News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Missouri Traffic Signals

Started by M86, November 29, 2013, 02:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M86

I've tried to search through the forum for my question, but I've come up empty... Even though I know this had to have come up for discussion at some time.

What is the standard for Missouri traffic signals?  I've seen so many traffic signals with an "up" arrow for traffic going through/straight, instead of the solid green.  Was this a standard back in the day... or is MoDOT still installing it?  I just drove through an intersection in Joplin on Range Line Road, and the signal assemblies (for a green light) on the arm were a mix of an up arrow and solid green... but I believe MoDOT did that for the right turn lane.

Scott5114

There are a lot of MoDOT signals with green up arrows in Springfield, too.

Traffic signals are kind of interesting in Missouri, since MoDOT handles everything to do with them on state highways, including signage, so MoDOT standard mastarm signage (which I believe is identical to a diagram in the MUTCD) overrides whatever house style a city has. (For example, prior to the 2009 MUTCD, it was easy to tell whose signals were whose in Springfield–MoDOT used all caps and Springfield used mixed case.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

M86

The green up arrows are all over Missouri (at least the western part of it).

Here's a newer traffic signal at US 60 & Kodiak Road outside of Neosho:
http://goo.gl/maps/jdak7

It has the "up" arrows and the non-all caps signage... and they dropped the "Route" :)

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

M86

Quote from: US71 on November 30, 2013, 10:52:11 AM
A lot of this may be changing as Missouri is slowly adopting the Flashing Yellow Arrow.
http://www.ky3.com/news/local/red-green-and-flashingyellow-new-style-of-traffic-signals-arrive-in-the-ozarks/-/21048998/23218950/-/11o94wp/-/index.html
Wow... I'm surprised it took this long for the flashing yellow to enter SW MO.

I don't think it'll change much... I still want to know the standard for the "up" arrows, or installing solid greens on signals.  Now if MoDOT will just stick with non-uppercase signage on signal poles.

Revive 755

The main MoDOT standard for green arrows is under 902.5.11 in MODOT's policy guide:
http://epg.modot.org/index.php?title=902.5_Traffic_Control_Signal_Features_%28MUTCD_Chapter_4D%29#902.5.30_Signal_Indications_for_Right-Turn_Movements_.E2.80.93_General_.28MUTCD_Section_4D.21.29

It appears the green arrow is used when the opposing left turn is left on green arrow only.

M86

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 01, 2013, 08:55:51 PM
The main MoDOT standard for green arrows is under 902.5.11 in MODOT's policy guide:
http://epg.modot.org/index.php?title=902.5_Traffic_Control_Signal_Features_%28MUTCD_Chapter_4D%29#902.5.30_Signal_Indications_for_Right-Turn_Movements_.E2.80.93_General_.28MUTCD_Section_4D.21.29

It appears the green arrow is used when the opposing left turn is left on green arrow only.

Thank you for that info.  I've seen MoDOT signals that defy that rule... Bah... I'll let it rest! :)

Mdcastle

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 01, 2013, 08:55:51 PM

This is one of the things that's useful if you know about it, but is probably too subtle to make a difference for the average driver.

ColossalBlocks

MoDot is changing a lot of stuff. Remember traffic lights with full reds but green and yellow arrows? Those are gone now. Soon MoDot is probably going to replace all the Doghouse lights with 4 LED lights.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

US71

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on August 07, 2016, 11:29:03 PM
MoDot is changing a lot of stuff. Remember traffic lights with full reds but green and yellow arrows? Those are gone now. Soon MoDot is probably going to replace all the Doghouse lights with 4 LED lights.

Liberty, MO is fond of 3 light set-ups with the bottom being a combo green arrow/flashing yellow arrow.

M86

Quote from: US71 on August 07, 2016, 11:44:31 PM
Liberty, MO is fond of 3 light set-ups with the bottom being a combo green arrow/flashing yellow arrow.
Yeah, I'm thinking they borrowed that from some of the western KC, KS burbs.  Over there, in Lenexa (if I remember right) anyway, they would use a 4 signal and have the bottom light do yellow/green arrow.

It's bad practice.  Color blindness and driver expectancy play a part. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: M86 on August 22, 2016, 04:11:12 AM
Quote from: US71 on August 07, 2016, 11:44:31 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking they borrowed that from some of the western KC, KS burbs.  Over there, in Lenexa (if I remember right) anyway, they would use a 4 signal and have the bottom light do yellow/green arrow.

It's bad practice.  Color blindness and driver expectancy play a part. 

Some states have used green/yellow combo arrows for *decades*. The only place where people complain about it is here by people who are not colorblind.  I've never see where colorblind people - including those like my dad - have ever said they had an issue with a combo green/yellow arrow.

Scott5114

I don't think it's so much colorblindness that's an issue, but the lack of the visual cue of the arrow "jumping" from segment to segment that serves as a noticeable indication the light has changed. Just changing color is more subtle.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ColossalBlocks

This coming from a Missourian, It is the crappy straight signal.

https://goo.gl/maps/5MnN14vZcQ12

US71

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on September 28, 2016, 09:47:07 PM

Looks like the other way has a Flashing Yellow Arrow, so some kind of signal is needed.

M86

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on September 28, 2016, 09:47:07 PM

I don't see anything of issue at that intersection. What's wrong with that?

ColossalBlocks

The crappy straight mast arm signal. Nothing but straight.

jakeroot

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on December 29, 2016, 06:05:53 PM

Huh? Are we talking about something visible in Street View?

EDIT: The signal or the mast arm? Be specific, bud.

US71

Revive 755

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on December 29, 2016, 06:05:53 PM

Be thankful MoDOT didn't use some sort of span wire.  They don't exactly have the budget to go for more decorative mast arms at the moment.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.