News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

yard or lawn?

Started by allniter89, May 13, 2017, 02:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

What does Clint Eastwood think?

Beltway

Quote from: allniter89 on May 13, 2017, 02:53:35 PM
What do you call that grassy area around your house?
lawn?
yard?
what's grass, I live in the city  :bigass:
We call it the yard

The lawn is the grassed area itself.

The yard is the area not occupied by building(s), and is usually not all grassed, it can include planters, hedges, patios, etc.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

A garden is something where a plant other than grass is grown -- such as a garden for vegetables or a flower garden.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on May 15, 2017, 04:10:24 PM
A garden is something where a plant other than grass is grown -- such as a garden for vegetables or a flower garden.

Regional differences. "Garden" is an acceptable synonym for "yard" outside of North America. Even within the US, "yard" is acceptable synonym for "garden" (see here)

If you have a lot of plants, vegetables, or flowers, you may refer to your "yard" as a "garden" (because that's chiefly what it has become). My grandmother refers to her "backyard" as her "garden", but her "front yard" as such.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

ghYHZ

Here in the Maritimes....I go out in the yard to cut the grass. A Lawn is what my neighbor has and it's very distinct on his side of the property line......meticulously fertilized, watered and cut!

inkyatari

"Pain in the ass that takes two hours to mow"
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

7/8

Quote from: wanderer2575 on May 13, 2017, 03:32:33 PM
Yard, covered with lawn.  Does that make sense?  I'm walking around my yard and thinking that I need to mow the lawn.

This is how I think of it too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.