News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What happened to your classmates after high school?

Started by ColossalBlocks, April 27, 2017, 07:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColossalBlocks

What has happened to your classmates out of high school?

One offed himself off a highway into the Missouri River, another got into the wrong crowd and is now serving a life sentence without parole, and several have jobs they absolutely hate.

So how about your classmates?
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

US 41

Half of my class is either married or has kids (or both) and I've been out of school for less than two years.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

TravelingBethelite

Should I find a time machine? That might help me.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

SignGeek101

Haven't really followed many of them honestly. Most went to post secondary of some sort (trades, college, university), but haven't really kept up. Don't know anyone who is in prison currently.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 27, 2017, 08:11:41 PM
How should I know?

You'll know eventually.

DaBigE

"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

1995hoo

About the only time I saw any of them, except a few I saw in college, was two or three years ago at the funeral Mass for a popular teacher at my high school who died way too young. I don't have a lot of interest in reconnecting with most people I knew in high school.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

Most have gotten married and/or had kids. A few have died. A few have successful careers. A few have none of those things.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

oscar

There were more than 600 in my high school graduating class. Many of them were tracked down for our reunions every five years, some of which I've been attended. A real mixed bag, from successes to failures, and some deaths (natural, suicide, and otherwise), as you'd expect in a large group in my age range.

The safest generalization is that most everybody who stayed in or near my hometown has gone through two area code changes, from 714 to 619 then 760. My landline phone number hasn't changed since 1981, when I moved to an area unaffected by area code splits. So I might have the longest-lived phone number in my class.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Max Rockatansky

Most of the people I know stayed in Michigan around the general area where they grew up.  Apparently it was a really big deal that I was one of the few people in my class to move to the west coast (Arizona) when I was 18...I guess people just really didn't do that back then?  There was one girl I knew who eventually moved to a couple years after me Scottsdale and then Miami around the same time I was in Florida myself. 

bandit957

Might as well face it, pooing is cool

slorydn1

A few joined the Chicago PD, one or 2 Chicago FD, a few lawyers, one doctor that I know of (yes 1995hoo I know that lawyers are doctors too, LOL),  and at least one is now a permanent deacon (Catholic school and all of that). None went on to the priesthood although a number of us took the next step after high school. After 1 year I decided that I liked woman just a little to much to be able to wear the collar.

One died in a crash, 2 died from cancer, one blew his brains out. So 4 of the 45 (almost 9%) of my graduating class (1988) is no longer with us.

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

SP Cook

kphoger

I visited my high school a few years after graduation, when I was back in town for a wedding.  My English teacher said, "Let's see, which class were...ohhh, you were the class from hell."  That describes us pretty well.  I haven't kept up with any of them.  Nor do I want to.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

PHLBOS

Two of my five high-school cross-country team-mates from my graduating class have since died.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

tribar

Doctor Whom

Many of them went on to graduate or professional school. Yes, my high school was in one of those suburbs.

And yes, they got older. Some of the football stars and toothpick-thin boys became generously upholstered men.

kphoger

I actually found out that one of the most popular girls in my class is now married to maybe the least desirable guy in town–a lazy float-through-life kind of guy, old enough to be her dad, only cared about his dog and football.  He used to take care of the family farm for half the year, then drive down to Belize and fish off the coast for the other half.  (Quite different from his brother, who used to be the governor of Kansas.)  They're now happily married with children.  This I only found out because I work with his cousin, and he mentioned her name in casual conversation.

Once, I called a former classmate to check in and see how life was going for her (you do weird things like that when you're in between girlfriends), and she mentioned also not having any desire at all to go to a class reunion or in any way keep up with most of our class.  Our class was just full of terrible people.  For example, our senior class motto was vetoed by the principal, and several classmates were threatened with not graduating because of their on-stage behavior during the senior play.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

There were 102 people in my graduating class. Like just about any other high school class, be it small like mine or bigger like someone upthread who said there were 600 graduates in his class (our entire school had fewer than 500 students in four grades), there's going to be a wide range of fates for those students.

I still see a few of my classmates since I live in my hometown, but I don't actively seek out contact with them. I haven't seen my best friend and first-semester-of-college roommate in nearly seven years, and had not seen him in a lot longer than that before then. I went to my 10-year reunion, whereupon I spent most of the evening talking to someone from an adjacent county who had married one of my classmates. I have not been back to a class reunion since and probably won't go.

High school was not the most pleasurably memorable time for me. I was nerdy/geeky, painfully shy (there's a line in "Walk This Way" that describes me pretty well), known as one of the smart kids, got nearly straight A's, was in the band, not athletic, not a flashy dresser, didn't drive a fancy car, etc. I wasn't in the "in crowd" although a lot of people thought I was. I was the kid everyone asked for help with their homework but was excluded from a lot of social activities.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

xcellntbuy

LM117

Class of 2007 checking in. 3 guys (that I know of) are/were in jail, most recent one having been busted 3 weeks ago for possessing weed. One got busted for using stolen checks and the other for "possession of a firearm by a convicted felon", along with drug charges. Welcome to eastern North Carolina. :-D

One girl got married in 2010 and had 3 kids since then, another girl went to Pennsylvania to become a linguist, one moved to South Carolina, two other girls became nurses, one guy became a teacher at at the same high school we graduated from and another guy runs his own tree removal business.

Other than that, I have no clue.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

inkyatari

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Darkchylde

I spent so much time in high school either asleep, drunk, or high that I have no idea who the hell most of my classmates even were, much less what any of them are doing now. Nor do I have any desire to find out.

Duke87

What I find uncanny is how the town I went to high school in seems to have been a place people got the hell out of. I only know of one person I went to high school with who actually still lives there, he's a public school teacher. Two others are still in Connecticut, but moved to different towns. Everyone else who I've had any post-high school interaction with moved to a different state - by my count there's one in Maine, five in New York (including myself), two in Colorado, one in Florida, and one in Louisiana.

Of course, there's also over 400 more people in my graduating class that I've had zero contact with since high school. I wouldn't be surprised if a decent number of them actually haven't left, and I just tended to associate with the ones who had the means and desire to leave like I did.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.