Unusual Hobbies (other than Roadgeekery)

Started by vtk, August 03, 2012, 09:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadgeek01

• LEGO building - I have an entire room in my house dedicated to the plastic bricks
  • Guitar - I play well, and it passes time
  • Eating copious amounts of bagels -  :bigass:
  • Attempting to reason with a stubborn basset hound who wants food

pork bork my hork

idk what it means either

freebrickproductions

Are the last two related by any chance? :-D
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

kphoger

No, he didn't say he eats a copious amount of beagles...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadgeek01

QuoteAre the last two related by any chance? :-D

Well, often during dinner or lunch, my dog will try to pop up on the table to eat food on the plates.  But, most of the time, there is a tactic that my dog uses to get dog treats.  In my house, there are two bells hanging on the doors.  My dog has been trained to ring those bells when she needs to go outside to go to the bathroom.  My dog thought that if she rung the bell, someone would come over and give here some kind of treat.  And when that person doesn't give treats to her, she barks until food is given to her.  I love my dog, but it drives me nuts. :banghead:
pork bork my hork

idk what it means either

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

cjk374

Quote from: roadgeek01 on May 03, 2017, 03:39:34 PM

Well, often during dinner or lunch, my dog will try to pop up on the table to eat food on the plates.  But, most of the time, there is a tactic that my dog uses to get dog treats.  In my house, there are two bells hanging on the doors.  My dog has been trained to ring those bells when she needs to go outside to go to the bathroom.  My dog thought that if she rung the bell, someone would come over and give here some kind of treat.  And when that person doesn't give treats to her, she barks until food is given to her.  I love my dog, but it drives me nuts. :banghead:

A sure sign of a spoiled rotten hound.  :nod:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

roadgeek01

QuoteA sure sign of a spoiled rotten hound.  :nod:

Also, I forgot to mention that afterwards, she waltzes to the closest couch and proceeds to sleep the rest of the day
pork bork my hork

idk what it means either

lepidopteran

I used to collect brochures.  These are mostly from the late '70s.
Tourist attraction brochures, on Flickr

hm insulators

Quote from: roadgeek01 on May 06, 2017, 10:58:59 AM
QuoteA sure sign of a spoiled rotten hound.  :nod:

That's what dogs are for! :D
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

GreenLanternCorps

I have serveral Hobbies listed on this site.

Roadgeeking
Reading (Science Fiction, Fantasy, History, Politics)
A large Comic Book Collection from the 70's and 80's
Model Railroading (armchair, but have a lot of HO stuff in some boxes)

And a hobby I didn't see mentioned, wargaming:

I have a decent collction of Avalon Hill, GDW, and other wargames:

This is not me, but a picture of two guys playing Avalon Hill's The Russian Campaign at a convention.

I also play historical miniatures:

Again, not mine, but representative:

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Nanis

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on April 26, 2017, 10:23:16 PM
Quote from: Nanis on April 26, 2017, 04:51:10 PM
I am into a hobby called TV DXing. It's where you scan for TV channels during special weather conditions. These special weather occurances, in the DXing world are called "openings". My furthest catch was WYOU in Scranton at 115 miles away.
When I was a kid back in the 80s I did like to see what channels I could pull in on my little TV late at night.  This of course was back in the analog days, with a set of rabbit ears.  We didn't get cable until I was off to college, and we were right across the river from Philadelphia so the rabbit ears on each TV were fine for getting a whopping 8 channels.  I remember pulling in WYOU too, as well as various NYC stations, "Baltimore 54", etc.  In a similar vein, it was always fun to 'shoot skip' and talk to people far away on the ol' CB radio.
Oh yes, analog TV. I remember this on3 time when my parents wanted to watch KYW back sometime in 2007 and it was WPSU instead.
Map of state roads I have taken pictures for the signs for can be seen here (although four routes ave not been added yet because of their lengths.):
https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/us_route_map/s7vYO7rC80

cjk374

Quote from: cjk374 on May 06, 2017, 10:51:58 AM
Quote from: roadgeek01 on May 03, 2017, 03:39:34 PM

A sure sign of a spoiled rotten hound.  :nod:

Here is a pic of my spoiled hound:

SAM_1677 by Jess Kilgore, on Flickr

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

vtk

Quote from: kphoger on May 19, 2017, 01:36:51 PM
Is anyone into bubbling?

Didn't one of our members from Northern Kentucky start a thread on that topic?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Nanis

Map of state roads I have taken pictures for the signs for can be seen here (although four routes ave not been added yet because of their lengths.):
https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/us_route_map/s7vYO7rC80

Desert Man

Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Desert Man on July 29, 2017, 12:52:07 PM
I guess vaporwave is an interest in mine, retro-1980s J-pop neo-disco tracks are popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_tGuYNlCQ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXoWML1GsKo
Vaporwave is a pretty nice genre of music, along with Synthwave. I'm not sure if this is vaporwave or synthwave, but it's one of my favorite songs regardless:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

noelbotevera

Since we're talking about fond music albums, I'm into thrash metal. Here's a couple.

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Roadgeekteen

I am a fan of avatar the last airbender and its sequal series, legend of korra.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

inkyatari

Quote from: lepidopteran on May 08, 2017, 10:43:40 PM
I used to collect brochures.  These are mostly from the late '70s.
Tourist attraction brochures, on Flickr

Oooh.  I love the Old Chicago one.  I work right next to where the long gone amusement park / shopping mall used to be. My mom and grandmom used to work at the toy store there.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Sanctimoniously

I think I've already posted in this thread, but that was probably several years ago, so a redux wouldn't hurt.

I'm very, very much into socks, tights, and sneakers. Mostly women's, although my shoe size is just at the far end of what I can easily find attractive styles in. There are plenty of "men's" tights out there as well, however, I've always preferred to get plus-size women's tights.

Although it's been ages since I've done it, I like guns (real ones) and airsoft. I own a fairly wide variety of U.S. camouflage patterns (including several sets I was issued when I was in the military, and were worn in Afghanistan) and surplus tactical gear.

I've been a lifelong car guy, but I enjoy "normal" vehicles (seriously, my "dream" car up until I got one was a Ford Fusion SE with the manual), and backyard engineering projects and engine swaps, over the typical bedroom poster cars. I've followed the 24 Hours of LeMons cheap-car racing series almost since its inception in 2006, and finally got the chance to race at GingerMan Raceway in Michigan back in April.

I enjoy watching archived weather and breaking-news coverage on YouTube. It may seem kind of morbid, considering that I've frequently watched archived 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina coverage from a variety of sources, but it's something that's always fascinated me in an odd way.

I'm a writer of contemporary eccentric fiction and military-oriented science fiction. I'm currently working on several novels and TV pitches.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.