News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 371 in Oklahoma?

Started by bugo, July 19, 2012, 02:13:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

From the 1930 Oklahoma Department of Highways map:

Has anybody ever seen a different map that shows US 371 in Oklahoma?  This is the only map that I've ever seen that shows it, so it could easily be a mapo.  If I had another source, then it could have been real.  I doubt it was signed very long if at all, because by 1931 US 270 was extended into Arkansas.

mcdonaat

....but...but...I drove on US 371 in Arkansas today!!

Those old maps are tricky. I've seen US 82 dipping into Shreveport on a 1927 map.

bugo

I've never heard of US 82 in Louisiana.  That would be quite the detour.  Do you have a scan of this map?  US 82 in Arkansas was once AR 2.  It wasn't an original 1926 US route in Arkansas.

bugo

The new US 371 is pretty much worthless as a through route, but it carries a good deal of regional traffic.  I do wish they had left AR 19 and AR 24 co-signed with 371 because the section of US 371 that runs along old AR 24 was signed east-west, and the highway through Nashville switched from E-W to N-S, which is confusing.  But AHTD refuses to co-sign many routes because of their "policy" which is a cop out.

mcdonaat

We multiplex our highways, and are pretty proud. We also leave our US highways on their own instead of shoving them on Interstates, with the exception of US 51/I-55 at Pass Manchac.

US71

Quote from: mcdonaat on July 19, 2012, 03:04:08 AM
We multiplex our highways, and are pretty proud. We also leave our US highways on their own instead of shoving them on Interstates, with the exception of US 51/I-55 at Pass Manchac.

And I-20/US 80 east of Delta ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

The High Plains Traveler

Assuming that wasn't officially designated, the first U.S. 371 was established in Minnesota about 1932.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

agentsteel53

I'd also like to see evidence of Louisiana US 82.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Mapmikey

The 1930 Clasons Atlas shows US 371 just like the map of the OP.

Mapmikey

mcdonaat

Quote from: US71 on July 19, 2012, 08:28:10 AM

Hey now... That's Mississippis fault. They wanted US 80 off their bridge, so it was moved. That's a two mile segment though, and both bridges are my two favorites.

US71

Quote from: mcdonaat on July 20, 2012, 12:42:51 AM
Quote from: US71 on July 19, 2012, 08:28:10 AM

Hey now... That's Mississippis fault. They wanted US 80 off their bridge, so it was moved. That's a two mile segment though, and both bridges are my two favorites.

Now that I think of it,  90 seems to have an on-again/off-again love affair with I-10 ;)

But I'll be nice and not talk about US 167/I-49  :-P
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

usends

I've seen a lot of mapos and sloppy cartography on OKDoT maps, especially during those early years.  If that US 371 were real, it seems like it would be corroborated on a contemporary Arkansas map.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.