News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

June Foray died

Started by roadman, July 27, 2017, 11:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2017/07/27/rip-june-foray-first-lady-of-animation-acting-voiced-rocky-and-bullwinkle-and-tweety-roles/?utm_term=.7f90fefc668a

Best know for providing the voices of Rocky the Flying Squirrel, Natasha Fatale (how could I forget that one), Nell Fenwick, and Granny (Tweety's owner).

When I heard the news this morning, I summoned up my best Bullwinkle voice and cried out "Rocky!!!!".
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

SidS1045

The New York Times obit also noted another famous voice she did, from the Twilight Zone episode "Living Doll:"  "My name is Talky Tina, and I'm going to kill you."

And in the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons, she also voiced Natasha Fatale.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

roadman

Quote from: SidS1045 on July 27, 2017, 10:54:13 PM
The New York Times obit also noted another famous voice she did, from the Twilight Zone episode "Living Doll:"  "My name is Talky Tina, and I'm going to kill you"

A better reference than the blurb from our newsradio station, who noted Rocky the Flying Squirrel, Smurfette, and some elderly woman from The Garfield Show.  Sorry, but for animation, IMHO The Smurfs and Garfield are not even in the same league as Rocky and Bullwinkle.
And in the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons, she also voiced Natasha Fatale.

To quote a more recent cartoon character - D'Oh!!!!  Have updated my post.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

She also did the voice of Cindy Lou Who in the original (60s animated) version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 28, 2017, 10:53:11 AM
She also did the voice of Cindy Lou Who in the original (60s animated) version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
Now there's a piece of animation that's clearly in the same league with Rocky and Bullwinkle.

SidS1045

Perhaps the best tribute to her work was said by the famous animator Chuck Jones, who proposed that she be given a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame: "June Foray is not the female Mel Blanc.  Mel Blanc was the male June Foray."

Sadly, her work at Warner Brothers (particularly as Tweety Bird's owner, Grannie) was uncredited, as Mel Blanc had an contract with WB which gave him exclusive screen credit for "voice characterizations" on their cartoons.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

In_Correct

Mel Blanc is indeed overrated. However, he was the only one to have a contract at the time, which was an attempt to keep him working at Warner Brothers. Chuck Jones had a similar contract. Other peoples such as the voice talent were considered Guest Stars, and were not credited.

https://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/mel-blanc-from-anonymity-to-offscreen-superstar-the-advent-of-on-screen-voice-credits/

June Foray said in this interview that the pitch of his recordings was changed for each character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnD0PUWVKbY

This technique is correlated here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1gvbabOstA

I have an autographed book from June Foray in 2010. In " Did You Grow Up With Me Too? ", she wrote in a chapter about how she is irked by needing to share the fame with Bea Benaderet.

In this video, June Foray is Betty Rubble, who resembles Wilma. Jean Vander Pyl is Wilma. Notice how Daws Butler is Fred this time, resembling the " BAWNEE MY PEBBLES !! " Cereal Commercials. Also notice how she can easily voice Betty as good as Bea or Gerry Johnson or B.J. Ward or any of the others. June Foray ended up losing the part to Bea Benaderet which made June furious towards Hanna - Barbera for decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgXe1FADShE

She spent the next decades working for Jay Ward, Bill Scott, and Chuck Jones. She returned to Hanna - Barbera as Jokey Smurf, Gargamel's Mother, and Mother Nature. Unfortuneately, the credits in the international version of The Smurfs removed all the voice talent.

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

hotdogPi

5 years. (I'll delete my post if mine is the only 2022 one remaining.)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.