News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Pc or mac?

Started by Roadgeekteen, July 21, 2017, 10:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one?

Pc
14 (63.6%)
Mac
8 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheStretchofFreeways

Otto Yamamoto

hbelkins

I actually use both. I'm forced to use a PC at work but my personal computer is a Mac. I also own a PC netbook but rarely use it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

21stCenturyRoad

Once you go Mac, you don't go back.
The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

JJBers

You mean Windows vs. Macintosh
PC = Personal Computer
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on July 21, 2017, 10:59:43 PM
SPARC

P00I
Windows NT 4.0 for PowerPC  :colorful:
(yes, this really exists)
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 21, 2017, 11:34:45 PM
SPARC

P00I
Windows NT was released for a number of platforms as I recall.

P00I

jp the roadgeek

PC, although I do have an iPhone and iPod.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

JJBers

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 21, 2017, 11:34:45 PM
SPARC

P00I
Well, this reeks of 1999:

Compaq with Windows 98. If you're wondering, that CD is the Sims 1 expansion pack.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

hotdogPi

Mac (specifically MacBook Pro, a laptop)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

vdeane

Linux

EDIT: I also have an eight year old laptop running Windows 7 that I hardly use any more and a Chromebook that I use when I travel.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

iBallasticwolf2

Windows 10 desktop PC
Chromebook for laptop
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Thing 342

Linux 4.10.0-28-generic

JJBers

*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

Max Rockatansky

Having used both extensively I'd say PC.  I could always test the limits on a PC much more than I could ever on a Mac....granted I'm talking mostly circa 1990-2005.   Nothing quite like using a DOS prompt to upload program configurations to sand bag your least favorite racers in the original Sierra NASCAR Racing.

jakeroot

Quote from: JJBers on July 21, 2017, 11:33:30 PM
You mean Windows vs. Macintosh
PC = Personal Computer

Perhaps "PC" isn't the politically correct term (lol), but PC has become synonymous with Windows. Apple's "I'm a Mac" adverts, which always started with "'Hi, I'm a Mac', '...and I'm a PC'" mostly set in stone what PC meant to most: Windows machines.

Brandon

I thought this was dead and done.  Otherwise, when'd we get back to the late 1990s?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Eth

Built my own home PC five years ago, currently running Windows 10. Also have an ancient (2008) MacBook, now very lightly used.

Most of my work (web development) takes place on a corporate-issued MacBook Pro, plus interaction with the servers, which run Linux. I have a Windows 7 desktop at the office also, but it's not used much anymore.

jakeroot

Quote from: Brandon on July 22, 2017, 10:05:39 PM
I thought this was dead and done.  Otherwise, when'd we get back to the late 1990s?

It's no different a topic than "Ford vs Chevy" or "Toyota vs Honda". The conversation will endure as long as both still exist.

I-39

Mac, but only for the software (Unix based operating systems are much more stable than the faulty code Windows is built on). That is literally the only reason I have a Mac (same reason I also have an iPhone). If there were a legal way to put OS X on a PC, I'd strongly consider doing it.

Duke87

Currently, Windows 8.1.

That said, I will never use Windows 10 or anything newer so long as it means having Bill Gates as my sysadmin and not being permitted to control my own computer. This means I am going to have to find a way to make Linux work for me, although I'm still not sure how exactly I'm going to do that (I've tried before and given up in frustration).

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: Duke87 on July 23, 2017, 12:07:16 AM
Currently, Windows 8.1.

That said, I will never use Windows 10 or anything newer so long as it means having Bill Gates as my sysadmin and not being permitted to control my own computer. This means I am going to have to find a way to make Linux work for me, although I'm still not sure how exactly I'm going to do that (I've tried before and given up in frustration).

Linux is a great deal easier than you think. It's been my sole operating system for 10+ years now, in various incarnations, and I haven't once considered going back to Windows.

STV100-2

JREwing78

Apple has been so focused on iPhones and iPads that they've let their computer lineup atrophy. Rumor has that Apple is starting to take steps to remedy that, but in the meantime power users have no choice but to go to a Windows PC.

And it's not like Microsoft has stood still. The Surface Pro tablets and the Surface laptop are solid devices. Windows 10 has been a solid operating system, and even power users that normally would go Mac are finding they have to go PC to have their needs met.

Microsoft's development of its app store is a critical next step in locking down the platform from a security standpoint. Over the last 5 years or so, Microsoft has done a good job bulletproofing the Windows OS, but is hamstrung by the need to make legacy software "just work". Most of the time, it's 3rd party software that allows malware to infect a PC. The more they can limit installation of apps to through the app store, the more they can lock out viruses and other malware.

Apple is by no means out of the computer game with its Mac lineup, but the longer they hold up a refresh of their lineup (let alone return to being an innovator in the space), the more Microsoft is going to eat their lunch.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.