News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

South Dakota colored US highway shields

Started by route29, October 25, 2011, 11:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route29

Does anyone know the colors South Dakota used when they had colored US highway shields in the 50's-60's?  From what I've gathered from the AA Roads Shield Gallery:

• US 12 - yellow
  • US 212 - blue
  • US 18 - orange
  • US 16 - red
  • US 83 - yellow
Any others?

John

M86

I didn't see any colored US shields on AARoads for South Dakota... And I don't believe SD ever used them.  If you can provide some links and info, I'd be happy to see it!

US71

There was a US 16 shield last year on e-bay. The bottom part was green with yellow numbers.

I still have a copy of it (and my own mock-up) somewhere in my files.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

route29

M86

M86

I contacted SDDOT about the colored shields, and received the following email:

I have contacted some of the older traffic engineers, who are in-turn contacting some of the retired engineers to see if they have any knowledge on this issue; and will let you know as soon as I find out anything.

L**** *****
Operations Traffic Engineer
South Dakota DOT
700 East Broadway
Pierre, SD 57501
(605) 773-4759
fax (605) 773-2893

If it actually turns out to be anything, I'll let you know.  My guess is those at SDDOT currently have no idea.  But knowing my SDDOT, they won't fail me *crossing fingers*.

US71

Quote from: M86 on November 03, 2011, 12:54:18 AM
I contacted SDDOT about the colored shields, and received the following email:

I have contacted some of the older traffic engineers, who are in-turn contacting some of the retired engineers to see if they have any knowledge on this issue; and will let you know as soon as I find out anything.

L**** *****
Operations Traffic Engineer
South Dakota DOT
700 East Broadway
Pierre, SD 57501
(605) 773-4759
fax (605) 773-2893

If it actually turns out to be anything, I'll let you know.  My guess is those at SDDOT currently have no idea.  But knowing my SDDOT, they won't fail me *crossing fingers*.

I asked Arkansas once about colored shields and got an irrelevant answer.

M86

I have a reply from SDDOT:

"I had a chance to talk with George Xxxxxx, retired sign shop employee from way back when, 50, 60's

George said there never was any type of a program on the part of DOT to paint signs like shown in the photos.  George says it has to be an isolated incident of someone painting the signs for whatever reason.

Axxx Pxxxx"

Hmmm... I love the replies.  But, grrr.  Those shields have to be a state thing.  I tried! :)

US71

Quote from: M86 on November 17, 2011, 01:23:17 AM

Hmmm... I love the replies.  But, grrr.  Those shields have to be a state thing.  I tried! :)

Probably have to personally go through Hwy Dept archives. I asked a similar question once of AHTD and got told "we quit using cut-out signs in 1971".

Gee, thanks, but not what I was asking  :pan:

agentsteel53

I've seen the colored shields in collections and in field photos ... from all over the state.  if this was just one renegade, he sure was thorough!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

I just picked up a completely flat aluminum cutout South Dakota US 18.  It has the orange background behind the US and 18 part of the shield.  So it looks like the colored shields persisted into the era of flat shields, with "US" added back on. 

A lot of states, around 1950 or so, decided to omit "US" to allow for larger numbers.  Illinois, South Dakota, Minnesota, Kansas immediately come to mind.  Ohio and DC also made similar modifications, moving "US" into the crown. 

some states, like South Dakota, returned the the full "state/US/number" style in 1956 when the federal government re-affirmed the standard.  This US-18 sign is, I believe, such a late example.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 18, 2011, 09:21:56 PM
I just picked up a completely flat aluminum cutout South Dakota US 18.  It has the orange background behind the US and 18 part of the shield.  So it looks like the colored shields persisted into the era of flat shields, with "US" added back on. 

I'd love to see that when you get a photo   :nod:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.