News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

IN US 31 Kokomo Bypass Upgrade Report

Started by mukade, June 26, 2011, 04:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mukade

The US 31 Kokomo project is a 13 mile bypass of the current congested divided highway bypass which has 15 traffic signals in Kokomo. The new highway will be built to Interstate standards, and the existing US 31 will become SR 931. Interchanges on the new US 31 will be at SR 26, Boulevard/CR 100S, SR 22/US 35 (SB), Touby Pike, US 35 (NB)/CR 400N in addition to where the new road meets the old at the north and south ends. Currently, approximately eight miles are under construction with another five miles of contracts scheduled to be let in August and September of 2011. The contract for the final mile or so at the north end is scheduled to be let in Spring of 2012. The entire bypass is scheduled to be opened to traffic in late 2013.

Northbound US 31 from CR 200S-Looking at the completed CR 100S interchange (neither the interchange nor CR 100S are open to traffic)

Southbound US 31 from CR 200S

Northbound US 31 from CR 100S/Boulevard looking at the SR 22/US 35 interchange a mile north and the CR 50N overpass another half mle north of that

US 31 over CR 300S

Partially built SR 26 overpass

Southbound US 31 from CR 50N overpass looking at soon-to-be SR 22/US 35 interchange

CR 200N bridge being built over US 31

Revive 755

Quote from: mukade on June 26, 2011, 04:54:46 PM

US 31 over CR 300S

I hope there's not going to be a need to widen CR 300S for the next 30 years, or the bridge span is longer than it looks.

mukade

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 26, 2011, 10:03:52 PM
Quote from: mukade on June 26, 2011, 04:54:46 PM

US 31 over CR 300S

I hope there's not going to be a need to widen CR 300S for the next 30 years, or the bridge span is longer than it looks.

It looks like it will be wide enough for 5 lanes - which seems very sufficient.

mukade

Toward the end of another construction season, considerable progress on the US 31 bypass around Kokomo can be seen. Construction is underway from half a mile south of SR 26 to a quarter of a mile north of CR 300N. A contract for a mile section (with two bridges) southward into Tipton County will be let by the end of the year. Two more contracts at the north and south ends will by let by mid-2012.

Below are some pictures taken in November, 2011.

From SR 26 looking south

From SR 26 looking north

Westbound SR 26 at future US 31

Westbound on widened Boulevard/CR 100S at US 31. This is one of two roads widened to connect the new freeway to the city.

Looking north on US 31 from CR 50N and the bridge over Wildcat Creek

vtk

Quote from: mukade on November 06, 2011, 03:18:13 PM

Westbound on widened Boulevard/CR 100S at US 31. This is one of two roads widened to connect the new freeway to the city.

They made the 4-lane section end just short of the new freeway interchange?  That seems really dumb.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

mukade

Actually, those are temporary markings. CR 100S's right line will become a right turn only lane on to the ramp. The interchange will not be open until 2013.   It will be similar coming off the freeway. The dumb thing, IMO, is not having a continuous left turn lane.

roadman65

Thanks for the info here.

It looks like you will have to get off of US 31 to go to Buffalo Wild Wings, though.  Oh well, still worth it though.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NWI_Irish96

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/sbt-officials-look-to-control-growth-on-upgraded-us-31-20120411,0,7971631.story

As someone who travels 31 between Indy and SB frequently, this is a concern of mine as well.  If Tipton and Miami counties in particular do not limit further development along 31, they could become what Kokomo used to be. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hbelkins

Someone in the area needs to do a meet centered on some of these Indiana projects.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Henry

Might this be a prelude to the building of I-67 in Indiana? (I know this is still a fictional route, but it would be nice to see.)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on April 12, 2012, 12:01:56 PM
Might this be a prelude to the building of I-67 in Indiana? (I know this is still a fictional route, but it would be nice to see.)

I don't believe the state has any intention of upgrading the rest of 31 to interstate standard (some stretches have a lot of residences that would require access roads), but I was thinking along the lines that allowing Kokomo-like development along the rest of 31 might force the state to do it.  Still, I think I would prefer to leave the number of stoplights at seven rather than have the number skyrocket for an indefinite amount of time in the hopes of getting them all eliminated.

triplemultiplex

Sounds like US 31 needs a corridor access management study for the portions that will remain sub-freeway grade after the current projects around Indy, Kokomo & South Bend are completed.

For what it's worth, the Plymouth - Rochester segment looks deliciously upgradable.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

ShawnP

I am from southern Indiana so I am not familiar with the US-31 areas you discuss for upgrade. From Aerials they look just as easy upgradeable as the US-71/I-49 Corridor in Missouri. I do see Indiana wanting to do it as Kokomo is a major auto center with Chrysler putting billions into the tranny plants lately and Indiana wants them to stay around and a new Interstate will help them stay and get their product to market quicker (ie plants in the Midwest).

tvketchum

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 12, 2012, 12:22:14 PM

I don't believe the state has any intention of upgrading the rest of 31 to interstate standard (some stretches have a lot of residences that would require access roads), but I was thinking along the lines that allowing Kokomo-like development along the rest of 31 might force the state to do it.  Still, I think I would prefer to leave the number of stoplights at seven rather than have the number skyrocket for an indefinite amount of time in the hopes of getting them all eliminated.

http://us31hamiltoncounty.in.gov/ and http://www.us31plysb.com/ in addition to http://www.in.gov/indot/projects/2373.htm account for the highway from Indianapolis to South Bend, and all of it is being upgraded to an  interstate standard freeway.

mukade

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 13, 2012, 05:55:17 PM
Sounds like US 31 needs a corridor access management study for the portions that will remain sub-freeway grade after the current projects around Indy, Kokomo & South Bend are completed.

For what it's worth, the Plymouth - Rochester segment looks deliciously upgradable.
A lot of the Miami County part is also easily upgradeable - most of it from Peru north. I know INDOT has studied where the Plymouth exit south of US 30 will be. With only 6 or 7 traffic lights left between I-465 and US 20, these remaining signalized intersections will be more dangerous. A serious accident will probably be what triggers more improvements.

Back around 2005, the story was the entire route would be upgraded to freeway, but I don't think the INDOT long range (2030) draft plan shows it as being a high priority corridor for upgrade.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: tvketchum on April 14, 2012, 09:31:21 AM

I don't believe the state has any intention of upgrading the rest of 31 to interstate standard (some stretches have a lot of residences that would require access roads), but I was thinking along the lines that allowing Kokomo-like development along the rest of 31 might force the state to do it.  Still, I think I would prefer to leave the number of stoplights at seven rather than have the number skyrocket for an indefinite amount of time in the hopes of getting them all eliminated.

http://us31hamiltoncounty.in.gov/ and http://www.us31plysb.com/ in addition to http://www.in.gov/indot/projects/2373.htm account for the highway from Indianapolis to South Bend, and all of it is being upgraded to an  interstate standard freeway.

Those three projects do not account for 100% of US 31 between South Bend and Indy.  Part of Marshall County, all of Fulton and Miami Counties, and most of Tipton County are not covered by any of those three projects.

Henry

Quote from: mukade on April 15, 2012, 12:29:58 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 13, 2012, 05:55:17 PM

A lot of the Miami County part is also easily upgradeable - most of it from Peru north. I know INDOT has studied where the Plymouth exit south of US 30 will be. With only 6 or 7 traffic lights left between I-465 and US 20, these remaining signalized intersections will be more dangerous. A serious accident will probably be what triggers more improvements.

Back around 2005, the story was the entire route would be upgraded to freeway, but I don't think the INDOT long range (2030) draft plan shows it as being a high priority corridor for upgrade.
Quote from: cabiness42 on April 15, 2012, 08:37:37 AM
Quote from: tvketchum on April 14, 2012, 09:31:21 AM

http://us31hamiltoncounty.in.gov/ and http://www.us31plysb.com/ in addition to http://www.in.gov/indot/projects/2373.htm account for the highway from Indianapolis to South Bend, and all of it is being upgraded to an  interstate standard freeway.

Those three projects do not account for 100% of US 31 between South Bend and Indy.  Part of Marshall County, all of Fulton and Miami Counties, and most of Tipton County are not covered by any of those three projects.
Definitely the reason that all of US 31 should be upgraded to freeway, although INDOT probably doesn't think so. Bring on I-67!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mukade

Contract award is pending for the section connecting existing US 31 in Tipton county to the existing (but not yet open) section near SR 26 near Kokomo.

INDOT April 4 Lettings

Also, another section of US 31 in South Bend and another section of SR 25 are in the same document. Bids were accepted for the part of US 31 around US 6 near Lapaz on April 18.

The May 2 letting should bring the last section of US 31 Kokomo at the north end (including relocation of US 35).

mukade

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 15, 2012, 08:37:37 AM

The INDOT long range plan does show the intention to eventually upgrade the entire route. See the  Draft 5-Year Construction Program, Project List Placeholder (page 45). That doesn't mean firm schedules exist - they don't, but this does show how the projects are planned to be broken out.

mukade

"INDOT anticipates opening a four-mile segment of the freeway between S.R. 26 and U.S. 35/S.R. 22 in October or November. All 13 miles of the U.S. 31 Kokomo freeway is expected to open in late fall next year–two years ahead of schedule."

INDOT Awards Contract For U.S. 31 Kokomo South Terminus

Also, some INDOT Flickr pictures of US 31 are here.

tdindy88

I drove by the SR 26 exit the other week, it does look complete from that perspective. I wonder what the four-mile stretch will be numbered in the time between this fall and next fall.

mukade

Good question. I will guess SR 431. Before construction started, some INDOT person suggested the new road might be SR 431 and US 31 would stay on the old alignment. That obviously changed, but make sense for the temporary situation.

sr641

According to INDOT US 31 will be a freeway from Indianapolis to South Bend.
Isaac

mukade

mukade

The contract for the last section of US 31 Kokomo bypass was awarded to Primco. This far north section includes an interchange and a new routing of US 35.

An interesting article discussing the pushing for further US 31 upgrades is here.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.