News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2017 Southeast Adirondacks Meet - July 8

Started by cl94, October 02, 2016, 10:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Possible Glens Falls/Lake George meet date?

June 24
5 (45.5%)
July 8
11 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 11

tckma

Quote from: froggie on October 20, 2016, 07:15:39 PM
Quote from: cl94The biggest problem is that I could really make the stuff in Eastern Washington County and SW Vermont into its own meet, but the area is so rural that the meeting location would need to be quite far away.

Not necessarily.  Besides a number of local restaurants, there's a Chili's in Bennington.  Doug has also held a meet in Bennington proper in the past.

Rutland?  Montpelier?

cl94

A Rutland meet is definitely a possibility for the future. That would definitely be a bridge-focused meet.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

froggie

Not much in the way of non-run-of-the-mill bridges in the Rutland area, unless you range up to Pittsford.  Which bridges did you have in mind?

cl94

Quote from: froggie on October 24, 2016, 06:10:23 PM
Not much in the way of non-run-of-the-mill bridges in the Rutland area, unless you range up to Pittsford.  Which bridges did you have in mind?

I was thinking of the covered bridges SE and N of Rutland, including the 4 in Pittsford. If it didn't take so long to drive across the state, I'd say the ones in Woodstock and Quechee as well
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: cl94 on October 24, 2016, 07:45:56 PM
Quote from: froggie on October 24, 2016, 06:10:23 PM

I was thinking of the covered bridges SE and N of Rutland, including the 4 in Pittsford. If it didn't take so long to drive across the state, I'd say the ones in Woodstock and Quechee as well

Quechee is pretty cool. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

A Quechee/WRJ-based meet could be a consideration.  And is close enough to where I could scout and run it.

cl94

If you want to run something out there, be my guest. There is quite a bit of stuff out that way and you could probably include the new US 4 bridge over the Connecticut River that replaced the Bailey bridge.

vdeane

Sounds like a replay of the 2013 Lebanon meet, minus Tom Tom.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

...which involved what, specifically? (since I was on deployment for it)

cl94

We could get enough new people to make it worthwhile. I wasn't there, either.

As far as another possibility for a future year, I'll throw Kingston, NY out there. Quite a few oddities in that area that I don't think will be disappearing anytime soon.

hbelkins

I couldn't go to the Tom Tom meet for some now-unknown reason (scheduling conflict with something at work, I think). So anything on the tour would be new to me, provided I haven't already seen it during one of my few forays into Vermont.

Kingston has some old signs, plenty of button copy, a couple of circular KY-NJ-DE-MS-IA style 9W signs, and an interstate that ends at a roundabout on one end and a traffic light at the other and has no connections in between.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on October 26, 2016, 10:45:39 PM
Kingston has some old signs, plenty of button copy, a couple of circular KY-NJ-DE-MS-IA style 9W signs, and an interstate that ends at a roundabout on one end and a traffic light at the other and has no connections in between.

All of the old signs were still there as of today. There's also a few covered bridges nearby (including one Burr Arch that is the second-oldest covered bridge in the state), a suspension bridge, and a boatload of the old county outline CR markers. Nothing there will go anywhere unless someone crashes into them.

vdeane

The Lebanon meet started at Tom Tom with pizza, a presentation, and a tour of their office (and "street view" car).  We attempted to see the I-89 bridges over the river but there wasn't a place to stop and see them.  We saw the Bailey Bridge and the Quechee and Woodstock covered bridges.  We ended with a stop at Quechee Gorge before heading back.  The car I was in stopped at the train station because Adam Moss was with us.  There was a post-meet dinner somewhere, which I wasn't at because I wanted to start heading back to Rome while there was still at least a little light out.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

I'm going to tentatively schedule this thing for June 24. It'll be less crazy (New York schools are just getting out), easier for people to get hotel rooms and likely not as hot/humid. If there is interest, I'm thinking of doing a pre-meet in Rensselaer, Washington and Bennington Counties focusing on covered bridges (5 to be exact) and the goodies in Shushan. Meet up in Schaghticoke or at one of the church parking lots closer to Buskirk and make our way north to minimize deadheading.

noelbotevera

I'm disqualified. This meet is well outside my reach (7 hours or so to get here - not a problem for everyone else, but a problem for me).

dgolub

I'm definitely interested and will come as long as I can make the logistics work out.

froggie

Since I didn't mention anything before, I'm taking a wait-and-see for that day.  Theoretically, I'll be around, but I don't know what summertime things may be thrown my way for that weekend.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

I could theoretically push it back to July 8, but it would a) be hotter and b) more crowded with tourists

cl94

Alright, I updated the poll to only include 2 dates. Choose whichever dates work for you. If both dates work and you want to attend, check both. I'll choose whichever has more people.

vdeane

I voted for July 8; judging on past years, there's about a 50/50 chance I'll be able to make June 24 as well.

baugh17

Quote from: cl94 on January 19, 2017, 08:45:11 PM
I'm going to tentatively schedule this thing for June 24. It'll be less crazy (New York schools are just getting out), easier for people to get hotel rooms and likely not as hot/humid. If there is interest, I'm thinking of doing a pre-meet in Rensselaer, Washington and Bennington Counties focusing on covered bridges (5 to be exact) and the goodies in Shushan. Meet up in Schaghticoke or at one of the church parking lots closer to Buskirk and make our way north to minimize deadheading.

I'm open to either date.  But just wanted to mention that while, yes, schools will just be letting out for the summer, most upstate New York districts will probably be holding their graduation ceremonies the weekend of the 24th which may make getting a hotel room tricky for those who may need one.

cl94

Quote from: baugh17 on January 22, 2017, 11:54:12 PM
Quote from: cl94 on January 19, 2017, 08:45:11 PM

I'm open to either date.  But just wanted to mention that while, yes, schools will just be letting out for the summer, most upstate New York districts will probably be holding their graduation ceremonies the weekend of the 24th which may make getting a hotel room tricky for those who may need one.

I completely forgot about that. Thanks.

Rothman

I don't know how much of an effect high school graduations will affect hotel reservations.  I'd imagine most grandparents or whatnot stay with their families.  Also, at least Bethlehem Central's commencement will be on the 23rd, so the strange schedule this year may not affect the weekend much.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Looks like the response for July 8 was overwhelming. Combining that with the June date being HS graduation weekend, I will set a firm date of July 8. Lunch will be 11-11:30 at a restaurant on/just north of NY 254 (likely Harvest Restaurant, but possibly Pizzeria Uno or Applebee's if they aren't willing to take a reservation) with carpool parking likely at the Hannaford at the intersection of NY 254 and Warren CR 7. I'll make a Facebook event and post to the NE Roads Facebook group this week.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.