News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Soda vs. Pop

Started by DaBigE, January 13, 2013, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you call that carbonated refreshment?

Soda
41 (52.6%)
Pop
23 (29.5%)
Coke
5 (6.4%)
Soda-pop
1 (1.3%)
Cola
1 (1.3%)
Fizzy Drink
1 (1.3%)
Other
6 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 78

deathtopumpkins

I always call it soda. I've never in my life heard anyone call it anything else, like pop. Which surprises me since I have family from all over New England and Oklahoma, and I grew up in the mid-Atlantic.

I have heard "soft drink" plenty in things like commercials, and small print on labels and packages, though.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

ghYHZ

Atlantic Canada........it's Pop.

During the tourist season someone will come into a McDonalds or KFC etc. here and ask for a Soda.......then you'll see the blank stare on the poor kid behind the counter trying to figure out what they want.   

jwolfer

I use soda.  i grew up in NJ but I live in the South and my mom is from here so... the question "what kind of coke do you want?"  would be easily understood to be generic.  I think Coca-Cola really tries to eliminate the gneric use of of the term Coke

kphoger

Quote from: empirestate on January 14, 2013, 02:46:10 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 14, 2013, 02:10:15 PM
also: around here, beer taps are spelled "draft".  is "draught" found somewhere in the US?  I thought it was solely a British spelling.

In my experience the British spelling is used to evoke Britain. Or Ireland. Otherwise, the "draft" spelling predominates in the States.

I just like the spelling 'draught'.  I hardly ever see it actually spelled out, usually just spoken.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cjk374

Quote from: nexus73 on January 13, 2013, 10:39:38 PM
Down South the term I heard was "cold drink".

Rick
That's how people down here refer to beer.  They don't want just a beer....they want a "COLD BEER"!   :cheers:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jwolfer

Quote from: cjk374 on January 14, 2013, 06:40:52 PM

Rick
That's how people down here refer to beer.  They don't want just a beer....they want a "COLD BEER"!   :cheers:

Cold drink is usually non-alcoholic around here... You can go to the First Baptist Church picnic with a cooler full of "cold drinks"

kphoger

Quote from: cjk374 on January 14, 2013, 06:40:52 PM

Rick

My dad usually orders beer in a room-temperature glass, being sick of the trend to automatically serve it in frosty mugs.  The other day, we were at Red Robin for part of our son's birthday celebration, and he ordered a Guiness in a room-temperature glass.  The waitress just could not get it through her head that someone wouldn't want a frozen glass.  She directly asked him if he was serious or being sarcastic.  His response of "you'll never find it in a frozen glass over there" did little to persuade her of the legitimacy of his request.

...segue...

So, this brings up a new question:  Are there sodas/pops you like colder than others?  I absolutely refuse to drink root beer with ice, but I like my Coca-Cola at near freezing temps–a little slush, in fact, is a good thing.  Warm Diet Mountain Dew is one of the nastiest beverages on the planet, yet people heat Dr Pepper up on the stove.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Pop machine or coke machine.

But having said that, soda fountain, although to me that evokes memories of the local downtown drugstore that had a lunch counter, and the soda fountain provided not only pop but milk shakes, floats, etc.

I don't refer to distributors at all, but i would probably say soft drink distributor.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Duke87

I will drink soda anywhere from ice cold to warm. But that said, I appreciate it cold on a hot summer day, and do not see the point of it being cold in winter.

That said, I don't like soda with ice in it. It just takes up volume in the glass or cup that would otherwise be occupied by soda, and then it melts and waters the drink down (and watered down soda is gross). I don't mind so much at sit down restaurants where you finish the soda before the ice really has a chance to melt, but for those LARGE cups from fast food joints which will last you anywhere from hours to a whole day this becomes a problem.

Also, whose stupid idea was it to stick lemon slices on glasses of diet soda? Eew.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

bugo

I'm from west central Arkansas and I've always called it "coke."  I lived in Kansas City where it was "soda."  I now live in Tulsa where it's "pop."  To me, "soda" is baking soda and "pop" is a lame genre of music.

DandyDan

It's always been pop to me, except that when I go to Chipotle, I'll ask for a soda, since they only sell "sodas", which you fill up yourself.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

cjk374

Fountain cokes are best with just a little bit of crushed ice, like the kind you get at Sonic.  I've never had a large fountain drink ever last me any longer than 20 minutes. 

english si

Quote from: kphoger on January 14, 2013, 08:49:07 PMMy dad usually orders beer in a room-temperature glass, being sick of the trend to automatically serve it in frosty mugs.  The other day, we were at Red Robin for part of our son's birthday celebration, and he ordered a Guiness in a room-temperature glass.
While Guinness have created Extra-Cold for these people who have no taste, and even sell it in the UK and Ireland, it is bizarre to even have to ask for it.
QuoteThe waitress just could not get it through her head that someone wouldn't want a frozen glass.
I can't get why anyone would. Maybe lager, but not stout.

Worst is Whiskey/Whisky 'on the rocks' - you may want a drop of water to ease out those delicate flavours but ice will trap them - the smell will be reduced, for instance.
QuoteSo, this brings up a new question:  Are there sodas/pops you like colder than others?  I absolutely refuse to drink root beer with ice, but I like my Coca-Cola at near freezing temps–a little slush, in fact, is a good thing.  Warm Diet Mountain Dew is one of the nastiest beverages on the planet, yet people heat Dr Pepper up on the stove.
None with ice, especially not already-watered-down fountain drinks (worst is crushed ice, which just waters it down quickly - the 'James Bond option'). Ice-cold is silly, removing most of the taste (certainly any brand-distinctive taste). Room Temperature is perhaps a little warm, but 'cellar cold' is fine, especially on hot days, where cellar cold is cold in comparison and cold days where you don't need cooling down. Actual heating is going a bit far (unless making a glaze for meat).

DandyDan

Quote from: kphoger on January 14, 2013, 08:49:07 PM
So, this brings up a new question:  Are there sodas/pops you like colder than others?  I absolutely refuse to drink root beer with ice, but I like my Coca-Cola at near freezing temps–a little slush, in fact, is a good thing.  Warm Diet Mountain Dew is one of the nastiest beverages on the planet, yet people heat Dr Pepper up on the stove.

I myself prefer cold pop, but my mother likes room temperature pop for some weird reason, no matter what kind (generally Coke, Pepsi, or Dr Pepper).
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

exit322

Quote from: cjk374 on January 15, 2013, 03:21:19 PM
Fountain cokes are best with just a little bit of crushed ice, like the kind you get at Sonic.  I've never had a large fountain drink ever last me any longer than 20 minutes. 

If "like the kind you get at Sonic" is just a little bit of crushed ice, I'd hate to see how much ice it'd take for you to think that a lot has been used.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: kphoger on January 14, 2013, 08:49:07 PM
Warm Diet Mountain Dew is one of the nastiest beverages on the planet...
Fixed it for you.

We would argue about soda vs. pop with our Michigan cousins pretty much every time we got together.  Us Wisconsinites were soda, the Michiganders were pop.  It was always in fun though, because we thought the argument was so stupid.  To this day, we bring it up on purpose just to laugh about it.

Map:

Discuss!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

cjk374

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 16, 2013, 02:35:01 PM

We would argue about soda vs. pop with our Michigan cousins pretty much every time we got together.  Us Wisconsinites were soda, the Michiganders were pop.  It was always in fun though, because we thought the argument was so stupid.  To this day, we bring it up on purpose just to laugh about it.

Map:

Discuss!
I think they showed this map on "You Don't Know Dixie".

Quote from: exit322 on January 16, 2013, 09:42:30 AM
Quote from: cjk374 on January 15, 2013, 03:21:19 PM

If "like the kind you get at Sonic" is just a little bit of crushed ice, I'd hate to see how much ice it'd take for you to think that a lot has been used.
When restaurants fix my drink, they load it down with ice and very little drink.

1995hoo

I remember once upon a time at a McDonald's asking for a soda with no ice and getting a cup that was half empty. When I asked why the cup was so empty, the worker said that that was where the ice would have gone. This was back in the days when they stuck the cup under the dispenser and then simply hit a button for the appropriate size of cup and it filled the cup and then shut off automatically. However, there was also another button up above to allow them to top off the cup. I guess this guy was just lazy.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

DaBigE

Discuss!

Interesting "soda swath" that almost splits Wisconsin in half. :hmmm:
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

kphoger

Gives new meaning to red states and blue states.
Male pronouns, please.

Takumi

Virginia's all over the place.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

tchafe1978

Quote from: DaBigE on January 16, 2013, 03:35:56 PM

Discuss!

Interesting "soda swath" that almost splits Wisconsin in half. :hmmm:

I can attest to that. I grew up in the Milwaukee suburbs, and myself and everyone I knew called it soda. I had cousins from "up nort" who9 called it pop. We'd argue (all in fun, of course) about whether it was soda or pop. I would point to the spot on the can where it said "soda" to prove I was right. Nowhere on the can does it say "pop"! I also had similar arguments with my roommate when I first went off to college in the southwest part of the state, and he was from a nearby town. Now I've settled down in the southwest part of the state, and nearly everyone around here calls it pop, including my wife. I still call it soda, though I have to catch myself calling it pop every once in a while, and have to correct myself. I'm trying to get my kids to call it soda, but so far I'm failing. So that great divide in Wisconsin between soda and pop is all too real for me.

realjd

Quote from: english si on January 15, 2013, 04:47:20 PM
Worst is Whiskey/Whisky 'on the rocks' - you may want a drop of water to ease out those delicate flavours but ice will trap them - the smell will be reduced, for instance.

Exception: bourbon. They bottle it high-proof on purpose so when you put a couple of ice cubes in it, it doesn't get too watery. Plus you get to see how the flavors change as the ice melts.

agentsteel53

Quote from: realjd on January 18, 2013, 01:32:28 PM
Exception: bourbon. They bottle it high-proof on purpose so when you put a couple of ice cubes in it, it doesn't get too watery. Plus you get to see how the flavors change as the ice melts.

hm, I never knew that.  here I thought high-proof bourbon was bottled that way simply because it's how it comes out of the barrel. 

I enjoy 80-proof bourbon with ice.  mostly I'll drink it neat, but sometimes that ice cube is just the ticket.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

SteveG1988

It is soda, you get a can of sprite it says Lemon-Lime Soda on the side, that is what i used to prove it is called soda
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.