News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Strange "M - N" sign on US 71 north of Joplin, MO?

Started by BigMattFromTexas, September 22, 2011, 10:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

I've never seen a sign like this before, what do the M and N stand for?
Is this something special to this place, or are there more signs like this in other places?

If you don't know what it looks like, here's street view.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=US+71&hl=en&ll=37.279076,-94.305751&spn=0.001473,0.003862&t=h&z=19&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=37.279076,-94.305751&panoid=mmB0my9mfkDnFuEOdP4Cmw&cbp=12,22.15,,0,5.94
BigMatt

J N Winkler

Translation:  Route M and Route N are accessed at the exit one mile away.

Missouri maintains a system of secondary state highways whose designations are letters rather than numbers.  Typically the designations appear in shields on advance guide and exit direction signs but in text (usually "Route M" or similar) on interchange sequence and post-interchange confirmation signs.  (MoDOT isn't a big fan of route shields on distance signs.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

US71

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 22, 2011, 10:42:53 PM
Translation:  Route M and Route N are accessed at the exit one mile away.

Missouri maintains a system of secondary state highways whose designations are letters rather than numbers.  Typically the designations appear in shields on advance guide and exit direction signs but in text (usually "Route M" or similar) on interchange sequence and post-interchange confirmation signs.  (MoDOT isn't a big fan of route shields on distance signs.)

That's beginning to change, though

Along MO 249 near Carterville

Along US 71 at Jane
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

M86

Quote from: US71 on September 22, 2011, 11:14:24 PM
That's beginning to change, though
Along MO 249 near Carterville

Along US 71 at Jane

I really hope that's beginning to change.   I hate seeing "Route X" or "Route XX"... or "Route I-44" with no shield on guide signs.

Added missing quote tag, removed images since they are already in the previous post

US71

Quote from: M86 on September 24, 2011, 02:11:12 AM

I really hope that's beginning to change.   I hate seeing "Route X" or "Route XX"... or "Route I-44" with no shield on guide signs.

I think signs are upgraded as MoDOT is replaces them.

But that doesn't explain the 360 signs along I-44: EB it says "To Route 60", but westbound it says "To ( 60 )"

(corrected wording)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

J N Winkler

I think it's still a mixed bag--the I-49 signing contract (mentioned in a parallel thread) has some instances of "I-44/I-49" in text, for example.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.