News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How widespread is Clearview in Canada?

Started by ixnay, August 17, 2017, 07:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ixnay

I noticed on the Northeast board (Pennsylvania thread) a photo posted for a Clearview-signed airport exit in Montreal.

Beyond that, to what extent has Canada gotten on the Clearview bandwagon?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Henry

About all of the nation now uses Clearview, as shown by the map below:

Now compare this to the US, where only 14 states and DC have not yet switched over (and most likely never will, if the FHWA has indeed rescinded its original approval):

In MB, there's this example for the middle of the nation, in terms of longitude:

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Tarkus

FYI, Oregon should probably be changed over to yellow (Uses FHWA; Clearview seen at municipal level).  Portland is all aboard the Clearview train, at least with the blade signs, and weirdly enough, I've recently been seeing ODOT use it (contrary to how it had been approved) in all caps on orange construction signs.

OracleUsr

NC uses Clearview on surface streets for some attractions
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

ColossalBlocks

Iowa needs to be changed to the color blue.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Pink Jazz

New Mexico should also be changed to yellow, since District 5 (Santa Fe) used Clearview, as well as the City of Rio Rancho and Los Alamos County.

SignGeek101

Maybe this should be moved to the Canada board?

Everything in the map is correct, except for maybe Nunavut since there are not really any signs there pretty much.

I have seen no change here in Manitoba.

J N Winkler

Inaccuracies in the map:  ID and SD both stick to the FHWA alphabet series, and unless they have changed radically in the past five years or so, so does WV.  The yellow category probably should be expanded to include use on turnpikes (e.g., Kansas Turnpike) or in select experimental locations on state highway systems (e.g., I-10 weigh station signing in California; I-80/I-580 signing in Reno, Nevada; Legacy Parkway in Utah).

The states I am aware of that have committed to Clearview throughout their entire state highway systems are very much in the minority.  They are (asterisk indicates recent construction plans, available online, indicate Clearview is leaving the plan production pipeline):  AK*, AZ*, TX, OK*, ND, IA*, AR*, LA, IL, MI (MDOT has announced phaseout but this is not yet evident in advertised plans), OH*, PA*, MD*, VA, KY, SC, VT, and DE, or 18 out of the 50, going down to 10 out of 50 if states for which phaseout has been confirmed are excluded.  I expect the number of such states to increase because, depending on how plan production works in a given state DOT, appearance or disappearance of a given typeface family from advertised plans is an indicator that lags quite a bit.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

roadfro

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 20, 2017, 12:10:47 PM
Inaccuracies in the map:  ID and SD both stick to the FHWA alphabet series, and unless they have changed radically in the past five years or so, so does WV.  The yellow category probably should be expanded to include use on turnpikes (e.g., Kansas Turnpike) or in select experimental locations on state highway systems (e.g., I-10 weigh station signing in California; I-80/I-580 signing in Reno, Nevada; Legacy Parkway in Utah).

FYI: Clearview is only in use on I-580, and was only used on signs that were erected/replaced as part of the US 395 northbound widening project that was completed several years ago. Other more recent sporadic sign replacements along other parts of I-580 have used FHWA series (and upgraded sheeting allowing light fixtures to be removed). I-80 in Reno/Sparks is all FHWA series.

With that said, there are some local agencies that have used Clearview on signage. Most notably, Reno has used it on some backlit street name signs (but they're also installing these with FHWA series as well).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

OracleUsr

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 20, 2017, 12:10:47 PM

The states I am aware of that have committed to Clearview throughout their entire state highway systems are very much in the minority.  They are (asterisk indicates recent construction plans, available online, indicate Clearview is leaving the plan production pipeline):  AK*, AZ*, TX, OK*, ND, IA*, AR*, LA, IL, MI (MDOT has announced phaseout but this is not yet evident in advertised plans), OH*, PA*, MD*, VA, KY, SC, VT, and DE, or 18 out of the 50, going down to 10 out of 50 if states for which phaseout has been confirmed are excluded.  I expect the number of such states to increase because, depending on how plan production works in a given state DOT, appearance or disappearance of a given typeface family from advertised plans is an indicator that lags quite a bit.

WV uses Clearview. 
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.