It's 2017 and I still can't believe that...

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 04, 2017, 10:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

...anyone under the age of 30 smokes cigarettes.

OracleUsr

Someone beat Alabama in the title game (GO TIGERS)

I lost the game...AGAIN
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

dvferyance

I-72 in Missouri still isn't finished. The Denver beltway is still only 3/4th done. The last K Mart hasn't closed yet. Wal Mart still sells cigarettes. Cities like Indianapolis and Nashville still have no rail. I-43 on Milwaukee's north shore is still only 4 lanes.

I-39

Quote from: dvferyance on July 14, 2017, 02:38:00 PM
I-72 in Missouri still isn't finished. The Denver beltway is still only 3/4th done. The last K Mart hasn't closed yet. Cities like Indianapolis and Nashville still have no rail. I-43 on Milwaukee's north shore is still only 4 lanes.

It will be years (if ever) before I-72 is finished in Missouri. More likely that I-57 is finished in the southeastern part of the state.

Everything else I agree 100%, especially the part about Indianapolis and Nashville not having rail.

iBallasticwolf2

Well I would like to say some very political things right here, but that would start a nasty comment war that would get this thread locked, so instead I would like to say something more broad and agreeable (at least I'd like to think so).

It's sad that people are still so selfish and greedy that they will willingly take advantage of less fortunate people for their own gains, and it's also sad that people are willing to kill each other over petty things.
(DO NOT start comment war over this, please)
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

I-39

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 14, 2017, 09:10:26 PM
It's sad that people are still so selfish and greedy that they will willingly take advantage of less fortunate people for their own gains, and it's also sad that people are willing to kill each other over petty things.

Unfortunately, that has been the case since the beginning of time, and will continue to happen until the end of time....  :-/

JJBers

that we believed that Dec. 21, 2012 was going to end the world
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: I-39 on July 14, 2017, 09:19:42 PM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 14, 2017, 09:10:26 PM

Unfortunately, that has been the case since the beginning of time, and will continue to happen until the end of time....  :-/
Your completely right, but I'd like to think that humanity has made some progress in certain locations, because the quality of life and poverty levels are much better than they were 100 years ago, but whether that will continue is questionable. 
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

dvferyance

Quote from: I-39 on July 14, 2017, 09:05:14 PM
I-72 in Missouri still isn't finished. The Denver beltway is still only 3/4th done. The last K Mart hasn't closed yet. Cities like Indianapolis and Nashville still have no rail. I-43 on Milwaukee's north shore is still only 4 lanes.

It will be years (if ever) before I-72 is finished in Missouri. More likely that I-57 is finished in the southeastern part of the state.

Everything else I agree 100%, especially the part about Indianapolis and Nashville not having rail.
What I should have said is I am surprised that at least more of I-72 hasn't been completed in Missouri. I would think more would exist now that that little stub just west of Illinois.

US71

Quote from: JJBers on July 14, 2017, 09:35:40 PM

or 01-01-00
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

I-39

Quote from: dvferyance on July 14, 2017, 09:57:45 PM
Quote from: I-39 on July 14, 2017, 09:05:14 PM

What I should have said is I am surprised that at least more of I-72 hasn't been completed in Missouri. I would think more would exist now that that little stub just west of Illinois.

They've tried to extend it west to US 24, but the FHWA won't allow it.

21stCenturyRoad

That SunPass and EZPass are still not interoperable with each other  :hmmm:
The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

formulanone

Quote from: 21stCenturyRoad on July 15, 2017, 10:05:43 AM

I think they're all so heavily invested in Toll-by-Plate that they really don't care anymore.

People groused about it 15 years ago, and it's funny how North Carolina responded to the challenge, but Florida's Turnpike Enterprise hasn't.

I-39

Quote from: 21stCenturyRoad on July 15, 2017, 10:05:43 AM

Or that there is not a universal transponder that works on every toll road system in the United States.

Also, that there still isn't a lot of smartphone applications to help with paying tolls.

hbelkins

US 36 across Missouri is fine just as it is. It's not heavily traveled, there are grade-separated interchanges at most major crossroads, and the at-grades that do exist are not really in need of upgrading. Leave it as it is. It doesn't need to be a full freeway. (Just like US 31 in Indiana or US 220 in Virginia.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ZLoth

- That I have to double-check when purchasing to see if the clock can set itself, or if I have to set it manually
- That some retailers still use swipe technology in their card reader technology, and have the chip slot taped up.
- That reducing costs trump everything including good customer service and good security practices
- It still takes forever for the DMV to process some simple tasks
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

hbelkins

Quote from: ZLoth on July 15, 2017, 11:37:32 PM
- That some retailers still use swipe technology in their card reader technology, and have the chip slot taped up.

Have I said lately how much I hate the chip reader and prefer swiping my card?  :bigass:

Having said that, I recently went to mail something at the Jackson, Ky. post office and noticed that their card readers have the chip portion blocked with a notation to use the swipe function. I found that very ironic, considering that the government mandated the conversion to chip technology. The postal clerk shared my feeling of irony when I noted it aloud.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

I-39

Quote from: hbelkins on July 15, 2017, 11:24:58 PM
US 36 across Missouri is fine just as it is. It's not heavily traveled, there are grade-separated interchanges at most major crossroads, and the at-grades that do exist are not really in need of upgrading. Leave it as it is. It doesn't need to be a full freeway. (Just like US 31 in Indiana or US 220 in Virginia.)

I do think the southern section of US 31 in Indiana between Kokomo and IN 38 should be converted to freeway, but the rest is fine for the foreseeable future (although the pavement needs to be rebuilt on the older sections in between the freeway segments). Other than that, I agree with everything else you said.

jp the roadgeek

- It still takes forever for the DMV to process some simple tasks

Tell that to my DMV, who is going from taking 5 minutes to produce your license to giving you a temporary license and having you wait 6 weeks to wait to get your new license by snail mail.  Which brings me to another point: I still can't believe that people use snail mail other than to receive physical goods. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: hbelkins on July 16, 2017, 01:52:05 PM
Having said that, I recently went to mail something at the Jackson, Ky. post office and noticed that their card readers have the chip portion blocked with a notation to use the swipe function. I found that very ironic, considering that the government mandated the conversion to chip technology. The postal clerk shared my feeling of irony when I noted it aloud.

Which law was that? I was under the impression that the processing companies were behind the shift.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

US71

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 16, 2017, 02:44:37 PM

Which law was that? I was under the impression that the processing companies were behind the shift.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/emv-chip-credit-cards-required-law/

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: US71 on July 16, 2017, 03:59:14 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 16, 2017, 02:44:37 PM

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/emv-chip-credit-cards-required-law/

This article seems to contradict the claim:

QuoteOctober 1, 2015, is the day of the much-discussed EMV liability shift – the reason your credit cards now have or will soon have chips embedded in them. But who decided that? Did the U.S. government pass a law requiring it? In short, no.

That "in short" bit might be hiding something, though, but what?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kkt

Quote from: JJBers on July 14, 2017, 09:35:40 PM

What do you mean "we," kemosabe?

US71

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 16, 2017, 04:46:56 PM

QuoteOctober 1, 2015, is the day of the much-discussed EMV liability shift – the reason your credit cards now have or will soon have chips embedded in them. But who decided that? Did the U.S. government pass a law requiring it? In short, no.

That "in short" bit might be hiding something, though, but what?

The credit card companies did it voluntarily after the government threatened to pass a law. Maybe the law would have been more stringent?

vdeane

Have I said lately how much I hate the chip reader and prefer swiping my card?  :bigass:

You might like the Wegmans chip card readers.  They process the transaction after removing the card rather than while it's inserted, so the card is in and out of one's wallet as fast as swiping.  Can't imagine storing and sending the details on the chip is more secure than having the chip do the verification, though.  Haven't seen these types of readers elsewhere.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.