News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Business Routes in SD

Started by florida, July 30, 2014, 09:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida

I was out in Huron and Brookings, SD over the last couple of days.

In Huron, I found it odd that 3rd Street had an exit off of US 14 (east of town) so I turned onto 3rd Street SE, eastbound from SD 37, and was surprised to find green cutout Business US 14 shields. There were a total of 3 shields with one on 'Old Hwy 14' west of downtown and the other two on the same block of 3rd Street SE between Beach and Frank. Is this just a city-maintained routing? The route seems to use SD 37 to connect between Market and 3rd Street.

Apparently, the Business I-29 "loop" in Brookings is a spur. It is only signed west from I-29 with no definitive end and no reassurance shields along US 14 proper. I assume it ends at Main Street as that would be a logical terminus. The SD 324 exit has no signage whatsoever of Business I-29 (plus it was recently resurfaced and all the SD 324 shields are new installations of black and white instead of white and green), and neither does the Bypass US 14 exit.

Side note, the bypass of US 14 comes in two flavors on reassurance shields: "Bypass, [direction], US 14" or "[direction], US 14B"
So many roads...so little time.

andy3175

Quote from: florida on July 30, 2014, 09:49:57 AM
Apparently, the Business I-29 "loop" in Brookings is a spur. It is only signed west from I-29 with no definitive end and no reassurance shields along US 14 proper. I assume it ends at Main Street as that would be a logical terminus. The SD 324 exit has no signage whatsoever of Business I-29 (plus it was recently resurfaced and all the SD 324 shields are new installations of black and white instead of white and green), and neither does the Bypass US 14 exit.

Based on what I saw on Google Street View, I'd have to agree. The business loop appears to have become a business spur solely located on US 14 for an indeterminate distance west into downtown Brookings. Our entry on the Interstate guide for BL 29 in Brookings appears to be out of date as a result.

Does anyone have any formal information from official sources on why the BL 29 shields have been removed in Brookings?
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

M86

I'll try and help.

That "3rd Street Exit" will probably be eliminated within the next few years.  Do you have any pics of the shields in Huron?

As for Brookings, it's always been a Business Spur, with no signage.

But, SDDOT has widened I-29 between the two exits in Brookings.  US 14B on the signs is definitely odd.  The "B" can mean "business" or "bypass".

florida

Quote from: M86 on August 07, 2014, 02:09:08 AM
I'll try and help.

That "3rd Street Exit" will probably be eliminated within the next few years.  Do you have any pics of the shields in Huron?

But, SDDOT has widened I-29 between the two exits in Brookings.  US 14B on the signs is definitely odd.  The "B" can mean "business" or "bypass".

That's interesting, if it is eliminated. The 'exit' is a random piece of history.

I did get one photo of the Bus 14 shield, but there is also a photograph of one in the AARoads Shield Gallery .
So many roads...so little time.

agentsteel53

photo from September, 2006.  at least 3 shields still present as of October, 2011.

never seen anything like it elsewhere.  my guess is it's a city job.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

M86

I say eliminated, because SDDOT has removed a lot of "history" lately... Well, history for me!

That 3rd Street "exit" is doomed for removal.  But don't take my word for it!

I'll send an email to SDDOT about the Huron shields and the "exit" on the east side of town!

SD Mapman

Quote from: M86 on August 08, 2014, 02:08:01 AM
I say eliminated, because SDDOT has removed a lot of "history" lately... Well, history for me!

That 3rd Street "exit" is doomed for removal.  But don't take my word for it!

I'll send an email to SDDOT about the Huron shields and the "exit" on the east side of town!
No, don't. I like them. (And besides, don't begrudge Huron their bit of luck.) SD is pretty cavalier with business routes, though, and they might not even care. Most of them have already been turned over to cities already! I think the business spur in Brookings isn't signed because the city doesn't care. That happens in a lot of towns.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

SD Mapman

Quote from: M86 on August 07, 2014, 02:09:08 AM
I'll try and help.

It's bypass. All the bypass/truck routes in SD are legally defined as 14B, 16B, and so on. This contractor must have decided to go by the law instead of precedence. (might also have been not to confuse drivers. 2 14 shields after another would be a little odd to a non-roadgeek)
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Milepost61

There have been a few weird attempts at green business US markers in Minnesota, most notably US 71 in Willmar.

Via Monte Castleman:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=6671.msg148159#msg148159

froggie

Those were pre-standard.  MnDOT does have a Standard BUSINESS US marker (no photo easily available) now, as well as a Standard BUSINESS MN marker.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.