News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

I-35/Homestead Lane DDI opening

Started by route56, October 13, 2013, 05:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route56

Kansas now has a Diverging Diamond Interchange. The I-35 exit at Homestead Lane is now open.  Unlike many recent DDIs, this is a new interchange to serve the new BNSF intermodal facility between Edgerton and Gardner.

Here are my photos of the Ribbon Cutting on October 11th.

Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

route56

It seems that the Forum software is having problems digesting all of my pictures at once...

R.P.K.

route56

Final part of the set:

R.P.K.

Ned Weasel

Isn't this also Kansas's first installation of APL signage, or is there another that came first, of which I'm unaware?  Dancing arrow haters should be happy to see KDOT finally coming around to the 2009 MUTCD, but these APL signs appear to be just a little bit off from MUTCD specs.   :-/
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

route56

It is the first instance of arrow per lane signage that I'm aware of. What makes you think the new signs are off kilter?

R.P.K.

WichitaRoads

Great shots, Richie. I'll be headed up that way this week.. I think I'll exit at Homestead and try it out! Never driven a DDI before.

As for the variable speed limit signs... I've seen those at the site when I went up the last 2 times. How common are these sorts of signs? They caught me off guard the first time I saw them.

ICTRds

route56

Quote from: WichitaRoads on October 14, 2013, 12:18:43 AM
Great shots, Ritchie. I'll be headed up that way this week.. I think I'll exit at Homestead and try it out! Never driven a DDI before.

FTFY... my name does not contain the letter "t"

As for the variable speed limit signs... I've seen those at the site when I went up the last 2 times. How common are these sorts of signs? They caught me off guard the first time I saw them.

I think that's another first for KDOT... A "First in the state" trifecta, if you will :)

R.P.K.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: route56 on October 13, 2013, 11:09:33 PM
It is the first instance of arrow per lane signage that I'm aware of. What makes you think the new signs are off kilter?

The right-curve arrowheads are larger than the up arrowheads, and the two right-curve arrows don't even match each other (the far-right one is slightly shorter and has a slightly smaller arrowhead).

Very nice photos, by the way!
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

J N Winkler

Quote from: stridentweasel on October 13, 2013, 10:28:21 PMIsn't this also Kansas's first installation of APL signage, or is there another that came first, of which I'm unaware?

I am not aware of any other APL installations elsewhere in Kansas.

QuoteDancing arrow haters should be happy to see KDOT finally coming around to the 2009 MUTCD, but these APL signs appear to be just a little bit off from MUTCD specs.

The haters will get to keep on hating--KDOT is replacing the dancing-arrow signs on I-470 in Topeka in kind.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

WichitaRoads

Quote from: route56 on October 14, 2013, 12:56:10 AM
Quote from: WichitaRoads on October 14, 2013, 12:18:43 AM
Great shots, Ritchie. I'll be headed up that way this week.. I think I'll exit at Homestead and try it out! Never driven a DDI before.

FTFY... my name does not contain the letter "t"

I think that's another first for KDOT... A "First in the state" trifecta, if you will :)

Whoops! Sorry about that. Duly corrected.

ICTRds

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.