Should MODOT build it's section of the Bella Vista Bypass Now?

Started by ShawnP, May 04, 2010, 11:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShawnP

With low construction rates now and many companies begging for work. MODOT could save millions by building to the Arkansas border. It would leave about 1-2 miles of ghost road to the border after the last exit. However as I said MODOT could easily save 5 million or more. MODOT has already said they have the money in the bank. Add in 5 million from TIGER in February MODOT could shift the savings onto more construction further north on future I-49. I am confident that Arkansas will get it's act together and build their portion. The politicial will is there and right of way is being purchased so I think it's gonna happen eventually.

US71

The money allegedly got diverted elsewhere when Arkansas wasn't ready to move.

Arkansas wants to build a Toll Road, but they need to change some laws to do it. Eventually, 49 will probably be built, but I doubt anytime soon.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ShawnP

MODOT has said they would divert the money to upgrading US-71 between Harrisonville and Joplin. Well the time is here as MODOT has the upgrade planned in FY 2011 with very detailed planning already conducted and not much right of way to buy. If they do divert it will be more expensive to build in the future and hard to get that money unless Missouri comes up with a better highway funding plan.

US71

Quote from: ShawnP on May 04, 2010, 03:29:59 PM
MODOT has said they would divert the money to upgrading US-71 between Harrisonville and Joplin. Well the time is here as MODOT has the upgrade planned in FY 2011 with very detailed planning already conducted and not much right of way to buy.

http://www.modot.mo.gov/kansascity/major_projects/291and71meeting.htm

Truvelo

Speed limits limit life

ShawnP

Overkill if you ask me as frankly that intersection isn't the worst one in the KC area. That honor goes to Gregory Blvd and US-71. Plus the intersection south of MO-7 on 71 has had some very horrific speed collisions. Driving thru yesterday they have closed it off with temporary barriers. They need to close it for good. Outer roads could connect with 7 and a overpass would take care of the east-west traffic. IMHO too close to 7 to build another interchange.

US71

Quote from: ShawnP on May 04, 2010, 04:41:16 PM
Overkill if you ask me as frankly that intersection isn't the worst one in the KC area. That honor goes to Gregory Blvd and US-71. Plus the intersection south of MO-7 on 71 has had some very horrific speed collisions. Driving thru yesterday they have closed it off with temporary barriers. They need to close it for good. Outer roads could connect with 7 and a overpass would take care of the east-west traffic. IMHO too close to 7 to build another interchange.

71-7 could definitely be improved... I hate the Lane Drop on WB 7.

However, 71-291 needs something as I have seen traffic backed up for blocks. Safety? Perhaps. Expediency? Definitely!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.