News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Arkansas - Toward Zero Deaths campaign

Started by M86, February 06, 2014, 03:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M86

The Toward Zero Deaths campaign is a new thing for AHTD.  I'm starting this thread to pinpoint issues in Arkansas, and hopefully our fellow member, AHTD, can forward our info to the appropriate channels.

TZD website - http://tzdarkansas.com/

When I first clicked on the link, a question was asked. 
"What percentage of pedestrian fatalities occur at night?"

I guessed 50%.  It's 75%.

The commercials I've seen on local channels say that Arkansas has about 500 deaths annually on the roads.

I think we have a few Arkansas members on AARoads... What would you do to improve safety?

My recommendations: 
- Better access control/stop using the 5 lane road with the dangerous two-way left turn lane, unless absolutely necessary... And usually it isn't.
- A major revision of AHTD's roadway lighting policy...
- There are so many AR highways with no shoulders... I know AHTD is working on this.

NE2

Pedestrians who wear revealing clothing are asking for it.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

They should have followed Oklahoma's lead by relocating 2 lane highways onto new alignments instead of just paving the '20s era highway (or older) and calling it a day.  I guarantee if US 71 ran across the border it would be a much safer highway.

cjk374

What kind of involvement does AHTD have with grade crossing accidents and trespasser fatalities?  I work for a railroad that runs in Columbia County, AR, and I work with Operation Lifesaver as a presenter of OLI's message of safety around railroads & grade crossings.  Back in 2010, Arkansas ranked 18th in the nation for grade crossing accidents & trespasser fatalities (not bad compared to Louisiana's #5 ranking for the same year).  Louisiana has come up with grant money to give railroads for new signage at grade crossings.

I do realize new signs won't keep people from taking a stroll down the tracks, but Louisiana seems a bit more concerned about this problem than AHTD.  I think my railroad tried looking for money in Arkansas for new signage, but to no avail.  Did they miss something or is it really not there to get?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: M86 on February 06, 2014, 03:03:33 AM
The Toward Zero Deaths campaign is a new thing for AHTD.  I'm starting this thread to pinpoint issues in Arkansas, and hopefully our fellow member, AHTD, can forward our info to the appropriate channels.

I think we have a few Arkansas members on AARoads... What would you do to improve safety?

My recommendations: 
- Better access control/stop using the 5 lane road with the dangerous two-way left turn lane, unless absolutely necessary... And usually it isn't.

Looking thru the website, I can't seem to find anything that indicates a two-way left turn lane has to do with a significant number of deaths.  Usually when cars are in this lane, they are slowing down, so when collisions occur, they are slower speed collisions, often times not resulting in deaths. 

Seems like a waste of time to focus on something that isn't really part of the problem.

NE2

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 06, 2014, 08:36:10 AM
Usually when cars are in this lane, they are slowing down, so when collisions occur, they are slower speed collisions, often times not resulting in deaths.
The problem isn't the TWLTL per se but the unrestricted left turns allowed onto the highway, across the TWLTL and the full-speed traffic next to it.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: NE2 on February 06, 2014, 09:00:40 AM

The problem isn't the TWLTL per se but the unrestricted left turns allowed onto the highway, across the TWLTL and the full-speed traffic next to it.

Anyone have stats on how effective "Michigan Lefts" are? I'm seeing more and more in Missouri.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

AHTD

We don't have any Michigan Lefts, but we do have a project in Little Rock that will incorporate a Continuous Flow Intersection (CFI), also known as a Displaced Left Turn (DLT).

This is being developed for the intersection of State Highway 10 and Rodney Parham Road in Little Rock. See traffic simulation model here:

The CFI appears in the third phase of the video.
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

US71

Quote from: AHTD on February 07, 2014, 04:32:03 PM
We don't have any Michigan Lefts, but we do have a project in Little Rock that will incorporate a Continuous Flow Intersection (CFI), also known as a Displaced Left Turn (DLT).

This is being developed for the intersection of State Highway 10 and Rodney Parham Road in Little Rock. See traffic simulation model here:

The CFI appears in the third phase of the video.

I remember that design being proposed a few years back for College Ave (71B) at Joyce Blvd near the mall, but I never figured out how they could do it with all the congestion in the area.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

M86

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 06, 2014, 08:36:10 AM
Quote from: M86 on February 06, 2014, 03:03:33 AM

My recommendations: 

Looking thru the website, I can't seem to find anything that indicates a two-way left turn lane has to do with a significant number of deaths.  Usually when cars are in this lane, they are slowing down, so when collisions occur, they are slower speed collisions, often times not resulting in deaths. 

Seems like a waste of time to focus on something that isn't really part of the problem.

The website is not going to cover everything.  The Toward Zero Deaths campaign focuses on safety.

Do you live in Arkansas?

The two-way left turn lane is a safety hazard.  Engineering 101.  Have there been deaths?  I don't know... but it sure is an accident magnet, and can result in a death.

I know AHTD is working on that... This falls into the "Access Management" area.

It's why I created this thread.  Those who live in Arkansas can say what they think can be changed to improve safety.

The main thing is safety!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.