News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Tennessee and I65

Started by acms, April 16, 2011, 07:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acms

I am planning to take my family to florida, from Indiana, I do not like the mountains they scare the tire out of me. How is I65? I have gone through chatanooga before and that to me was horrific. I was trying to find lower land and and no cliff like sides on the road just wanted to see if I65 would work. I know I have gone from Indiana to Biloxi without hitting mountains or at least without hitting anything that made me uncomfortable but just cant remember what road I took.

froggie

I-65 is hilly, but not to the extent that I-24 near Chattanooga is.

acms

Thank you, I can handle hills just not any mountains!

TNroadwarrior

There are some significant grades in Tennessee along I-65.  The descent into the central basin starting around MP 104 has high wind area caution signs for high profile vehicles and features deep cuts. This is about 17 miles south of the KY border.  Not on the scale of Monteagle, but then again, what is?

Also, there is a similar upgrade in Giles County just beyond exit 14 (US64).

One note of caution: I-65 in Kentucky is being widened south of Elizabethtown.  A bridge near MP 81 is down to one lane in both directions.  I spent an hour going five miles late last night between Exits 86 and 81.  US31W is a good detour route in this area.

RoadWarrior56

Keep in mind if you are going to Florida via I-65 in Alabama, you will most likely turn off I-65 in Montgomery and use US 231 to get to Florida, especially if you are not going to the panhandle.  If you are heading to the Tampa - St. Pete area you will probably end up on US 19 at some point.  Even though the route via Alabama is all four lane, much of it will not be interstate, which will mean traffic lights and towns, slowing your trip. 

ShawnP

Road work also south of Nashville around TN-840.

mightyace

^^^

The roadwork starts just north of TN 96 (exit 65) and extends about halfway to Peytonsville Rd. (exit 61).  The widening will eventually go all the way to 840, but MP 62 or 63 is where it stops now.

There is currently (at least as of 3 or 4 days ago) no construction around the I-65/TN 840 interchange.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

codyg1985

There is road work on I-65 in Alabama just north of Birmingham around Fultondale. There is also road work just south of Birmingham in Hoover where one lane is blocked. There is also another work zone on I-65 just south of that one, too.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

acms

Now I am concerned again, I do not want to be going down the highway and freaking out over the mountains. I know there is a route from indiana to biloxi mississippi that does not bother me I just do not remember the road I took, it has just been to many years. We are going to be leaving on the 4th of May, that time is coming up quickly and I am still trying to map the best route for me.

codyg1985

Quote from: acms on April 18, 2011, 10:49:03 AM
Now I am concerned again, I do not want to be going down the highway and freaking out over the mountains. I know there is a route from indiana to biloxi mississippi that does not bother me I just do not remember the road I took, it has just been to many years. We are going to be leaving on the 4th of May, that time is coming up quickly and I am still trying to map the best route for me.

Are you opposed to taking non-interstate routes? You could take I-65 south to the Western KY Parkway, follow that to I-24, then take that west to the Purchase Pkwy, then follow that to US 45W (it looks to be four-laned over US 45E). Stay on US 45 from Jackson, TN all the way through most of Mississippi to Meridian, MS. Then take I-59 south to Hattiesburg where you will pick up US 49 to Gulfport/Biloxi.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

TNroadwarrior

I think he was going to Florida on this trip.

Actually, I65 is quite scenic and he shouldn't have any issues with mountain grades.  It's just that I65/US231/I10 is going to be a longer trip vs I24/I75.  Avoiding Atlanta is a plus, though.

Some facts about I65:

The welcome centers at the KY and AL state lines have been remodeled.  There are no other rest areas on I65 in TN.
The first interstate segment built anywhere in TN was I65 from the AL line northward, 1.8 miles.  It opened November 1958.
In April 2000, I65 was redesignated to the west side of downtown Nashville, replacing I265.  The new route is about a mile longer, but the longer distance isn't readily noticeable because I40 mileposts are used where the two roads are multiplexed downtown.
One area to be aware of is the junction of I65 and I40 southbound just beyond Rosa Parks Ave. exit 85.  The ramps are reversed from the normal configuration, and I40 west to Memphis is to the left, and continuing on I65 is to the right. The ramps then cross over.  There have been quite a few accidents caused by drivers realizing they are on the wrong ramp and slamming on the brakes and swerving.  I've even seen drivers backing up on the shoulder.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.