News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2017 New River Gorge Bridge/Beckley WV Meet is now Sat., April 8

Started by hbelkins, February 17, 2017, 06:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What date do you prefer for a New River Gorge/Beckley WV area meet?

Saturday, March 25
1 (12.5%)
Saturday, April 1
7 (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: February 24, 2017, 06:33:51 PM

vdeane

Quote from: hbelkins on March 07, 2017, 08:23:02 PM
Quote from: vdeane on March 07, 2017, 12:32:40 PM
Any idea when you might find out when the training is rescheduled for?

Found out yesterday. It's May 3. So it will not conflict with the meet.

Glad I didn't have it scheduled for this weekend. They're predicting a big snow for that part of West Virginia.

I should get the itinerary up by the end of the week.
Awesome!  This is definitely a trip I'm looking forward to.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

okroads

Also posted this on Facebook but currently 99% likely that I will be going. Current plan is to leave Columbus early Saturday morning then spend the night somewhere in WV Saturday night before clinching some WV routes and counties Sunday on the way back. I have not seen the gorge area before and haven't driven through Beckley on the WV Turnpike in 12 years, so I am looking forward to seeing this area in more detail and getting some updated pictures.

noelbotevera

Quote from: hbelkins on March 08, 2017, 11:10:48 AM
Quote from: noelbotevera on March 07, 2017, 09:35:13 PM
Sorry I keep asking questions (I tend to do so a lot), but I'm wondering how to clinch CR 82. Google says it ends at WV 16 in Fayetteville, uses Keller Avenue, turns left onto Fayette Station Road (and intersects US 19 before the arch bridge), and follows Fayette Station Road up until its end at CR 5.

The WV county maps are HORRIBLY unclear, so that's why I used Google.

It doesn't end at CR 5. Our tour route will use CR 5 from US 19, then turn right onto the Fayette Station portion of CR 82. CR 5 ends there; you can either turn right onto CR 82 (Fayette Station) or continue straight onto CR 82 (Lansing-Edmond Road).
Wow, CR 82 is longer than I thought. I actually thought CR 82 was just Fayette Station and that's it.

hbelkins

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 08, 2017, 03:32:31 PM
Sorry I keep asking questions (I tend to do so a lot), but I'm wondering how to clinch CR 82. Google says it ends at WV 16 in Fayetteville, uses Keller Avenue, turns left onto Fayette Station Road (and intersects US 19 before the arch bridge), and follows Fayette Station Road up until its end at CR 5.

It doesn't end at CR 5. Our tour route will use CR 5 from US 19, then turn right onto the Fayette Station portion of CR 82. CR 5 ends there; you can either turn right onto CR 82 (Fayette Station) or continue straight onto CR 82 (Lansing-Edmond Road).
Wow, CR 82 is longer than I thought. I actually thought CR 82 was just Fayette Station and that's it.

As we were discussing in another thread somewhere, there's really no rhyme or reasoning to the numbering of WV county roads. You can be traveling on a "whole number" route and then it will turn off to dead-end up some holler somewhere, and the through route will continue as a "fractional" route.

noelbotevera

Quote from: hbelkins on March 08, 2017, 02:12:04 PM
Preliminary meet itinerary is up at http://www.millenniumhwy.net/2017NewRiverGorgeMeetItinerary.pdf
Huh. Seems pretty simple. By the way, any updates? I'm just wondering, as there's three weeks until the meet.

hbelkins

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 11, 2017, 10:48:19 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 08, 2017, 02:12:04 PM
Preliminary meet itinerary is up at http://www.millenniumhwy.net/2017NewRiverGorgeMeetItinerary.pdf
Huh. Seems pretty simple. By the way, any updates? I'm just wondering, as there's three weeks until the meet.

No updates. Only thing that might change is the time. I might push the start back to 10:30 instead of 10 a.m.

As we get closer, I'll try to get a better handle on who's going to be there. Right now I only have a couple or so of RSVPs on the Facebook page and one that was sent by private email. I'm guessing this will be a rather small meet.

74/171FAN

I am almost certain that I am coming.  I just need to finalize my route plan and room stuff  (which I may have plenty of time to do Tuesday with the impending snowstorm).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Bitmapped

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 08, 2017, 03:32:31 PM

CR 82 runs from WV 16 in Fayetteville to US 60 near Winona. It was previously WV 82, which is why the route number turns several times onto different roads.

noelbotevera

About 10 days have passed, and 13 more to go. Not sure if anything's changed, but I'm set on going.

hbelkins

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 19, 2017, 12:24:30 AM
About 10 days have passed, and 13 more to go. Not sure if anything's changed, but I'm set on going.

Still no changes. As stated previously, the only possible change that can be foreseen at this point is pushing the start time back to 10:30 instead of 10. That decision won't be made until next Monday and depends whether or not UK is in the NCAA Final Four. If Kentucky plays and is in the late game on that Saturday night, pushing back until 10:30 is a possibility.

jpi

Steph and I are out, I have to work some O.T. that weekend then head to Pittsburgh a few days later. Hope you guys have fun, it is a beautiful part of West Virginia  :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

Update ... well, there isn't really much of an update.

So far, I have the following attending: the Curley family, Alex and his father, Eric Stuve, Mark Moore, Rob Sargent, Daniel Westfall, Valerie Deane, Mike Tantillo and John Verrier. Corey Dukes has to work so he won't be able to make it. Any other takers out there?

Also, someone please bring a tripod and be prepared to take the group photos. I've never used the self-timer function of my camera before so I don't trust it.

noelbotevera

Adding +2 here. My mom and older brother are coming along to the meet (because of sudden last minute decisions). Which, also disqualifies our car for carpooling (it can fit five (three back seats) but someone has to sit in the middle. I'm pretty sure a lot of people know that feeling of being in the middle). They may or may not be in the photo.

My dad also has his leave approved for April 1st (works night shift, so this is really night of 3/31 to morning of 4/1). So there's 2 families coming along to account for. 8 days remain, and it's all smooth cruising from here.

hbelkins

Carpooling will only be a factor for the afternoon part of the tour. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone who attends decides to drive down into the gorge just to set their own itineraries for stops. That's why I set it up as self-guiding. People can do the morning tour down CR 82 at their own pace, stopping where they want for pictures.

I won't be able to take anyone with me on either leg of the meet. My vehicle stays full of stuff and all the other seats will have items in them so there's no room for any passengers.

noelbotevera

Speaking of hotels, has anyone ever been to the Super 8 in Summersville? I've heard Super 8s tend to be hit and miss, but I'm uncertain about this one. I've read TripAdvisor and it's generally average. Just want to know people's opinion here.

Laura

Quote from: hbelkins on February 27, 2017, 09:44:13 AM
Quote from: Laura on February 26, 2017, 10:39:24 PM
Wait, no formal meet lunch or post meet dinner? Any special reason?

iPhone

The tour down into the gorge is designed to be an at-your-own-pace tour. There are several stopping points, but everyone may not want to stop at every possible place. Some people may want to stop at every pull-out, others may want to just hit the highlights, others may not want to stop anywhere and just drive Fayette Station Road. That's why I set it up as lunch on your own. Whenever you finish up with Fayette Station Road, you can eat wherever you wish, on your own or in small groups, before reconvening in Beckley for the construction part of the tour.

As for after-meet gatherings, I've never really been a fan of them. I'm usually departing the meet locale for some pre-planned destination once the tour is over. If those who attend want to go to dinner together once the afternoon tour is over, they're free to set something up.

The western Kentucky/I-69 meet I'm thinking about doing later this year will probably include the traditional lunch prior to the tour. This meet lends itself better to a "no formal lunch" format due to the logistics.

Ahh, gotcha. Makes sense.

husband and I will be coming!!!

dgolub

noelbotevera

74/171FAN

Posted from the Facebook Event for HB:

"For those of you coming from a distance, what is the latest I can cancel this meet and reschedule it? I've had a flare-up of sciatia and I don't know if I will be able to come. I've been confined to a recliner and not able to stand or walk without suffering excruciating pain."

Please see the Facebook Event for more info.  Some of us will probably just meet up down there anyway.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1578391525521708/permalink/1615171491843711/?notif_t=event_mall_reply&notif_id=1490751721518995
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

okroads

Per HB on the Facebook event page, the meet has been postponed to Saturday, April 8.

I'm still planning on driving down to WV this Saturday and know several others are as well, but I will likely leave Columbus a little later Saturday morning and explore the areas on my own as part of a larger multi-day trip I had planned on taking.

noelbotevera

This is not good....

My dad DID reserve leave on April 8th, BUT the Super 8 we reserved did not allow cancellation. Now, it is much more convenient that is the 8th, but we do have to pay $135. I was unable to tell my dad in advance because of how sudden this was.

I'm also not even sure if his leave is approved for April 8th, as he did it 2-3 weeks before that date. He has a good chance (over 60-70%), but there's still that chance of his leave being denied.

The good that comes from this is that I'm not rushed to get down to West Virginia after having to go to Dulles (family issues), but my dad isn't happy about this. I'll PROBABLY go down anyway, but I'm not certain.

Hope HB gets better.

jpi

Hope HB gets better, it is a shame this got postponed for you guys, I was on the fence on this too up until a couple weeks ago, I will be thinking of you guys that Saturday while I am 3 hours north in Pittsburgh selling toy cars
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Duke87

It sounds like the best way to handle things at this point, since quite a few people have committed to hotel reservations and/or time off surrounding this weekend, is to simply have the meet go on without its intended host - have one of the attendees take over as lead and have H.B. forward the tour notes along to said person. There is precedent for this, it happened with the Ottawa meet in 2012.

While I am not attending this meet, if I had been planning on doing so I would be completely unable to reschedule my trip at this point and would still be driving to West Virginia this weekend. I imagine quite a few of the attendees are in a similar situation. Attempting to reschedule the meet is going to result in only a few people showing up while everyone else either still gathers this weekend or attends neither.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

I'm back...

I had an intense flareup of pain in my right hip and leg, so severe that i could not get up and go to work Monday, Tuesday or today. I went to the hospital today and was diagnosed with piriformis syndrome. The piriformis is the big muscle that surrounds the sciatic nerve and causes symptoms similar to sciatia.

I was given a few days' supply of pain and anti-inflammatory medicine, but there's no way I will be able to make it on Saturday. Therefore, I am officially rescheduling the meet for Saturday, April 8, using the same agenda previously presented.

I know some of you can't change your travel plans and are planning on going this weekend despite my absence. That's perfectly understandable. If I need to tweak the meet notes for your benefit, please let me know.

I will be there next Saturday, the 8th, in case anyone wants to postpone their trip a week and come on the official meet date. No hard feelings for those of you who need to come this weekend because of prior arrangements.

Please just let me know who is going to be there this weekend and who plans to come next weekend when I will be there.

I hope none of you ever come down with piriformis syndrome or sciatica. It's the most painful thing I've ever dealt with. I was unable to get up out of my recliner without suffering agonizing pain. i'm just hoping that the pain subsides enough for me to go to work Thursday and Friday, and to be able to head to WV next week/weekend as previously planned.

Again, just sound off on who's going to the cancelled meet and who's coming to the rescheduled meet.

My apologies to all, but this was something that was totally unavoidable. I have no idea what caused the piriformis syndrome to pay a visit to me.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.