News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How we grew up

Started by cjk374, August 05, 2017, 12:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 09, 2017, 05:35:26 PM
While we're on the topic of children in car seats, I've noticed a lot of differences between when I was a kid and now.  When I was a kid, you would ride in a car seat until you were 3 or 4, then graduate to a regular seat.  Mandatory seat belt laws didn't exist until I was 10, but I'd usually be forced to wear mine anyway. And most back seat seatbelts were just the lap belt, not the shoulder belt.   I've noticed nowadays that kids tend to ride in the back seat until they are almost a teenager, despite the front passenger seat being empty.   I started "riding shotgun" when it was just me and the driver when I was 5.  I also used to ride in the back of trucks as well.  Never got hurt at all. 

My mom has told the story of when I was a kid - they used Consumer Reports to find the best carseat for me at the time.  After they got it, it was eventually recalled.   Apparently they way kids would sit in them allowed them to kick out certain parts of the carseat (including me)...which Consumer Reports' testers were unable to duplicate.

kkt

Big Wheels had a lower center of gravity than tricycles.  It was harder to tip, but you were less visible to cars.

Brandon

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 10, 2017, 09:55:55 PM

And it lasted into the 1980s as well.  Ride that big wheel!
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

bandit957

The radio station I listened to the most growing up was Q-102 (WKRQ in Cincinnati). There were usually other stations that I liked much better such as WCLU, but those kept coming and going.

Even in a county with 90,000, I don't think we had a community center when I was a teenager, because it was considered eeeeeeeeeevil. So there was really nothing positive for teenagers here to do. Recreation at the time consisted largely of staying home and listening to the radio.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

Also, my high school gave out so much homework that we didn't have time for recreation anyway. You hit the books when you got home, and you didn't stop until bedtime, except for supper.

I'm glad I got expelled.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.