News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-110 TX signed?

Started by Urban Prairie Schooner, July 09, 2010, 01:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Is it possible to cross the border on the I-110 bridge on foot, or approach the border on foot to take a sign photo?  IIRC, it is.  Since any crossing would be without a vehicle, the Customs hassles may be less.

As I understand it, I-110 ends at the border, so if you want to clinch the highway, you'll have to cross the border, which presumably means Customs scrutiny on the way back.  Whether traveling the southern end of the highwayg on foot counts, that's up to you.  

I drove into Juarez on I-110 in early 2009 (less dangerous then than now), spent about a half-hour there, then turned back.  I stopped at the Chamizal memorial, after visiting its counterpart in El Paso, which would've been my excuse to U.S. customs if they'd asked why I crossed into Mexico and what I did there.  There were long lines at U.S. customs (Mexican customs just waved me through), which was the most time-consuming part of the adventure.  
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Alps

Quote from: oscar on December 27, 2010, 04:03:19 PM

As I understand it, I-110 ends at the border, so if you want to clinch the highway, you'll have to cross the border, which presumably means Customs scrutiny on the way back.  Whether traveling the southern end of the highwayg on foot counts, that's up to you. 

Clinching doesn't require traveling every inch to most people.  A lot of people sight clinch - if you're within a few feet (say less than 500) and you can see the end, it counts.  In this case, I think U-turning before a customs booth qualifies.

agentsteel53

when crossing back into Yukon from Alaska, we were asked a brain-teaser of a question by the Canadian authorities: "given that you have told me that there are no drugs, if I were to search your car, would I find any surprises?"

wait, what??  I didn't know I was expected to answer logic puzzles.  How the fuck am I supposed to know what surprises them?  Probably drugs, but I had already answered that question when it was asked in a more straightforward question.  After I had been asked about four times if I had drugs, I said "look, just go and search the car already".  Apparently they were looking for my consent, at an international boundary?  

I hate the ridiculous "bad cop" type of questioning.  "You drove the Alaska highway in the dead of winter for ... tourism purposes???  You expect me to believe that?"  "No, it's past the equinox, so we drove it in early spring."  (I had the discretion to not add "you may believe or disbelieve that as you see fit, just quit being an asshole about it".)  Seriously, are they anticipating that by putting the heat on me, I'd sign a false confession and they'd meet their monthly quota?

well, they searched the car, found no drugs, and at that point waved us off, happy to get rid of us.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

corco

That's part of why I hate crossing borders for road purposes. The thought that an early 20s person would go to another country by themselves to drive some roads or see a piano concert is just inconceivable to customs officials, which is why I almost always get searched.

When I was in Washington, I crossed the border just to take a different way to northeastern Washington and when they asked my destination at the I-5 Peace Arch and I said "Spokane- just taking the scenic route" they weren't horribly amused and I got searched. I'm pretty sure you always need to have some sort of destination  that seems logical from the entry point to avoid being searched.

At this point I just expect I'll have my car searched when I cross the border and look at it as a pleasant surprise if it's not. I also tend to start shaking out of nervousness or something when talking to authorities, which makes me look really suspicious.

Max B. (FreewayTitan)

Quote from: sammack on December 24, 2010, 09:33:41 AM
Sorry to have missed this so long

The 110 shield and the new panels were installed as part of two sign rehab projs

El Paso 0924-00-059

El Paso 0924-00-067

What I would say too. Its such a short route that I anticipate that there won't be many other signs.

Fixed quote. - rmf67
Quite possibly AARoads youngest poster. But I don't let that get in my way.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.