News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Looking for a specific topo map online

Started by inkyatari, August 07, 2017, 11:09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkyatari

I'm looking for a topo map of the Ottawa IL quadrangle from the period of 1950-1957. 

I've been doing a ton of searching across numerous websites, but I cannot find one.  Does anybody have a line on an online version?
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Mr. Matté

inkyatari

wxfree

Have you seen it before?  Do you have a reason to believe they made one?  I'm pretty sure all of the maps are listed there.  They even have the various photorevisions (where they add the purple features that show things that are new but don't make a full new map).
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

ghYHZ

inkyatari

Quote from: wxfree on August 07, 2017, 02:33:59 PM
Have you seen it before?  Do you have a reason to believe they made one?  I'm pretty sure all of the maps are listed there.  They even have the various photorevisions (where they add the purple features that show things that are new but don't make a full new map).

THat's just it.  I don't know.  It is likely they may not have.

Specifically, I've been intrigued by the "historical" Fox River State Park near Ottawa, Illinois.  It stopped appearing on state road maps around 1959-1960, but was on topo maps as late as 1970, with boundaries indicated.  The most recent topo map doesn't have the park, but in looking at LaSalle county's GIS system, it shows the property as still being owned by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources.  Really small parcel of property, so I doubt any facilities were ever built.  What makes this interesting is that the Chicago based Conservation Foundation just opened the Dayton Bluffs preserve that borders this property to the NE.  I'm thinking of taking a little time in the next couple weeks to explore the old park.

EDIT: THe next oldest I can find is 1946, and the park isn't on the map, but a feature I never knew existed for the area, an abandoned I&M canal feeder is.

inkyatari

NE2

What kind of information are you looking for? http://historicaerials.com/viewer has a 1967 aerial.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

inkyatari

Quote from: NE2 on August 08, 2017, 01:35:26 PM
What kind of information are you looking for? http://historicaerials.com/viewer has a 1967 aerial.

Honestly, any sort of information.  I think I have the boundaries.  Now I'm curious if any facilities were ever built. I may have to go do some reconnaissance this weekend.

EDIT:  Oh wow.  That site has some topo maps I couldn't find elsewhere.  Damn watermark.

Interesting.  It's not showing the park from 48-66, but shows it on the 77 map.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.