News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Anyone play Cities: Skylines yet?

Started by Zeffy, March 12, 2015, 10:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thing 342

Quote from: vtk on March 14, 2015, 11:58:32 PM
I still think it's fallacy to assume a 32 bit machine can't address more than 4GB of RAM.  System architects just aren't being sufficiently creative.  After all, 16 bit machines weren't limited to 64KB of RAM.  But then, I suppose EMS and XMS maybe weren't elegant solutions...
There is PAE (Physical Address Extension), a kernel patch which allows you to use 36-bit addressing and thereby increases your maximum RAM to about 64GB. However, it only allows a a process to use up to 2GB of RAM, and breaks compatibility with NVIDIA drivers, rendering it pretty much useless for our scenario.

Thing 342

So I finally decided to purchase and download the game and I get the black screen error that about half of all Linux users seem to be getting. Sigh...

Roadrunner75

Quote from: vtk on March 13, 2015, 06:47:37 PM
Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on March 13, 2015, 11:35:17 AM
I've only ever played SimCity Classic
That's not something you hear too often in 2015
I had SimCity for my Commodore 64.  That's the version I probably played the most, although I think I had an early PC version too.  Somewhere around here I have a newer version, still in the box, for whenever I get around to installing it.  I'll probably leave that to my son, for when he's ready to play with it.  That being said, this newer stuff here looks really cool, and I wish I had the time to try it out.

Dr Frankenstein

The game itself is probably compiled in AMD64 machine code anyway, in which case there's no way it'll run on 32-bit systems.

Thing 342

Finally managed to get it running via a process that involved

• Uninstalling and reinstalling Steam
  • Purging and reinstalling all of my Nvidia drivers
  • Purging and reinstalling bumblebee and Primus
  • Purging and reinstalling my DE as well as xserver
  • And finally, re-downloading all of my games.
The joys of gaming on Linux. Anyways, I built a medium-sized city, population 10,200:

Eth

I downloaded the game Friday night and have been playing it almost non-stop since.

I just spent about half an hour replacing an underpowered cloverleaf with this...thing. You may get mildly seasick traversing this interchange (especially making the WB->SB movement), but it's effective.

Zeffy

It's probably better functioning than this, which I spent $27k on to improve traffic flow in the area! Suffice to say - it didn't work. That roundabout that isn't the interchange is constantly jammed, and the interchange has TRAFFIC SIGNALS from the offramps, leading to even more jams.

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

algorerhythms

I downloaded the game a couple days ago and have been playing it quite a bit since then. I like it so far, though I miss some of the data views from SC4 (specifically I'd like to be able to click on a road and see where the people using it are coming from and going to).

Also I learned the hard way to never build a hydroelectric dam. That's just asking for trouble.

edit -- made a "SPUI" (though not really, because the right turns are signaled)

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Roadrunner75

Quote from: kurumi on March 27, 2015, 12:01:24 PM
There's a nice FreewayJim-style driver's POV video
That's really cool.  The only thing I don't like (which was mentioned previously) is how abrupt the on and off-ramps are.

vtk

SPUIs can have signlized right turns.

Are there 2-lane highway elements? I only see 1-lane ramps and 3-lane mainlines. Some types of interchanges would be rather awkward with only those options...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Eth

Quote from: vtk on March 28, 2015, 07:31:12 PM
Are there 2-lane highway elements? I only see 1-lane ramps and 3-lane mainlines. Some types of interchanges would be rather awkward with only those options...

You could probably fake it with a one-way road, albeit at a lower design speed:

vdeane

Quote from: algorerhythms on March 25, 2015, 02:00:40 PM
I downloaded the game a couple days ago and have been playing it quite a bit since then. I like it so far, though I miss some of the data views from SC4 (specifically I'd like to be able to click on a road and see where the people using it are coming from and going to).

Also I learned the hard way to never build a hydroelectric dam. That's just asking for trouble.

edit -- made a "SPUI" (though not really, because the right turns are signaled)

The local one I go through multiple times a day has signalized right turns.  They turn green when the NY 7 to I-87 left turns do.  It's a good thing the signal is there; traffic is heavy and trying to turn during the other phases is pretty much impossible (one trick to making a right on red is to do so between phases when all approaches have red).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

algorerhythms

I guess you can have signalized right turns in a SPUI, then.

I played the game some more last night, and tried to build a Texas-style freeway with frontage roads, but I ran out of space because I annexed the wrong piece of land.

froggie

Pretty lengthy write-up of Cities: Skylines on a DC-area urbanist blog.  They go as far as to say that it outperforms SimCity.

http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/26174/cities-skylines-takes-over-simcitys-mantle-as-top-city-builder/

(Disclaimer:  the article author is a friend of mine)

Zeffy

I've recently found the perfect balance of game-play mods that make this game infinitely more fun. Here's a list with some download links:

1. All Spaces Unlockable
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=403798635

I'm sure everyone has this one already, but if you don't, it's a mod that allows you to purchase 25 tiles instead of the 9 that the default game restricts you too. This in turn means you can make a pretty huge metro area.

2. Tree Brush
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406723376

This one is good. It allows you to use the Numpad +/- keys while placing trees to turn it into a brush instead of individual placement. This allows you to decorate your city or roads easily.

3. Toggle Traffic Lights
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411833858

This one is a must have, especially when building interchanges. At any intersection, you can toggle the display and function of traffic signals by pressing CTRL+T. This is extremely useful when trying to build interchanges that sometimes may place a traffic signal at the end of a ramp when it shouldn't be there.

4. Terraform Tool
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411095553

This one is amazing. It allows you to use the map editor terraforming tools while in game. I have made great use of this to create more realistic highways that follow the grade of the land and not the other way around. It's not perfect, but it's still better than what you get originally.

5. Fine Road Heights
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413678178

EXTREMELY useful for those who want more realistic looking roadways. It decreases the slope placement from 12->3 meters when placing roads, so you can build smoother transitions and more realistic looking interchanges.

6. Stricter Slope Limits
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413311572

Ever wanted to make realistic looking interchanges in the game? Well, this mod will help (along with the above one). This mod makes it so slopes have to be pretty damn realistic otherwise you can't build it at all. Making stack interchanges just got a whole lot harder!
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

ce929wax

Can you make signs and put them in on this game?

intelati49

Quote from: ce929wax on March 31, 2015, 09:58:02 PM
Can you make signs and put them in on this game?

I don't think so. Yet anyways. I would think there will be some mods on that soon though.

algorerhythms

Yeah, that's totally supposed to happen:

lordsutch

Quote from: algorerhythms on April 04, 2015, 10:25:25 PM

Hurricane Katrina was a bitch, what can I say?

DeaconG

Quote from: lordsutch on April 05, 2015, 12:00:36 AM
Quote from: algorerhythms on April 04, 2015, 10:25:25 PM

Hurricane Katrina was a bitch, what can I say?

Nah, just another day at Carnival Cruise Lines...
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

JKRhodes

My current laptop meets the minimum requirements, but I'd want to have something that runs it smoothly. I'll likely get the game in a year or two after I purchase a new laptop.

Thing 342

Just found Cimtographer, a really cool mod that allows you to import and export cities to and from OSM files:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416064574&searchtext=

JoePCool14

I bought the game and for me its my first city-sim game, and its pretty good. The ramps though are really awkward and I was trying to create a freeway through downtown with a one way frontage road, it looks awful because of it. Mods are the only hope at the moment.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

jakeroot

I had to buy a new PC to play it:

Can't tell you whats in the above image because even I'm not 100% sure. I just started drawing roads and I came up with this.

FWIW, other than the freeways and in one small instance, I've used only two lane roads. I have a lot of one-way roads in the city centre.

The freeway-to-freeway junction in the bottom left is, while functionally complete, not to my liking. I'm going to change a few things and I'll post again here when I've finished.

I think the best way to build freeways in this game is to use frontage roads/express lanes. I'll go into further detail at another time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.