Hike Across Delaware - November 2015?

Started by skaguy, June 15, 2015, 10:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skaguy

I have zero affiliation with this particular group and have not participated in this in the past.  However, I had a crazy idea that it would be fun to walk across the state of Delaware in a day and found this event, which is a 14 mile hike that would start/finish in Delaware City, DE.  There has not been a date set for 2015, but I would assume there's one coming at some point as it is an annual event, likely around the same time as it was last year.  My girlfriend and I both plan on doing this and wondered if anyone else may be interested.  Afterwards, we would probably go to either Longhorn Steakhouse or Texas Roadhouse up in Bear, DE and grab a big ol' steak.  We would be coming from the DC metro area and probably wouldn't hang around after eating on Saturday.  However, with an 8 am start time, I'm certain we would get a hotel somewhere the night before the hike. 

http://www.wilmingtontrailclub.org/Hiking/HikeAcrossDelaware/tabid/96/Default.aspx

The hike would make for an interesting view going underneath the Summit Bridge on US 301/DE 71/DE 896, the William V. Roth, Jr. Bridge on DE 1, the St. Georges Bridge on US 13, and a railroad bridge as well.  There's also the option to walk 8 miles of it and then a bus can take you back to Delaware City for those who may not be able to finish.  The 8 mile portion would still give views of the four bridges.  It looks pretty flat, so I think it would be more of an endurance/distant type of hike.  I would have a CamelBak and some protein bars for the hike and would certainly recommend something similar for anyone interested.

This is certainly different than anything I've seen on here and would likely exclude some people.  However, I thought that some people may be interested.  If for some reason this event doesn't happen, I would still like to hike the state in a day.

Dougtone

I'd actually have some interest in this, depending on when it is and if it's compatible with my schedule.

SCH-I545

jeffandnicole

That sounds very interesting. 

BTW, yes, in that area, Delaware is extremely flat!  Other than along the arch that makes up the border between PA & DE, there isn't much change in elevation to speak of in Delaware.

KEK Inc.

You guys should fly to the west coast.  :P   The Denny Creek Trail in King County, WA, starts in the wide median of I-90 on the western descent of Snoqualamie Pass.  This trail has 3000' vertical and is about 8 miles roundtrip.   

The image above is just the westbound lanes of I-90 and is about 1/4 a mile from the trailhead.  Here's the GSV on the causeway above.

The eastbound lanes are about 1/2 mile south.  There's several waterfalls and a nice lake at the end of the trail.  There's a ton of trails near I-90 including a 2 mile dark abandoned railroad tunnel.

Take the road less traveled.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Dougtone on June 16, 2015, 11:28:04 AM
I'd actually have some interest in this, depending on when it is and if it's compatible with my schedule.
Same here.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

skaguy

I'm glad to see there's some interest.  I'll keep everyone updated when I find out more.

Alps

I'm potentially in, weather dependent.

Takumi

Depends on when. I have car friends in Wilmington, so I could make this a two-purpose trip.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Laura

Dougtone

It looks like there will not be a scheduled 2015 hike across Delaware, due to trail reconstruction. It's too bad, I was looking forward to the hike.

http://www.wilmingtontrailclub.org/

I wonder if such a hike could be planned on our own.

skaguy

Quote from: Dougtone on July 31, 2015, 04:53:12 PM
It looks like there will not be a scheduled 2015 hike across Delaware, due to trail reconstruction. It's too bad, I was looking forward to the hike.

http://www.wilmingtontrailclub.org/

I wonder if such a hike could be planned on our own.
I would be interested in it, especially since I started the topic.  However, it appears very likely I'll be moving out of DC in the next couple months.  I'm not sure exactly where I'll end up, but it could be far away.  The 2016 hike may be more realistic for me to attend and this is near the top of my bucket list of things to do at some point.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.