News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Riverside Freeway (tulsa)

Started by bugo, February 24, 2013, 05:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Does anybody have any information on this unbuilt highway?  Google is not very helpful.

rte66man

Quote from: Stalin on February 24, 2013, 05:37:13 PM
Does anybody have any information on this unbuilt highway?  Google is not very helpful.

What do you want to know?  It was on the plans since the 50's, was stopped by the NIMBY's in the 60's and would be impossible to build today.

It would have gone south from the SE interchange of the Inner Dispersal Loop along the abandoned ROW of the Midland Valley RR to meet Riverside Dr just north of 31st St. It would have then overlaid Riverside Dr south to 96th, where it would have turned east (today's Creek Turnpike).

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

bugo

Was a route number selected for it?  Would it have had a full interchange with Skelly Drive?

rte66man

Quote from: Stalin on February 26, 2013, 02:37:43 PM
Was a route number selected for it?  Would it have had a full interchange with Skelly Drive?

I don't recall a route # ever being mentioned.  The few designs I saw had a parclo at Skelly Dr, but the detail was very limited.

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

NE2

Google's more helpful if you search for Riverside Expressway.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

rte66man

Quote from: NE2 on February 27, 2013, 01:13:21 PM
Google's more helpful if you search for Riverside Expressway.

"Riverside Expressway"
"Maple Ridge Neighborhood Association"
"1960's Tulsa Freeways"

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

Alex

From a 1969 Tulsa map in my collection:

Thanks to Justin C, I uploaded the scan of the entire fold map [34.8MB] for anyone interested.

bugo

I'm usually close to 100% pro freeway, but this is the rare one that I'm glad didn't get built.   It would have made it easier for me to get downtown, but I can still be there in 10 minutes using the 4 lane surface street Riverside Drive, which follows much of the proposed Riverside Freeway/Expressway alignment. 

Mr Downtown

I did a lot of original research on the Riverside Expressway when I was a TU student in the 1970s, and even interviewed Mrs. Horowitz at one point.  I'm happy to look through my files if there are specific questions.

Here's a map copied long ago from the Tulsa Tribune 30 July 1968.

bugo

rte66man

Quote from: Mr Downtown on February 28, 2013, 09:23:01 PM
I did a lot of original research on the Riverside Expressway when I was a TU student in the 1970s,...

I was a TU undergrad from 77 - 81.  Campus is WAY different these days.

I too am glad it didn't get built.  River Parks would not exist today and a beautiful neighborhood (Maple Ridge) that has a great tradition would have been ruined.

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.