, Biloxi, Baton Rouge, El Paso, and Los Angeles - all 5 North-South!
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

Alps

It sounds like two different concepts at play - upgrading US 64 and upgrading US 17, which just happen to add up to a route to Norfolk. I say, route I-40 east along US 64, the rest of the route can be a southern I-91 or what have you, and then US 17 can be a southern I-93 or I-97 (or, again, what have you).

The Nature Boy

If this HAD to be done, I would just upgrade US 64 and 17. If anything, it might have a positive effect on the northeastern NC areas that it passes through.

Does it need an interstate designation though? You could probably sign the entirety of the US 64/17 route from Raleigh to Virginia Beach as an extension of I-64 and just sign it as "North/South" after Virginia Beach. It's too long to be a 3di but I don't want to burn a 2di on that route. I'd be happy with just upgrading it and not slapping an interstate shield on it.

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: The Nature Boy on August 15, 2014, 11:50:12 PM
If this HAD to be done, I would just upgrade US 64 and 17. If anything, it might have a positive effect on the northeastern NC areas that it passes through.

Does it need an interstate designation though? You could probably sign the entirety of the US 64/17 route from Raleigh to Virginia Beach as an extension of I-64 and just sign it as "North/South" after Virginia Beach. It's too long to be a 3di but I don't want to burn a 2di on that route. I'd be happy with just upgrading it and not slapping an interstate shield on it.

I see nothing wrong with I staying US 17 and US 64 as freeways .....
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

WashuOtaku

Quote from: I94RoadRunner on August 16, 2014, 03:48:31 AM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on August 15, 2014, 11:50:12 PM

I see nothing wrong with I staying US 17 and US 64 as freeways .....

The plan, and NCDOT has not been hiding this, is to make the US 64/US 17 corridor an interstate route between Raleigh and Norfolk.  I-495 was the first step in that process and they have been widening and upgrading both US 64 and US 17 for years now.  It just takes a long as time because the state is fronting the money since the Feds haven't recognized this route as a future Interstate corridor until I-495. 

I believe this has already been touched on before.

The Nature Boy

After the I-74 fiasco, I can't say I trust the NCDOT with anything interstate related.

froggie

Quote from: molandfreakAlright, maybe it isn't needed on this corridor, but I think VDOT should consider upgrading U.S. 58 to Interstate standards east of South Hill, to fill a considerable gap that the Interstate system has.  I would imagine the traffic count is high enough; probably much higher than U.S. 64 is west of I-95...

Quote from: The Nature BoyIf this HAD to be done, I would just upgrade US 64 and 17.

A freeway-grade US 58 would be a nice-to-have and I'd agree if VDOT were to push an Interstate designation for it.  But as I noted earlier, except for a few upgrades here and there, US 58 functions just fine as it exists.  Upgrading I-64 and addressing Hampton Roads water crossings should be MUCH higher priorities for VDOT than an Interstate-grade US 58.

Another thing noted earlier is that it's over 20 miles shorter taking I-95 and US 58 between Rocky Mount and Norfolk versus taking US 64 and US 17.  Also, the 95/58 corridor has 54 miles of already-existing Interstate highway, which when considered along with the shorter distance gives that corridor a CLEAR advantage should an Interstate corridor between Raleigh and Norfolk be pursued.  While US 64 is freeway grade east of Rocky Mount to Williamston and US 17 has freeway segments around Windsor, Edenton, and E-City, almost all of that freeway mileage lacks paved shoulders (an Interstate requirement).

Regarding traffic volumes, US 64 west of I-95 sees a bit more than US 58 east of I-95 does.  NCDOT traffic volume maps show US 64 bottoming out at 18K between US 258 and NC 39, but is otherwise 20K+.  Meanwhile, per VDOT, all of US 58 between Emporia and Courtland is at or below 15K.  US 58 bumps up to the 18-20K range between Courtland and Holland, but doesn't really reach US 64 levels until east of Holland.

Quote from: WashuOtakuI believe this has already been touched on before.

Yes it has.  And it was determined then that it's local business interests that are pushing an Interstate corridor east of Rocky Mount, not NCDOT.

CanesFan27

Port of Newport News direct freeway connection to Raleigh and part of the Interstate System.  When I was at a prior employer, I had a number of import purchases come in from Wilmington and Newport News.  This would be on a supply-chain argument where an Interstate designation can come into play.

Is it currently served well, yes.  Should a full freeway corridor be built - I think so.  If it is signed as an interstate as part of the overall Interstate Highway System, yes I have no issue with it.

RoadMaster09

I do agree it should be a 2di (I-46 or I-48 makes most sense) and the designation extended to Williamston, with a potential extension farther east if upgraded.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: RoadMaster09 on August 26, 2014, 09:35:13 PM
I do agree it should be a 2di (I-46 or I-48 makes most sense) and the designation extended to Williamston, with a potential extension farther east if upgraded.

I agree too, but FHWA isn't going to allow such a short interstate right off the bat without some politician forcing it like I-99.  As a result, it's on the slow boat to China.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.